Gas Barbecue

Soldato
Numerous reasons?

Maybe I want to cook outside?
Can't remember the last time I managed to have a beer chicken, rack of ribs, numerous burgers and sausages and steaks on the go in the oven in my kitchen?
Also I don't buy this 'no difference in taste between a conventional oven grill and a gas bbq'
I mentioned convenience.

Not sure why these types of thread go on and on and on and on as some kind of real man e-peen fest.

I never said gas > charcoal or vice versa. OP stated he wanted something to not stink out kitchen. Concluded that gas for him was more convenient than charcoal. (which is 100% the case no matter how much or a pro you are at getting a charcoal bbq going.) So I told him go for it, I have a weber and can recommend. Mines actually 15 years old and still going strong.

Does get pretty pathetic if you think about it :D
No epeen involved. You want a gas BBQ get one but don't be kidding yourself you're actually bbqing. All you're doing is grilling outside.

Soldato
No epeen involved. You want a gas BBQ get one but don't be kidding yourself you're actually bbqing. All you're doing is grilling outside.

well technically, I am.
'barbecue
a meal or gathering at which meat, fish, or other food is cooked out of doors on a rack over an open fire or on a special appliance.'

Think my 'inferior' gas grill passes the requirements.

Caporegime
Unless you've chopped your own tree down and burned the wood to a nice set of embers and the started cooking on them you're not a "real man". Lumpwood, Briquettes, Gas, all for Betas /Tonso. :p

On topic we have a weber and love it. Took a while to get used to because it doesn't impart as much direct heat as a charcoal or some other gas BBQs so requires a slighty different way of cooking but if you want something to cook on consistently multiple times a week then it's the best option IMO. You get your flavour from the burning fat and the wood chips on all bbqs other than real wood anyway.

Soldato

Not true, you can perfectly well bbq with a gas one, barbequing being the indirect cooking of meat etc, which is easily achieveable with a gas bbq! I've done some beautiful slowly cooked hot smoked salmon fillets on a gas bbq before and had great results. You just have to know what you're doing and adjust yourset up a little but it's not a problem. It is harder to maintain a steady low temperature on a gas bbq but it's still possible. :)

I should mention I come to this from the view point of someone who has three charcoal and 2 gas bbqs and use all of them to various degrees.

Associate
OP
Looking at gas bottles for the weber which has a 27mm regulator fitted which only fits patio gas bottles. There are only two sizes 13kg or 5kg. I see only a 5kg bottle fits inside the barbecue which are around £25 and thats just for a refill.

Checking out calors website i see they do a 6kg protane gas bottle which looking at the dimensions (495x256) will fit inside and its only £18 a bottle! Has anyone swapped out the regulator on there gas bbq to get gas cheaper?

Man of Honour
The whole gas bashing always gets a bit pathetic and often you just know the people that shout loudest are probably not that skilled. I have both gas and charcoal weber barbecues and both have their place as far as I'm concerned. I've done awesome barbecued brisket sous vide, stick that in your anti-gas pipe and smoke it :p

To the OP a bargain on a weber is a great thing. The 310 has 3 burners so you are good for indirect cooking. You won't go wrong with that purchase.

Caporegime

So much complete drivel like the above.

The fact is there is no difference in taste between gas and charcoal. If you fidn a difference it is almost certainly that you haven't waited long enough for the charcoal to form embers and you are just coating the meat with bitter carcongenic compounds from unburnt charcoal.

When the meat is above the heat source allowing the fat and juices to drop down onto the heating elements, that is correctly called grilling although in Britain the word barbecue is often used. When the heating element is aboe the meat then you are broiling, and boiling inside in an electric oven is a very different to grilling outside over charcoal or gas heat.

If you are cooking low and slow then this is generally referred to as barbecue, and again gas, or charcaoal makes absolutely no difference, in fact gas can work much better to control temperatures and the additional carbon monoxide produced increases that lovely smoke ring by preserving the red color of the hemoglobin.

Soldato
Looking at gas bottles for the weber which has a 27mm regulator fitted which only fits patio gas bottles. There are only two sizes 13kg or 5kg. I see only a 5kg bottle fits inside the barbecue which are around £25 and thats just for a refill.

Checking out calors website i see they do a 6kg protane gas bottle which looking at the dimensions (495x256) will fit inside and its only £18 a bottle! Has anyone swapped out the regulator on there gas bbq to get gas cheaper?
Yes, as per my earlier post, I'm that tight, replacement regulator and gas gives a saving on first use, you can get regulators on the calor website but I got mine on eBay... It's not exactly difficult to screw the thing in, or certainly not worth the cost difference to me!

Don
@Armageus can reply to this thread without fear of sanction?

Post away - not going to ban you for having an opinion, just no need to essentially be "trolling" gas bbq owners. Both gas and charcoal are valid options, good food comes down to prep and technique. Smokers, Wood fired ovens, and anything else you can think of are another step entirely, but again everything has it's benefits and drawbacks.

Soldato
Post away - not going to ban you for having an opinion, just no need to essentially be "trolling" gas bbq owners. Both gas and charcoal are valid options, good food comes down to prep and technique. Smokers, Wood fired ovens, and anything else you can think of are another step entirely, but again everything has it's benefits and drawbacks.

Hey bud, my sincerest apologies if it came across as trolling. That was not my intent. And apologies to anyone in the thread who felt I was having a pop at them, again that was not my intent. I'll leave it at that and leave you chaps to discuss your fangangled gas contraptions :p no hard feelings I hope.

Man of Honour
Hey bud, my sincerest apologies if it came across as trolling. That was not my intent. And apologies to anyone in the thread who felt I was having a pop at them, again that was not my intent. I'll leave it at that and leave you chaps to discuss your fangangled gas contraptions :p no hard feelings I hope.

Don't be so fruity. I was having a go at you. Come on let your gas hate flow.

Soldato
That sounds good. Do you have a link to one?

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RELEASE-COUPLING-NOZZLE-COUPLER-CAMPING/dp/B008R68QF0

Pretty sure you can get them cheaper on ebay etc, I can't remember where I got mine from now.

If you are cooking low and slow then this is generally referred to as barbecue, and again gas, or charcaoal makes absolutely no difference, in fact gas can work much better to control temperatures and the additional carbon monoxide produced increases that lovely smoke ring by preserving the red color of the hemoglobin.

Myoglobin! ;)

Temp control on gas can be trickier depending on you bbq, if the burner (s) are turned right down and your temps are going too high, bringing them down and keeping them there can be more of a challenge... That said, indirect bbqing on either is still a wonderful thing! :)

Back
Top Bottom