Getting into development after University.

I wouldn't.

Agreed, no idea why a budding developer would need to do PRINCE2.

@AceModder, what sort of stuff would you want to do eventually?
Reason I ask is that C++ isn't massively beginner friendly and depending on what you want to do other languages will probably have a less steep learning curve.

I'm in the same position as you. But for very different reasons.

I want to learn coding for my own fun and cannot afford to quit work (which I love anyway) as I'm 32 and have a family to look after.

Anyway I started reading up on c++ and looking at basic tutorials. Only started last night.

So far I have written 3 console programs. I feel that 3D work and such like will be a million light years away. I think that basic Windows application work shouldn't be too difficult short term. I'm seeing what level I hit in a few months though.

The biggest problem for some people I reckon would be being able to sit and not want to fire up steam and play a game etc.

Just keep learning and mess around. I learnt C/++ in my early teens (only 20 now) but I had a lot of time back then and used to spend my summer breaks and every night programming stuff :). Don't give up and before you know it you'll be working on some cool projects. If you're wanting to go into 3D, DirectX is pretty fun to work with (though quite difficult too, it's massive).

I could gather all my lecture powerpoints from my Uni which is based on C#.

Starts off with C# windows form then moves onto ASP.NET environment and building games with Silverlight and XML / XAML (which is what I'm doing now at Uni :D)

If you want, give a shout!

Wow a whole discussion going.
Cheers for the opinions, and especially the resource links, makes it easier to tell what i'll get along with.

One other question though, when i was looking into Proffesional certifications, they mentioned that the C# framework is being updated in July?

I highly doubt it would be a monumental shift, but does anyone know of anything i should be aware of? Or can i just ignore it until i'm more confident?

Thanks

One other question though, when i was looking into Proffesional certifications, they mentioned that the C# framework is being updated in July?

I highly doubt it would be a monumental shift, but does anyone know of anything i should be aware of? Or can i just ignore it until i'm more confident?
C# is being updated by Microsoft at quite a pace compared to other languages. C# 5.0 came out in August last year, to coincide roughly with Visual Studio 2012 aimed at Windows 8.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. The language never really changes, it only gets new features. The biggest thing about C# 5 was the asynchronous stuff they added, that whilst useful, you wouldn't be penalized for not knowing. Depending on where you go, you might not even be able to use the latest and greatest versions anyway.

For example, I work for a software firm who write software for banks. Our server software runs on Java 6 - we can't upgrade to Java 7 (even though there are lovely new features such as try-with-resources and inferred generics) because that'd involve making all our clients shift up to Java 7. Making a bank upgrade core software? Good luck with that.

I could gather all my lecture powerpoints from my Uni which is based on C#.

Starts off with C# windows form then moves onto ASP.NET environment and building games with Silverlight and XML / XAML (which is what I'm doing now at Uni :D)

If you want, give a shout!

I'm learning C#, if you could send me those lecture powerpoints I would be ever so greatfull. Currently I'm going through Head First C#

If you're heading into web development as a single freelancer/self employed then just knocking up web pages is only half the job. You'll be expected to be doing some design and UI stuff, presentation is just as important as fancy coding for web pages ;)

Back
Top Bottom