Poll: General election voting intentions poll

Voting intentions in the General Election?

• Alliance Party of Northern Ireland

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Conservative

Votes: 254 41.6%
  • Democratic Unionist Party

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Green Party

Votes: 40 6.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 83 13.6%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 31 5.1%
  • Not voting/will spoil ballot

Votes: 38 6.2%
  • Other party (not named)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • Plaid Cymru

• Respect Party

• Scottish National Party

Votes: 25 4.1%
  • Social Democratic and Labour Party

• Sinn Fein

• UKIP

Votes: 129 21.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tories 'to match Labour spending' - 3 September 2007.

A Conservative government would match Labour's projected public spending totals for the next three years, shadow chancellor George Osborne has said.

Yet the Tory narrative over the last few years has been that Labour bankrupted the country through wreckless spending. The banking sector is innocent of course, the 2008 crash and resulting bailouts never happened, it's all those immigrants and benefit claimants to blame so we'll punish them and still not make a dent in reducing the deficit.

Last edited:
Ed apologised live on tv. Labour caused it no matter how it is dressed up, even Ed knows this.

Yes, and it was one of the big rounds of applause received in the UK election debate on Thursday when Clegg said that Miliband should have apologised for crashing the economy. It happened under Labours control, mistakes were made and they made them.

Yes, and it was one of the big rounds of applause received in the UK election debate on Thursday when Clegg said that Miliband should have apologised for crashing the economy. It happened under Labours control, mistakes were made and they made them.

Even Blair admitted Labour should have cut unnecessary expenditure and prepared the UK for the looming crisis.

I did that "who should I vote for" online questionnaire last night, ticked all the sections and it said it would take an hour to go through it.
Felt quite productive afterwards having completed it before getting bored to tears with it.

Results..
Ukip 30%
Conservatives 30%
Labour 20%
Liberal 20%

About as much use as chocolate teapot then

Historical Statistics - UK Parliament
www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn05745.pdf

This note provides statistics on public sector borrowing (the budget deficit), public sector debt and government debt interest payments. The note is purely statistical – there is no analysis of the data.

The charts below show public sector net borrowing, public sector net debt and debt interest payments. The data are in the table below the charts. Please note that the borrowing and interest payments charts start in 1955/56 but the debt chart covers a shorter time period, starting in 1974/75. All data after 2013/14 are forecasts from the Office for Budget Responsibility.

So going only with the facts and not fantasy predictions for the future...

UK annual deficit
2002/03 - £26.9b
2003/04 - £31.6b
2004/05 - £43.5b
2005/06 - £41.4b
2006/07 - £36.9b
2007/08 - £40.9b
<at this point loads of 'benefits scroungers' materialised into existence, there was also some totally irrelevent banking crisis>
2008/09 - £100.8b
2009/10 - £153.5b
2010/11 - £134.9b
2011/12 - £113.4b
2012/13 - £119.7b
2013/14 - £98.5b

Biggest issue I can see is no party is willing to address the problem with housing and the housing market. 125,000 new first time buyer homes by 2020! It's absolutely pathetic.

We need large scale construction of homes.

Historical Statistics - UK Parliament
www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/sn05745.pdf

So going only with the facts and not fantasy predictions for the future...

UK annual deficit
2002/03 - £26.9b
2003/04 - £31.6b
2004/05 - £43.5b
2005/06 - £41.4b
2006/07 - £36.9b
2007/08 - £40.9b
<at this point loads of 'benefits scroungers' materialised into existence, there was also some totally irrelevent banking crisis>
2008/09 - £100.8b
2009/10 - £153.5b
2010/11 - £134.9b
2011/12 - £113.4b
2012/13 - £119.7b
2013/14 - £98.5b

What's the betting they'll leave a note saying 'haha there's no money left lulz' when they get kicked out.

Biggest issue I can see is no party is willing to address the problem with housing and the housing market. 125,000 new first time buyer homes by 2020! It's absolutely pathetic.

+1 housing is ridiculous, we need to build and push down prices so normal people can buy

+1 housing is ridiculous, we need to build and push down prices so normal people can buy

We're building enough houses, here's my suggested three-pronged approach to solve the housing crisis by reducing demand:

a) control immigration to the UK (duh) to make sure housing stock is adequate for the increase in demand;
b) increase tenants rights e.g. rent controls - this has the dual effect of discouraging buy-to-let and reduces the pressure on tenants to buy a property;
c) punitive council tax bills for any property left vacant for say more than 6 months, eventually I'd like to see councils given the power to compulsory purchase empty properties but for now, this would be a reasonable first step.

Torn between conservatives and ukip. Conservatives are doing pretty well and at least they realise we need cuts. UKIP might address the immigration problem and could get it under control. Being in education labour worry me since they will overturn all conservative changes at a very late stage in the day.

The election hasn't started yet....and they already have two MPs.

Not anymore they don't. All MPs lost their MP status when the election campaign began. The officers of state - the PM et al - keep their jobs as officers of state (but not as MPs unless reelected) until a new government is formed.

We're building enough houses, here's my suggested three-pronged approach to solve the housing crisis by reducing demand:

a) control immigration to the UK (duh) to make sure housing stock is adequate for the increase in demand;
b) increase tenants rights e.g. rent controls - this has the dual effect of discouraging buy-to-let and reduces the pressure on tenants to buy a property;
c) punitive council tax bills for any property left vacant for say more than 6 months, eventually I'd like to see councils given the power to compulsory purchase empty properties but for now, this would be a reasonable first step.

And yet you completely fail to mention the other key driver of rent costs, housing benefit. It is almost like hurting successful people is more important than actually fixing the problem...

I thought it was interesting that Rachel Riley doesn't even own a home and that she rents.

As Rachel Riley mentioned, tax empty properties.

Totally agree, I think its because the media don't see a problem so brush over the subject.

Media are part of the establishment.

No, he apologised for Labour not being tougher in regulating the UK finance sector when the crash happened. Had the Conservatives been in power at the time odds are there'd have been even less regulation resulting in a larger bailout/debt than Labour left behind.

But a much bigger surplus so we wouldn't be needing all the cuts that we have now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom