Garden shed - unsure of this one - advice, if poss?

Associate
Hi all,
I was hoping someone with more experience than me can help here. We are looking at buying a garden shed and this one looks OK but I am unsure what to do re the base. We have a paved path 4ft 3in in width so would this be OK or does it need extra work for a base? Also, the text in this says 'Some silicone around the windows on the outside would also be beneficial'.....Hmmmm?

Any comments would be appreciated, I am clueless on this subject, thank you:

Link:
https://urbangrow.co.uk/products/8x...iFnnP26Dec46HylSO4EVYGlxpn5THs1BoCPnYQAvD_BwE

If that it the shed you are buying the first thing I would do is buy 5 or 6 roofing lathes to put the base on - thats front to back - Then turn base upside down and clamp the battens together where two bases join then use bolts to hold them tight together.
Erect the side and bolt those together then front and back screw those together - make sure it doesnt move.
Fix roof on then bin the felt supplied and buy some thick stuff and get some felt fixing tar to put on roof first to stick felt to - then nail on.
Finally buy some guttering because if you dont the water dropping off roof will splash back up side of your shed and it won't last 5 min

The roofing lathes by the way keep the shed base off the ground and if they rot you can just lever shed up and replace them

That's a bit of a weird size for a shed, but that site seems expensive. Try www.tigersheds.com i really like the one we got which is a more standard 8x6 in size and was around £300 delivered.

Ideally you want to put them on a free draining surface like gravel, if you're putting it on paving stones try and get some treated lengths of timber to put the base on, they'll act as sacraficial bearers so they can rot from sitting in water instead of the shed base itself. You can replace them one at a time every few years.

I built a shed base for my motorbike shed, so I went full concrete, with a DPM as it was being powered from the house and would be used to keep bikes warm and dry over the winter.
What I would say is that it's much more work, but feels a lot more like a real room than any raised/suspended floor shed I have ever been in!
However, if I was to do it again I would make it bigger, as once you get to 8/10 size it's not that much more work to go a size up.
I built mine to a cheap shed I bought secondhand, so my size options were limited. However you will get a LOT more shed for your money if you buy secondhand.

Nope, not an attempt like that. I am extremely grateful for the advice, particularly about the guttering - great advice, that! Thank you so much!!

Thank you for that. Really appreciate your comments. I have come across this on other threads on here. Odd.

Not odd, it's a well used marketing tactic that is seen regularly. New account appears, asking some seemingly innocent questions about something or other, then drops in an external link, packed with tracking IDs...just like this one.

I'd suggest stripping the URL if you don't want be accused of being marketing account.

Well, I bought my shed from Tiger sheds. It's up, but not overly happy with nails sticking out of interior, some wood not treated, leaky windows, delivered 24 hours late (took time off work - Grr!) and customer services that don't get back to you.

Some interesting negative reviews on Trust Pilot (he says after buying the shed. Doh!)

Back
Top Bottom