Getting Married in June - Pre Nups / Advice

Permabanned
Get married in a country where pre nuptials are legally binding? Shift your assets to your parents name if they are fairly young? The latter will have tax implications. Put them in trust? Lots of options, the starry eyed naivety about married life in here is frightening ;) Cover your backside!

Man of Honour
Why do you feel the need to get married? Especially now after 15 years?

I can’t suggest one way or the other for the OP, but I suggested that we get married, after ten years together, (no kids), because, particularly as I’m 19 years her senior, it came home to me that it would make life easier for her if I shuffled off this mortal coil, and we were legally married
When my mother died unexpectedly, she had virtually shirt buttons in her bank account, but as her next of kin, I was entitled to it, but I had to jump through hoops to get around £800, I had to furnish her death certificate, my birth certificate, and her marriage certificate to my dad, thank Christ they didn’t ask for her marriage certificate for her second marriage, though why would they?
I can only imagine the aggravation involved in going to my bank, and saying, “I lived with Jean-François Blank for X years, he’d want me to have what’s in his account.”
Even though she is named in my will, I’m guessing that it would be smoother sailing if the will said, “I leave whatever to my wife”, and she can then supply a marriage certificate.

Soldato
I’ve paid half my missus’s mortgage for 13 years. I don’t feel entitled to, and wouldn’t take a penny if we split.

If you own property before marriage (not the family home) then split, it shouldn’t be part of a divorce settlement imo.

Caporegime
This is why we have Ally McBeals - to sort out people who understand law and provide informed opinion of said law(s) and those who have opinions but no understanding of the law.

Although I prefer post #107 for content.

Back
Top Bottom