Gas Boiler Recommendations?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Hi all, what 2 functional combi gas boiler would be a good choice in terms of reliability and good warranty?

I'm currently looking at 2 boilers: Viessmann Vitodens 050-W and slightly more expensive Vaillant ecoTEC pro VCW 236/5 - Does anyone have any experience with either boiler brand or model?

Edit:
Just to add, I'm helping to sort gas boiler for an elderly family member abroad, I suppose some factors like servicing, parts availability, price etc. will also have an impact on decision making.

The prices abroad form authorised dealers after conversion are:

- Viessmann Vitodens 050-W B0KA - £745

- Vaillant ecoTEC pro VCW 236/5-3KW - £1280

Valiant is nearly twice the price, both brands have authorised sellers/services within a reasonable distance meaning that parts and technicians/engineers with knowledge of these boilers wouldn't be a problem.

I recently spoke to my mate who also mentioned Valiant, he recently had to change it to WB as they no longer made parts for his Valiant, but it was robust. Viessmann seems to have a really good rep abroad and the tech which I spoke to about changing boilers has recommended it. Price is tempting, but I suppose you can't put a price on piece of mind.

Last edited:
What type do you want? Heat only? System? Combi?

My brother used to work in Service and Repair for British Gas, so installing new boilers and servicing existing ones. He tends to swear by Vaillant above others.

Reactions: IC3

My brother used to work in Service and Repair for British Gas, so installing new boilers and servicing existing ones. He tends to swear by Vaillant above others.
Combi, its for a 2 bed house. Few people in the trade told me that Vaillant is worth the extra cash for piece of mind, so that's good to hear! :)

Last two houses we've had Baxis.

Had a fault with one, they canme out quickly, replaced a part and charged nothing (I think they offer a longer warranty than Valliant).

I'd happily get another.

We've got a Valiant combi and can't fault it. Back when British Gas used to service it before we went direct to Valiant they all sempt more than happy it was one instead of something else.

First off, where abouts is abroad?

The reason being is that the brands differ depending on location.

In Spain ferroli, saunier duval and junkers are considered as top boilers.

Ferroli are not considered in good light in the UK,

In Italy ferroli and vokera are considered as top quality boilers.

Vaillant appears to be readily available across the continent so that might be the best brand to look into. But I would always say to stick to local knowledge for ease of servicing and support

First off, where abouts is abroad?

The reason being is that the brands differ depending on location.

In Spain ferroli, saunier duval and junkers are considered as top boilers.

Ferroli are not considered in good light in the UK,

In Italy ferroli and vokera are considered as top quality boilers.

Vaillant appears to be readily available across the continent so that might be the best brand to look into. But I would always say to stick to local knowledge for ease of servicing and support
Poland

Had a brand new Worcester fitted at my old house about 9+ years ago, which is still going strong. Only had one service. I know for sure my ex hasn't done one since we broke up 5-6 years ago too!

Friends In the trade have said Ideal are quite good and some like Baxi, although I'm sure I heard/read some bad things about their recent ones. Same for Worcester also.

That's because he works for BG and he'll install whatever makes him the most money.

OP, get a Viesseman, but get one with the Weather Comp sensor.

Last edited:
That's because he works for BG and he'll install whatever makes him the most money.

OP, get a Viesseman, but get one with the Weather Comp sensor.
The boiler I listed is compatible with the sensor, so will add that to the cart. Thanks

Forget weather compensation, you want OpenTherm.
I spoke to the guy who will be doing the boiler switch along with some maintenance work and he said the weather compensation sensor is useless, he suggested a indoor controller with a temp sensor would work better. Not sure if that's what OpenTherm refers to? I need to read up on it to educate myself...

Back
Top Bottom