Getting cut, literally!

Soldato
OP
Well I went and had a very light session, less than 50% of my old max lifts from 3 weeks ago.

I stuck to a chest/shoulders/tricep routine, bench pressing was the least comfortable due to positioning on the bench placing a lot of stretch over the abdomen but apart from this I didn't have any issues.

Today I've got the worst DOMS I've had in a long long time, particularly in my chest - who knew a 40kg bench press could do this to me!

3 weeks of antibiotics, inactivity and recovery have also wreaked havoc on my energy levels, Monday was my first day back at work, fell to sleep at 7pm that night and nailed a solid 12 hours. Yesterday I felt lethargic and slow in the gym (to be expected), had another long sleep but today I feel so tired and drained, I imagine I'll be asleep by 7pm again.

I'm planning to workout every other day at the moment before going back in to a 6 days per week plan.

Soldato
OP
Had a back session yesterday, steered away from compound movements to minimise core bracing (no deadlifts or BOR's).

Feeling absolutely worn out today!

I'm planning to hit a light leg session early tomorrow morning so that the DOMS are minimised for work on Monday. Not planning to squat or leg press, will be doing more isolation based exercises which don't require core flexion - extensions and that sort of thing.

Soldato
Phew, I was genuinely worried for your health before you replied

Glad you're in good spirits and on the mend - gym strength will come back soon enough. DOMS first though ;)

Soldato
OP
4 weeks post op was Tuesday, tomorrow is 1 calendar month - this morning I deadlifted 100kg with ease but I'm still not allowing myself to "try" on any core heavy compound movements.

2 weeks to go before I should be able to really exert myself again, at present I still feel the 3 weeks of drugs and antibiotics are sapping energy levels though.

Soldato
I'd avoid even 100kg deadlifts at the moment. I dove back in to lifting a bit early after my chest surgery and have a couple of hard scar tissue lumps. I can't say for definite that they are as a result of my return to lifting, but it's so much wiser to err on the side of caution.

Soldato
Hey mate, thanks for pointing me in the direction of this. I may have overlooked it but can I ask how much surgery was? Might start saving as it's still an option I may go for based on our brief discussion and looking at your success.

Soldato
OP
The surgery cost me £7,200, and this covers all the after care, follow ups and compression garments and two nights in the hospital - The London Wellbeck hospital with surgeon Nick Percival. I paid 50% upfront, then put the remaining 50% on an interest free for 24 month credit card which I took out especially for this surgery.

I took a couple of more pics today which I'll arrange to upload here and also to the other website I pointed you towards yesterday- things are looking good!

Soldato
CHK4, if that cost is prohibitive, a lot of people (myself and another forum member included) travel to Poland to have the surgery done. The results are just the same, and clinics are very professional. If you want, I can point you in the right direction.

Soldato
The surgery cost me £7,200, and this covers all the after care, follow ups and compression garments and two nights in the hospital - The London Wellbeck hospital with surgeon Nick Percival. I paid 50% upfront, then put the remaining 50% on an interest free for 24 month credit card which I took out especially for this surgery.

I took a couple of more pics today which I'll arrange to upload here and also to the other website I pointed you towards yesterday- things are looking good!
Awesome mate thanks, that was a bit more than I expected! You say after care and follow ups, how long does that last for like is there a timeline?
CHK4, if that cost is prohibitive, a lot of people (myself and another forum member included) travel to Poland to have the surgery done. The results are just the same, and clinics are very professional. If you want, I can point you in the right direction.

If you wouldn't mind mate, it's something I want to start looking in to so I know all avenues available to me. Thanks mate.

Soldato
OP
Follow ups included dressing changes with the nurses, monitoring of healing etc.

I unfortunately suffered with a internal bleeding about a week post surgery and had a rather large haematoma. It required daily draining with the doctor in the surgery (which he opened especially on Saturdays and Sundays to see me) and also an infection in my tummy button which ended up requiring 3 weeks of antibiotics (flucloxacillin, metronidazole and ciprofloxacin), it was only after swab results came back that it was decided that ciprofloxacin was the one needed.

I live in Guernsey however, we don't have the NHS here, so follow ups included with a local practice was very important for me. I'm not sure what would happen if you needed any further care post-operatively but I'd imagine the NHS would help, even if the doctor you see hasn't got an area of expertise in cosmetic surgery.

Any revisions which need to be carried out (should the results have been unsatisfactory, not as expected by both the surgeon and I) would be covered in that fee too.

It's the extra peace of mind which going with a local UK doctor that you'd get, and a tighter support network.

Soldato
If you wouldn't mind mate, it's something I want to start looking in to so I know all avenues available to me. Thanks mate.

The clinic has a Facebook page called "Adam Kalecinski Poland" (EuropeSurgery) - whilst they have a website, this page acts more as a community and is a fantastic place to ask others for the experiences and pictures. In comparison for costs, to get my gyno surgery in the UK would've cost me £5k+, where as it costs around £2.5k over there. And I THINK that may have included accommodation and flights (booked separately by yourself).

Hit me up on FaceBook if you need any further info (Wills Sayers).

Soldato
OP
Welcome back hamstring DOMS, you've been missed!

It's amazing how just 3 weeks off can effect you so massively - far less volume, far less total weight moved and the DOMS are 10x worse.

Soldato
OP
I'd avoid even 100kg deadlifts at the moment. I dove back in to lifting a bit early after my chest surgery and have a couple of hard scar tissue lumps. I can't say for definite that they are as a result of my return to lifting, but it's so much wiser to err on the side of caution.

I missed this when you first posted it, sorry.

I'm treating my scar well, doing lots of massage on it, as well as general lymphatic massage and also am treating it with silicone strips. The incision / scar isn't what's going to cause an issue, the issue will arise under the skin between the scar and my rib cage if anything at all.

In a tummy tuck the skin is lifted away from the muscle corset all the way from the incision to the rib cage, it's this section of skin which needs to bed back down correctly to get the best results. I'm not swelling after exercising which is a good sign, and things are still being taken lightly in the gym - a 100kg deadlift is 53% of my 1 rep max.

Soldato
OP
Need to ease up a bit, my tummy button started leaking / bleeding after today's session. I think it's down to positioning and the stretch placed over the abdomen when bench pressing.

Soldato
OP
6 weeks post surgery today, I'm feeling much more normal and almost back to myself - gym sessions aren't just wiping me out like they were a few weeks ago.

Of course I'm not at my strongest or back to full health, but I feel respectable in the gym - yesterday was back day and I was pendlay rowing 70kg comfortably and went up to a 160kg deadlift for 1 - no pain or difficulty so I'm happy.

Today was chest/shoulder/tri's - bench pressing is still the most uncomfortable exercise due to the position with exaggerated stretch placed over the abdomen - keeping the weights light here but pushing for more on the plate loaded seated pressing machines.

Give it two more weeks and I think I'll be able to start training properly again.

Soldato
OP
Had a back workout yesterday, did some heavy deadlift singles, 160, 170, 175 and a 180 and it all felt good!

I did bent over rows up to 75kg too without issue/drama :)

Back
Top Bottom