Getting prosecuted from Dashcam?

Associate
They use this approach on certain country roads in the U.K. just without the red tarmac. As the image says, these are not cycle lanes they are to make the road look narrow so people drive more slowly on them.

Doesn't seem to have the desired effect here...

Screen-Shot-2023-07-28-at-2.28.05-pm.jpg

Edit: Realise that's the just red tarmac rather than absence of centre line.

Last edited:
Soldato
Plenty of cyclists put themselves within 1.5m of a car.

I'd rather someone overtook me on a bike at 15mph at 50cm than 60mph at 1.5m. The distance isn't the only issue.

Absolutely, close passing feels less threatening at lower speeds for sure. Another thing that some drivers dont appreciate and you mention it above by using the cyclists put themselves within the 1.5m of a car. If a cyclist is riding along and encounters a big pothole, road kill (deer or badger is enough to take you off) ahead or sometimes a drain that is wrongly orientated so the skinny wheels of a road bike could go down the slots or even the drain is busted up which Ive seen, then a close pass at that moment doesnt give you an opportunity to evade it by moving out and forces you to hit it. In the instance where a cyclist filters through traffic, so passes cars closely, they tend to be in control of the situation and going relatively slowly, so any potholes etc ahead can be planned for by stopping. Granted Ive seen some nutters filter at speed

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't seem to have the desired effect here...

Screen-Shot-2023-07-28-at-2.28.05-pm.jpg

Edit: Realise that's the just red tarmac rather than absence of centre line.

They have done that instead of a pavement. So you'd have pedestrians on it on more urban roads.

Last edited:
Soldato
But at the same time, I wonder if the rozzers don't have anything better to do, have all the knife crime/stabbings been solved in the UK? I doubt it, ******* should go after real crime and not minor traffic misdemeanours.
Over 4,000 cyclists were killed or seriously injured on UK roads in 2022, quite a few more than those killed or seriously injured in knife attacks. Roads Policing officers deal with policing the roads, funnily enough.

Man of Honour
I find the cyclists with camera's are more likely to put themselves in situations with cars that can be avoided.

*nothing against cyclists, I cycle more miles than I drive a year.

Daily cyclist and I will 100% agree with this.
I had a headcam for 3 months and immediately started a You Tube channel with my near misses everyday.
3 months later it broke and Curry's hadn't got a replacement and I then realised with the headcam I had become a **** on the roads looking for incidents.
Don't get me wrong, I live by the rule that motorists are far bigger than me so make sure I stay out of the way but it doesn't stop some of them trying it on.
For instance my wife has listened to my near daily incidents in those early years and the odd few now and then but has zero idea how to act around cyclists.

Man of Honour
Maybe it was the youtube channel that affected your behaviour rather than the camera?

When I said immediately it was about two weeks later when I'd acquired about 20 videos.
When the camera broke I realised what a **** I'd been and deleted the channel.
So I was looking for things to record from first putting it on, some of the stuff was things I would never bothered with before camera but they suddenly became big with camera.

Soldato
When I used to cycle with a club it became apparent that something that one rider deems bad enough to shout out or flip a finger at doesn't even register as an issue for another. Thankfully it was generally a pretty chilled bunch but there was the odd one who would use every opportunity to "take primary" and expect every road user to respect their 3m invisible sphere around their bike (while riding an inch off the bike in front, obviously).

I'm pretty chilled out on the bike but I have taken offence on three occasions. First was when I was physically put into the curb by a car. Second was some guy leaning out of the passenger window clapping yelling to "use the ******* cycle path"... There wasn't a cycle path, turned out he was referring to the metre wide pavement. Final time was when some no mark kid thought it would be funny to launch a McDonald's sauce pot at me as they drove past. That's over twenty something years so I'm not doing too bad. I'd loved to have had a cam on that last one as it was the only time I didn't manage to catch them up and have a chat.

The camerati and ding dongs like "Cycling Mikey" give the rest of us a bad name. I once got called out by another cyclist when I pulled up into a passing place and waved a following motorist past on narrow country road. "You don't need to do that you know. They have no right to pass you." Sure, but I'm having a leisurely ride, I'm not in the Giro d'Itallia so it has zero impact on me and they don't get held up for miles.

If only we could all get along but alas we are a tribal species. If we're not arguing about which team chases a bag of wind around the best or fighting over who has the best imaginary friend we're divided over how we get about. Pathetic really.

Soldato
Plenty of cyclists put themselves within 1.5m of a car.

I'd rather someone overtook me on a bike at 15mph at 50cm than 60mph at 1.5m. The distance isn't the only issue.

I get this a lot. Cyclists squeezing themselves between the curb and car isn’t on really.

The relative speeds and many road layout’s are far from ideal for vehicles and cyclists sharing the road.

Soldato
I get this a lot. Cyclists squeezing themselves between the curb and car isn’t on really.

The relative speeds and many road layout’s are far from ideal for vehicles and cyclists sharing the road.

They don't give pedestrians much room either. They expect you to move out of their way.

Back
Top Bottom