• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate

That's roughly equivalent to a 2Ghz 1080ti which is impressive if true given the 2080 should still have some OC headroom left. Timespy is DX12 so maybe we are seeing the async capabilities of the 2080 push it ahead? Will be interesting to see if the performance holds up in actual games

Of course its also from wccftech so you have to take it with a health pinch of salt.

Soldato

So nothing to do with an NVIDIA card, then?

Call me crazy, but i'm now seriously considering ordering a second 2080 Ti also.

I've pre-ordered one as i'm coming back to PC gaming after a decade long hiatus and figured if i'm going to do it, then i'm going to do it properly, and have put together an absolute top of the range machine in every department. The only piece left to get is the video card, which made getting a 2080 Ti the obvious choice since i'm using a 4k monitor. But if NvLink turns out to be far better than SLI in terms of compatibility and performance, then perhaps getting a second card, to get closer to 4K with ray-tracing on, would be worth it.

Don't, at least not until there's an inkling of evidence to suggest SLI support is being buffed.

Caporegime
So nothing to do with an NVIDIA card, then?

Makes little difference if it is or not, it just shows they will shoehorn coolers on that have potential issues. The 980ti strix also had a weird setup were 2 of the heatpipes didn't even touch the gpu, asus later claimed these were "auxiliary heatpipes". Considering the price premium asus charge for no good reason i would expect not to have to diy the heatsink myself. Not saying its gonna be like that on newer cards but as they have done it in the past it wouldn't surprise me.

Soldato
Makes little difference if it is or not, it just shows they will shoehorn coolers on that have potential issues. The 980ti strix also had a weird setup were 2 of the heatpipes didn't even touch the gpu, asus later claimed these were "auxiliary heatpipes".

So as I surmised above, you're talking vicariously about older products.

Soldato
Hardly "vicariously" considering i owned 2 of them. And what difference does it make if its an older or newer product? The vega strix has the vrm issues and its only a year old.

Because you're posturing, so anything you say isn't credible. I tell you the 1080Tis I've owned have no problems, and you post about Vega. That in itself says everything you need to know.

Unless we're going backward in time, I'd be confident there are no such problems there (for the price you'd hope so). Personally I went with the Duke on launch day, but the cooler is too long for most chassis so I'll be taking it off.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Am I missing something here with those "leaked" firestrike/timespy results for the 2080?

I've just looked at a review for the MSI 1080Ti Gaming X and it's scoring roughly the same?

i.e. in time spy, the GTX 1080Ti - 10166 graphics, the 2080 - 10,659

Hardly "smashing" the 1080Ti is it? and for over £100 more and 3gb less VRAM for use at 4k

Caporegime
Because you're posturing, so anything you say isn't credible. I tell you the 1080Ti's I've owned have no problems, and you post about Vega. That in itself says everything you need to know.

Unless we're going backward in time, I'd be confident there are no such problems there (for the price you'd hope so).

How am i "posturing" exactly? I'm speaking from experience on the 2 cards i owned, and the talk on the vega strix thread. One card had heat pipes that did virtually nothing, and the other had wonky vrm cooling that you need to diy to make it effective. There may not have been issues on the 1080ti strix but that doesn't rule out potential issues on forthcoming cards from asus.

Soldato
How am i "posturing" exactly? I'm speaking from experience on the 2 cards i owned, and the talk on the vega strix thread. One card had heat pipes that did virtually nothing, and the other had wonky vrm cooling that you need to diy to make it effective. There may not have been issues on the 1080ti strix but that doesn't rule out potential issues on forthcoming cards from asus.

And the FTW cards used to catch fire. Yet i'm pretty confident the new ones won't, though. The 980Ti Strix cooler competed on equal ground as other AIB cards, btw.

Back
Top Bottom