Gargoyle - Good Family Network Solution

Soldato
OP
I don't believe their are any routers with inbuilt adsl modems that this will support. Not quite sure why but I think there is a reason.

Happy to be corrected though!

Soldato
OP
What is the issue you're having. I have 1.5.8 which is working well, not got to 9 as I am not sure what gain I get out of the plugin.

Really hope they put in the gust ssid as well (there is a how to in the feature requests).

Still really pleased with this firmware, my connection is now 15mb but this is still a great qos solution for the amount of streaming my family do (about 200gb a month!!) I no longer monitor the search or web patterns though - pretty much after the posts in here

Soldato
OP
I would suggest you post that on the Gargoyle forum, what I would be tempted to try is save your settings and then update without it restoring. I have had problems with previous updates where it needs to go to default to resolve issues

Soldato
OP
One is a commercial solution and one is an open source one.

Did you try resetting to default, rather than restoring?

Soldato
OP
If you have time can you try a firmware update but not keep the settings or restore. I know it seems the same but it isn't. I had one situation where I did an upgrade and after restore some of the qos menus were broke and the only solution was this it may not come to anything.

As soon as you do the update you will see if issue is resolved or not - assuming it is not showing. If that does resolve only a manual reinput will work

Other than that do you have the link to he gargoyle post, just needs someone with the no how to look at the code behind it to see what test is failing.

Soldato
OP
All I can think is no one has that router to comment :( It could be worth posting in openwrt - depends how much of a pain it is, I only use 1 channel (of my 2)

Mobster
Soldato
How's this going? Still working well?

I've just ordered the TP-Link TL-WDR3600 which apparently is well-supported by Gargoyle. I am only a bit concerned by the wireless speeds being 300Mbps compared to the 450Mbps I would have liked.

Therefore, I have also ordered the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 which apparently is supported by Gargoyle too (although not as well as the WDR3600), but this does have the 450Mbps on both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands that I am looking for.

The WDR3600 shoud be arriving tomorrow (and the WDR4300 perhaps too), so I'll post my thoughts tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Yes I still use mine, works very well and the QOS also works well. I also have a drive plugged into the USB and have that act as a drive for the nas drive

All in all wouldn't change it and works very nicely

Soldato
OP
If no other devices are on it will do that anyway, as more devices come on it splits the proportion accordingly. Now how I have set it up is devices per family member so we each get 20% and a catch all of 20%. If 2 members are on then it will give 50% each. In the acc control you can minimise ping.

To do it this way you need to set the IP's so they are set by the router in DHCP and then class to ip accordinly in QOS download. For download enable active congestion control and if your bandwidth is suffering the device will ramp it down accordingly to keep the congestion under control

probably best to look at the menus and holler if you need advice on a specific element

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't set it at 30! What that is used for is to determine if congestion occurs and if it is worse than that then it will start ramping down your bandwidth! So generally I would leave it at auto.

Back
Top Bottom