Gas Boiler Recommendations?

I had a quick Google and the controls with the outside weather comp sensor were about £200 for valiant assuming you don’t have the required main controller already and are just missing the sensor, works on all ecotech boilers apparently.

Do your own research of course!!

I had a quick Google and the controls with the outside weather comp sensor were about £200 for valiant assuming you don’t have the required main controller already and are just missing the sensor, works on all ecotech boilers apparently.

Do your own research of course!!
Yeah thanks for the nudge - been Googling all morning. Seems the EU Tado version has proven compatibility too; just as good. I can see a listing on eBay where someone has bought the Vaillant control then gone with Nest. There are some non-smart Vaillant controllers with physical weather comp sensors that look good, too.

I guess if I am going vSmart with online weather comp, I may as well go Tado or Nest (lower cost, perhaps a bit more ubiquitous?). I never rate traditional firms doing clever IT stuff lol.

Do you have a hot water cylinder ? Valiant controls work well with this as it allows dual flow temps so you can still heat the hot water cylinder at 50-80C Flow temps with weather compensation control the heating flow temp.

The controls are great once you've done a bit of experitmenting with the heating curves. We moved from a large old open flu storage combo boiler to a system boiler/unvented cylinder and it reduced our gas usage by a smidge over 40%.

When you are looking for a new boiler you want one that can run the burner at the lowest output possible as you don't want the boiler to start cycling the burner as each time it stops the heat goes out the flu. This can also mean it can be more efficient heating more rooms to stop the boiler cycling than heating a single or a couple of rooms and having the boiler cycling frequently.

We have a busy house so we'd never get away with only heating a couple of rooms but I did try with 3/4 and it used less gas heating the whole house 06:30 to 21:00 than trying to heat up 3/4 rooms at different times as the boiler would cycle where heating the whole house it runs at minimum burn without cycling the burner.

By moving from heating the cylinder on demand to heating a couple of times a day when it's near empty the extra control over the hot water flow temps with a 22kw coil in the cylinder also allowed with a lower hot water storage temp of 50c to heat the cylinder with the boiler condensing the whole time only twice a day from multiple sorter bursts heating the cylinder back to full knocked another 10% ish off the summer gas bill which is only heating the water with fairly static gas cooker use, should have done this earlier.

Last edited:
Do you have a hot water cylinder ? Valiant controls work well with this as it allows dual flow temps so you can still heat the hot water cylinder at 50-80C Flow temps with weather compensation control the heating flow temp.

The controls are great once you've done a bit of experitmenting with the heating curves. We moved from a large old open flu storage combo boiler to a system boiler/unvented cylinder and it reduced our gas usage by a smidge over 40%.

When you are looking for a new boiler you want one that can run the burner at the lowest output possible as you don't want the boiler to start cycling the burner as each time it stops the heat goes out the flu. This can also mean it can be more efficient heating more rooms to stop the boiler cycling than heating a single or a couple of rooms and having the boiler cycling frequently.

We have a busy house so we'd never get away with only heating a couple of rooms but I did try with 3/4 and it used less gas heating the whole house 06:30 to 21:00 than trying to heat up 3/4 rooms at different times as the boiler would cycle where heating the whole house it runs at minimum burn without cycling the burner.

By moving from heating the cylinder on demand to heating a couple of times a day when it's near empty the extra control over the hot water flow temps with a 22kw coil in the cylinder also allowed with a lower hot water storage temp of 50c to heat the cylinder with the boiler condensing the whole time only twice a day from multiple sorter bursts heating the cylinder back to full knocked another 10% ish off the summer gas bill which is only heating the water with fairly static gas cooker use, should have done this earlier.
Yes I have a kingspan tank. That's useful to know. Might be best sticking with Vaillant then and just sinking the additional cost (there is a weather comp ecocomfort for sale on eBay and then I'll need to add an internet gateway I think).

If you are going for the full control system you'll need the VR66/2 wiring centre, the control valves for the heating/hot water cylinder and the temperature sensor for the cylinder connect to this and then ebus to the boiler.

It is easy to wire up, they don't use the trigger switch in the valves. It is better for the valves as it can open the valves before starting the pump and vice versa it also cycles them through out the year if the circuit isn't being used to help prevent them sticking.

If you are going for the full control system you'll need the VR66/2 wiring centre, the control valves for the heating/hot water cylinder and the temperature sensor for the cylinder connect to this and then ebus to the boiler.

It is easy to wire up, they don't use the trigger switch in the valves. It is better for the valves as it can open the valves before starting the pump and vice versa it also cycles them through out the year if the circuit isn't being used to help prevent them sticking.
Thanks, really appreciate this guidance..apols to op. I've seen a few sensoComforts on eBay with the box, so I assume that'll get me going. I can also see the vsmart ones which look a bit less sophisticated standalone but smart out of the box. Will do some reading.

Back
Top Bottom