Geforce Now

Soldato
Is this the same thing that's on the Nvidia Shield set top devices? I've spotted something similar (could be the same thing actually), but when I looked ages and ages ago, it mentioned that my 40mbps internet wasn't fast enough and there might be some delay.

Associate
Essentially this is Nvidia's game streaming service, similar to using Nvidia Shield to stream games from your PC to your TV. The only difference is you are now streaming the game from Nvidia to your PC/Laptop.

It will be interesting to see what they charge and what the take up is like for this service. For those that don't have the upfront cash or the expertise to build their own gaming rig, but do want to play the latest PC games with all the bells and whistles it could be a good option if it's priced right. But it will need a good/stable internet connection to get the most from it.

Man of Honour
I hope it's good, been waiting for something like this for years.
I wonder how long till we can get access, requested beta but not expecting to get an invite I bet it's real limited.

Would save me a load on laptop and desktops,no need to upgrade either.
Wonder what internet speed it needs and how much it uses an hour.
Don't play FPS these days. Things like 4x games, rimworld, ksp etc and think it would work very well with these sort of ganes.

Oh less excited now
60fps @ 720p requires 25mbps
60fp @ 1080p requires 50mbps
They're aiming for under 30ms.

Fine for around the house but not out and about. Although I usually see a minimum of10mbps when on 4g and often much higher.
Shame quiter, longer battery life, far cheaper laptops would be so nice, and benefit of virtually never needing to upgrade desktop.
Oh well maybe in another 5 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
**** like this is pretty much useless when the country's internet infrastructure is like something from the dark ages of the early 2000s. Example, I'm slap bang in the middle of a large City and yet am stuck with 1MB/s on ADSL2 over copper with no access to fibre at all.

Soldato
I like this idea as it removes the need for upgrading a computer once a year to keep up with current trends.

Just need a cheapo box and a 2200g

HAz

HAz

Soldato
Long way of still this. I think you’re loookkng at a virgin media minimum for low latency and bandwidth. Ideally see this possible with fibre to home

Soldato
Got an email saying my place is secure... Juyst got a cheap lonovo yogabook so will be nice to see this working (same as shield TV i spose). I have Virgin 200mb so it should be a dream! Also, 5G internet will solve most of the problems you lot are going on about.

Soldato
**** like this is pretty much useless when the country's internet infrastructure is like something from the dark ages of the early 2000s. Example, I'm slap bang in the middle of a large City and yet am stuck with 1MB/s on ADSL2 over copper with no access to fibre at all.
That's real rough mate. My condolences

Associate
I'm on it now..... gave in and paid a small fee for an activation code.

Early impressions are mixed.......... it doesn't seem to work on my main PC. All I get is a black screen sometimes with the games audio. On checking the forum it seems I'm not the only one.

My microservers does run it however and runs PUBG on ultra at 60fps..........

There is a little input lag but it' minimal and after a few games you get used to it.

Permabanned
Don't bother with this - I had onLive, which is the technology this is all based on - that company flopped and you lose all games registered to them.

Until game companies give access to both downloadable game + key AND access to game stream, it's not worth it.

I wholely wish it success because it's the way forward (especially with upcoming 5G), but we are just not ready for it now.

Personally I would like to see this service for mobile. Samsung Dex would love this.

Associate
Don't bother with this - I had onLive, which is the technology this is all based on - that company flopped and you lose all games registered to them.

Until game companies give access to both downloadable game + key AND access to game stream, it's not worth it.

I wholely wish it success because it's the way forward (especially with upcoming 5G), but we are just not ready for it now.

Personally I would like to see this service for mobile. Samsung Dex would love this.

This let' me play my steam library at a higher frame rate than my pc's do.

So I own the games and if they pull the plug on the service I still own the games in steam......... although granted I may not have the hardware!

Associate
Just signed up to shadow.tech, you get a full cloud PC to load you games on. It takes 5 days for them to set up your account so I don’t yet know how well it works, I do get 370Mb/s on my Virgin connection so should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom