Getting started in VR

Soldato
Hi all

At the weekend I went round my parents house and my dad let me have a go on his new PSVR... I done abit of racing and I was actually amazed by it as I've never had a good go at VR, Now I really want a VR headset for my PC so I can do project cars and maybe some rallying... What's a decent headset to get for a noob like me... I don't have a lot of money so not looking for the latest spec ones.... I had the DK2 before but used it a couple of times before selling and I'm not sure if that supports the latest titles

Cheers

Associate
The Rift S will probably fit the bill. It's pretty good for sim racing type stuff like project cars. Plus it'll turn it's hand to other stuff too. Like beat saber etc.

I've got the Valve Index but not sure a 1000 pound headset is what you're after :)

Soldato
OP
The Rift S will probably fit the bill. It's pretty good for sim racing type stuff like project cars. Plus it'll turn it's hand to other stuff too. Like beat saber etc.

I've got the Valve Index but not sure a 1000 pound headset is what you're after :)

I have read a lot about the Rift S and its highly recommended... A few people have mentioned the CV1, Is that any good as I've seen a couple of them for around £180-£200

Associate
I actually would say the CV1 or original Vive are still excellent headsets. Heck I was using mine up until my index swap and was happy with it.

If you can get one for silly cheap money (make sure it has everything included) then do it.

Soldato
I actually would say the CV1 or original Vive are still excellent headsets. Heck I was using mine up until my index swap and was happy with it.

If you can get one for silly cheap money (make sure it has everything included) then do it.

Yeah, they are so cheap second hand. I recently sold my 4 sensor Rift Setup with VR cover and an Inateck USB card for peanuts!! Sold it for £600-£700 less than what I spent.

But, saying that, knowing what I know now, If I could get the extra money together, I would buy the Rift S for £399 new over a second hand OG Rift for £200.

Soldato
OP
So my budget would be from £200-£250 as I'm abit tight on money...

My specs are below

Ryzen 1600
Aorus B450 MATX
16gb Corsair vengence 3000mhz
550w Coolermaster Master watt

Currently I have a GTX750Ti but will be upgrading before trying VR... May look at second hand 1060 or RX570...

Cheers

Soldato
Leaves you a little bit limited, but there are good options. The used market for Vives and CV1 Rifts will sit you somewhere around that bracket and both are decent if they've been kept in good order. There's Windows Mixed Reality sets that you'll find a ton of new for around £200/50, or used for much less, which are recommendable if your preference is a seated game as there major flaw is the tracking system which doesn't apply in such circumstances.

It's difficult to recommend as we all have different expectations. I just I know you'll get a better experience with a good working CV1 or Vive over a WMR device, in visuals, ease of comfort, and with a more pleasing sturdy build quality. The caveat is the 2nd hand, you'll need to know you're buying something in good working order and complete.

That said if you just want to plonk something on your head and let rip on a rally/racer, then do it with a cheap as you can find Lenovo explorer or HP set.

Soldato
Technically you don't need any controllers, there are plenty of gamepad supported games and obviously they ain't for racers like you say. Generally though they will come as a package with WMR devices as they all came supplied with the sets. That said they're not the best and of low build quality another plus of you wanting it for other activity. You might find old CV1's flying around that don't come supplied with touch controls at a cheaper cost, but you'll need to dig to find one. If it's a Vive you need the hmd, the base stations, the connecters and cables. Be extremely weary if buying a Vive as unless it's had little to no use you'll get heavily flogged controllers, and it must come complete with the base stations.

As for the graphics, it's not really about the HMD with the gen1 baring the samsung+ and Vive pro that have slight increase in resolution. It's more about the grunt you can put behind it with you hardware in terms of in game settings and pushing up the sampling rate to increase clarity of the image. From the limited time I had with the HP set, there seemed to be a lower field of view and it had a different kind of screen door effect to the Vive.

Soldato
So my budget would be from £200-£250 as I'm abit tight on money...

My specs are below

Ryzen 1600
Aorus B450 MATX
16gb Corsair vengence 3000mhz
550w Coolermaster Master watt

Currently I have a GTX750Ti but will be upgrading before trying VR... May look at second hand 1060 or RX570...

Cheers

Second hand Rift Or Samsung Odyssey +

I wouldn't buy a Rift without the controllers, even if you are only planning to sit down. There are deals to be had out there.

You would need a better GPU, get a 1060 over a 570 for VR.

Soldato
OP
Second hand Rift Or Samsung Odyssey +

I wouldn't buy a Rift without the controllers, even if you are only planning to sit down. There are deals to be had out there.

You would need a better GPU, get a 1060 over a 570 for VR.

OK thanks I will go on the hunt for a 1060 6gb they can be found relatively cheap... I've not seen the Samsung VR set I'll have to have a look at that.. Cheers

Soldato
Looking at around the £100 mark so second hand would be ideal I think

I think you struggle to find a 6GB 1060 for £100 even second hand.

there is a 3GB one for sale in the members market right now for under 100. Might be good enough for you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom