Getting endless SCAM calls purporting to be from TalkTalk

Capodecina
Soldato
Many years ago I was a TalkTalk customer. For a number of reasons I moved away. I am now receiving an endless stream of 'phone calls from people in a call centre who appear to be from the Indian sub-continent - i.e. they don't speak intelligible English.

The most recent one told me that he was calling from TalkTalk and that they were getting regular warnings that there was a problem with my computer. The previous call said that the problem was with my Router.

I said that I wasn't a TalkTalk customer - he asked if I was with BT - I said that I was and he confirmed that that was right - I'm not with BT either.

He then went on to say that there was a problem with my Windows computer - I said that I used an Apple Laptop - he didn't hesitate, "Oh yes, that's right, your Apple computer." Will these Scammers never learn?

I guess that this is happening because the children at TalkTalk inadvertently released their customer database into the public domain a while back.

Man of Honour
install truecaller and then don't answer and block numbers and change phone number, once its out there its a lost cause.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Really? I was an unwitting TalkTalk customer a while back (they bought-out the ISP I was with) so I'm very annoyed to hear this.
From October 2015 [LINK]
Police are investigating a "significant and sustained cyber-attack" on the TalkTalk website, the UK company says. The phone and broadband provider, which has over four million UK customers, said banking details and personal information could have been accessed. TalkTalk said potentially all customers could be affected but it was too early to know what data had been stolen.
As it happens, I believe that TalkTalk subsequently announced that next to nothing had gone missing and what had gone missing wasn't really thast important (to them at least). It was because of their carelessness and casual subsequent reaction that I wouldn't go anywhere near TalkTalk now.

Associate
I've often wondered if the scammers are in the same call center that Talktalk use. If I have the time I'll play along for a while, so they are wasting time with me rather than someone that might fall for giving them remote access to their PC.

Soldato
So you aren't getting scam calls from Talk Talk then - You are getting calls from scammers claiming to be from Talk Talk...

A bit different.....

Soldato
So you aren't getting scam calls from Talk Talk then - You are getting calls from scammers claiming to be from Talk Talk...

A bit different.....

Indeed - extremely misleading thread title. There is absolutely zero chance that these calls are actually coming from Talk Talk. Further more, a very quick google search will reveal that Talk Talk are warning customers about this very thing:

https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/scam-phone-calls

Quite why the OP would assume that a large company such as Talk Talk would be attempting to scam customers I don't know.

Soldato
when they ask you to open windows say you have done so, when they ask you to DL something ask how. Keep them going for as long as possible before asking if you can close your window yet as its raining and you are getting wet.

Associate
I think they just say they're from BT or Talktalk because they're big companies so the odds of them being right are higher than claiming to be from a smaller ISP like Zen. We've had them call claiming to be from Talktalk, even though we are not nor have ever been Talktalk customers. They've also called claiming to be from Sky. We have Sky tv but no phone or broadband. My grandparents have had them call yet they've never owned a computer or internet service.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Indeed - extremely misleading thread title.
You're quite right, I really should have titled the thread "Getting endless SCAM calls from someone pretending to be a representative of a high profile communications company that may have managed to lose the banking details and personal information of as many as four million UK customers."

However, that probably wouldn't have fitted and whilst I am quite sure that TalkTalk weren't trying to scam me, the various callers did say that they worked for TalkTalk and I thought that the information might be helpful to someone less well informed than you - or in fact, me.

install truecaller and then don't answer and block numbers and change phone number, once its out there its a lost cause.

Is there something similar for mobiles? I've been on TPS for years but the cheeky beggers are starting to ignore the law as of late 2016 / early 2017. Cold callers serve no purpose in life imo. Granted, I did want work while I was on the dole, but I volunteered for Age UK while I was looking then I eventually found paid work.

I do have Calls Blocker Pro that is good for blocking number ranges e.g. numbers that start with 0845 300 XXX (where XXX is the range), but they keep phoning from other number ranges too. It's usually ambulance chasers or I have won something in a competition, when I google the numbers (no way do I ever answer them).

Man of Honour
truecaller is fo mobiles and tps only works for legit uk companies, it doesn't solve illegal or foreign.
if you meant landlines, I believe you can get true caller landline phone.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
These calls purporting to be from someone at TalkTalk continue . . . I have received two this morning.

I played along with the first one to see what he would ask me to do. When he sensed that I was less than cooperative he hung up.

The second one was very convincing, he happily gave me his name and details which sounded plausible and kept asking why I was so suspicious. Since I no longer have a TalkTalk account they would have been wrong. He was not willing to call me back on a number that was not withheld.

I realise that most people on this forum wouldn't fall for this sort of scam. However, the callers can be VERY convincing - they would be even more convincing if they spoke half-decent English and didn't call from what appears to be a street market. It seems quite clear to me that the Scammers have access to a copy of the hacked TalkTalk database since they never suggest that I am a BT customer.

Perhaps Scam calls would merit a Public Sevice "STICKY"? Meanwhile, here is the [LINK] that someone thoughtfully provided earlier.

Associate
Mum had another one the other day. She's well aware of these scams. The call went something like this

Caller: Hello I'm calling from your internet provider about a problem with your computer

Mum: Who did you say you were from?

Caller: Your internet provider

Mum: And who are they?

Caller: The company that provides your internet connection

Mum: And what is the name of that company?

Caller: &@!? off!

*click*

Back
Top Bottom