GFWL. Have Microsoft lost the plot?

Associate
So I went to buy HQ revenge for Arkham City this morning. I can't download it off Steam because the missis bought me the DVD version, so I'm stuck with GFWL.

All went ok, until I clicked on 'buy now'. Sorry, please log in from your trusted PC, Mark-PC. Except that's the whole problem, I already AM logged on and using my PC. I'm not on a different one, I'm on the right one.

So I phoned their tech support, where the guy who definitely wasn't UK based said they were conducting a huge overhaul of their security systems, and my only option was to wait a month, and then see again if it works. He said it's all tied into Win 8.

He then openly admitted, no word of a lie, that they released OS's in an up / down manner. :) XP :( Vista :) Win 7 :( Win 8. You get the picture. Even recommended I don't upgrade to 8 and stay with 7.

Associate
So I phoned their tech support, where the guy who definitely wasn't UK based said they were conducting a huge overhaul of their security systems, and my only option was to wait a month, and then see again if it works. He said it's all tied into Win 8.

He then openly admitted, no word of a lie, that they released OS's in an up / down manner. :) XP :( Vista :) Win 7 :( Win 8. You get the picture. Even recommended I don't upgrade to 8 and stay with 7.

He might not be from the UK but he clearly knows his stuff, I can deal with foreigners on the phone if they're well trained and knowledgable.

Man of Honour

Lol, why wouldn't they admit that, it's well publicized. I can only assume, you totally misunderstood and thought it meant a 1 good, one bad.
When in fact it's like intels tick tock releases.

Just like the tick-tock cycle with the release of Intel CPUs, one version of Windows undergoes a considerable rework and numerous innovations in the area of security (tick), while the next version (tock) appears as the refined previous one, featuring improved user interface and a minimum of new tools.
W2k - tick introduced many new features life ntfs
Xp - tock refined what was introduced into 2k
Vista tick - new kernal
W7 - tock (vista improved)
W8 - back to tick and majour changes
W9 - will be tick and an evolution of win8

And go ask the question here
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

You'll get a better response. Probably just got an idiot of an employee.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This.

Ditch it and grab the game you want in a Steam sale.

I was thinking of doing that. I read that GFWL encrypts the save files though. Jeez, it just seems like they are out to completely alienate everyone. There's might be a way round it with a bit of googling.

I've never bought anything off there before (GFWL Marketplace). I can see why everyone hates them. Steam is so much better.

Associate
OP
At the rate they are going, MS could be a footnote in history before too long.

They should stick to what they do best and accept that their stranglehold on the whole of the world was going to end sometime or other. Trying to knock a dent in the grasp on the market Android and Apple have was very brave, one could almost say, foolish.

Last edited:
Soldato
I read somewhere last week that they were considering bringing back the start menu to Win 8
They need too....

For the people that don't want waste all day trying to finds the items that would normally be in kept under the start menu,
using windows 8 without a start menu can be a nightmare ...(Or it is for my parents)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
But some games on steam still need GFWL ..:(

Steam do the GOTY version of AC, I've bought that so I can have a bash at the DLC. Some lads might be wondering why I'm so up in arms about it but you spent £1000 on a 3D Vision 2 set up to play AC in its full glory like I did, it kind of winds you up.

In future, if a game needs Games for Windows Live, I'll just boycott the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Steam do the GOTY version of AC, I've bought that so I can have a bash at the DLC. Some lads might be wondering why I'm so up in arms about it but you spent £1000 on a 3D Vision 2 set up to play AC in its full glory like I did, it kind of winds you up.

In future, if a game needs Games for Windows Live, I'll just boycott the game.
I just tried starting batman AC on steam and got this :(

batman.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom