gB2488HSU-B2 - 24" iiyama Red Eagle

Associate
OP
Ah, sorry buddy pretty new to monitor tech. I've not had a new monitor for about 8 years! I don't suppose you've reviewed this one have you pal? Lacking online reviews again.

Thanks again :)

55hz, guess that won't help with my 40fps /facepalm

Associate
According to a few Dutch websites, it's 30-120 Hz. I'm not sure about the 30 Hz floor because I have also seen 35 Hz, but I am 100% sure about the 120 Hz top. Setting the monitor to 144 Hz disables Freesync entirely.

Soldato
Yeah it's a pain in the backside, manufacturers fairly rarely quote that. As I've mentioned elsewhere the floor perhaps isn't so important with the LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) integrated into newer graphics drivers.

Associate
OP
Yeah it's a pain in the backside, manufacturers fairly rarely quote that. As I've mentioned elsewhere the floor perhaps isn't so important with the LFC (Low Framerate Compensation) integrated into newer graphics drivers.

Seems quite silly as often these new monitors the selling point is the freesync range and they don't disclose it :(

Associate
OP
Can anybody speak Dutch to translate a review? Sent my AOC back, I just couldn't handle the colours :(.

Scratch that, I don't think the YouTube video is the same. Asked a lad in the ocuk store today because they had the leaflets in store but didn't have any info on the monitor :(

Last edited:
Associate
As an owner I can say that the colours won't make you feel a lot better about your purchase. I haven't seen the AOC live but given on paper the Red Eagle 24 is better regarding colour, the AOC must be pretty awful as mine is quite bad compared to any IPS/VA and even good TN panels. I spent probably around an hour trying to calibrate it and ended up bringing up the colour saturation from Catalyst as otherwise the colours are just so ... dead. It has tons of brightness/contrast though, I keep mine at 19% brightness and sometimes it is still too bright. Blacks are quite good too. I think it lacks red. I guess I am used to watching so many Samung and LG panels.

To sum up, I'm quite happy with my £200 purchase and would have hated myself if I had the AOC given its appearance. Can't manufacturers learn that kids don't buy £200+ gaming hardware, old kids with money do, and they don't want BLING... The 120Hz thing is no big deal at all as the games you want Freesync on are usually not competitive FPS games where you might need the extra 24 Hz. I play CS:GO from time to time (wish I had more time :)) and it's a big improvement from any 60/75Hz panel. And the Freesync is worth every quid as you probably already know.

Associate
I am Dutch, what do you want to know from the Dutch reviews?

I am seriously considering this monitor, I had the AOC G2460PF but that thing just plain sucks... 120 Hz max on Freesync is not an issue since the difference between 120 and 144 Hz is not noticeable in my opinion, but I would have liked if iiyama was more informative about things like this, also the Freesync range.

If you need better colors, keep in mind that most 144 Hz TN panels have really bad colors. The LG 24GM77 is considered to be the best 144 Hz TN in 24" size color-wise, because it uses a true 8-bit TN panel. However, someone asked the Hardware.Info reviewer which screen was better: 24GM77 or Red Eagle, and he answered as follows (translated):

Both are good choices. The Iiyama is better color-wise, but the LG is more interesting for pure gaming because it has motion-blur reduction. The LG does not have Freesync though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers for both of the replies guys, its nice to get a bit of input regarding this monitor. I think I'll hold off a little longer and hopefully there will be a full review somewhere. I wish there were shops with this stuff setup, so hard to purchase a monitor without seeing it :(

Associate
Wasn't there a requirement of the high frequency being equal or greater than lowest*2.5 or something like that?

So, 35*2.5=87.5. It should be supported right? Based on 35-120 range.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers for both of the replies guys, its nice to get a bit of input regarding this monitor. I think I'll hold off a little longer and hopefully there will be a full review somewhere. I wish there were shops with this stuff setup, so hard to purchase a monitor without seeing it :(

The other thing is that most monitors are very far from calibrated out of the box (unless you are buying a professional photo editing monitor that comes with factory pre-calibration for optimal results) so even if it's in the shop, it is quite possible that the true capabilities of the monitor are different. I really want a review that do the work and calibrate the monitor so that there is a proper icc profile from a calibrator.

Soldato
I'm also interested in this screen if anyone else tries it and wants to share their opinion, or spots any reviews. I'm one of those odd people who only wants a 24" 1080p screen, but I'd like to try Freesync, I was going to go for the AOC before all the poor reports.

Also, anyone know if ovetclockers are likely to stock it, I see they have the B1.

Edit - ignore that second question, I can see it listed now, sure it wasn't when I looked last night...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Forget the AOC Mark, the colours were terrible even with PCM2 helping me out. I have a PIC of it next to my 8 year old Samsung syncmaster and it puts it to shame :(! 24" 1080p is fine for me as well, maybe we are just odd :)
zdLw6.jpg

Both are TN panels as well

Last edited:
Soldato
Forget the AOC Mark, the colours were terrible even with PCM2 helping me out. I have a PIC of it next to my 8 year old Samsung syncmaster and it puts it to shame :(! 24" 1080p is fine for me as well, maybe we are just odd :)
Both are TN panels as well

Oh don't worry, I gave up on the AOC some time back thanks to the thread on here.

Interestingly I'm also using a Samsung thats about 8 years old. I'm happy to stick with TN, but obviously want it to be fairly decent (by TN standards)

Edit -just noticed we have the same keyboard as well! :)

Associate
Anyone ordered it yet? I've compared the Hardware.Info test results with the results from the LG 24GM77 and it is a close call a lot of times. The colors on the iiyama should be a fair bit better than the AOC. And it is a lot better than the GB2488HSU-B1 in pretty much every aspect.

I will order mine at the end of this month I think because I can't wait for the ViewSonic XG2401 anymore, I have no idea what the Freesync range is and I know it's available end of May in Europe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom