1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Married in June - Pre Nups / Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbk1972, Apr 11, 2017.

1. DampCat

Capodecina

The UK courts wouldn't let a family be ruined prenuptial or otherwise. In OPs case they'd likely overturn the prenup as it would be unfair to the kids.

They remain legally binding though, contrary to what people here have been saying. They're just not The Word of God, as they might be in the US etc.

I think for the average person they're kind of unnecessary, but there are definitely scenarios where they make sense.

2. Hades

Capodecina

The threads have pretty much been about the same subject over several threads. I'm seeing a similar change in attitude across my friends and family too. I think men are just wising up. Some may agree with it and others won't. But each person has to find their own path in life.

3. Freefaller

Man of Honour

That would be unlikely as that is your profession to make a living. However if a banker with lots of assets in either cash, stocks or property for example then liquidation of those would make sense, as it doesn't mean you can't earn. You'll just have to start again.

If I were that way inclined I'd just never divulge my offshore interests or assets. Rather than fuss over a prenup.

I can understand it for men or women that are in position of power or influence to protect themselves, but it does depress me somewhat that it even has to be considered. I know life isn't happy clappy as I'd like it to be. It is the human way. It doesn't stop it being a bit glum to accept.

4. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Those at that level seem the least likely to sign prenups and are more likely or at least have more opportunities to be unfaithful.

If you've watched house of cards I imagine that's pretty close to the truth with how power couples deal with it.

5. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

The "obey" gets left out a lot these days. The rest doesn't seem that controversial to me, but then I've made it to 13 years of marriage without getting divorced or constantly panicking about mah moneyz.

6. dowie

Caporegime

I agree with the sentiment but it is still prudent tbh.. I was thinking more like the cited example earlier of the heiress protecting her family fortune - I mean that is the sort of thing that someone would perhaps look to protect. Bankers are a bit different as they'll often earn their wealth during the relationship. Farming land is often passed down and while I think you're right in that outright selling the farm is rare there is still potentially the need to pay out several million and some large maintenance payments in some cases. My main point was just that it is all well and good not agreeing with prenups if you're not in a position to really need one in the first place, it must be rather different for some of the people out there who are in a position where they'd quite sensibly want some legal protection.

7. Freefaller

Man of Honour

I didn't mean to sound as though I was disagreeing with you as what you say is probably fairly accurate. Just giving my take on it. :)

8. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

It doesn't matter how much trust you have. Obviously no one expects their marriage to ever end, but it can and does happen often, and you can bet your ass the claws immediately come out for the money once it does. Might as well protect yourself just in case.

9. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

It's rare to see sta
    It's rare to see statistics happening before your very eyes but here we are :/

10. Efour

Capodecina

Just don't get married. It's the 21 century now. Is Britain still so outdated:p

11. UTmaniac

Mobster

Contact Ryan Giggs for advice.;)

12. MooMoo444

Caporegime

Being together so long and having kids, they'll just tear up any pre-nup. It'll be irrelevant. Her and the kids welfare will be priority in a split.

13. =XDC=FluphyBunny

Mobster

Troll thread ?

OP suspended?

14. DampCat

Capodecina

In this situation maybe, but not as a rule, so his point stands.

15. zoomee

Soldato

Edited: better wait for court first lol ;)

+1

Only winners in a divorce are lawyers.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  16. Destination

Capodecina

Hope things work out the best for all, and that the kids find stability and a good path forwards.

17. Freddie1980

Soldato

How is sticking his assets in a company going to protect him? Unless the company is owned by a 3rd party he can trust she will be entitled to his share of the company and all of its assets.

18. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

an estate trust type situation like that guy who inherited £11 billion last year. i imagine that is protected from divorce.

19. zoomee

Soldato

20. Nitefly

Man of Honour

Bumpatron!

Saw this on my lunch time walk today, which amused me :p

[​IMG]