Giant PR 2 Disc Wheelset Upgrade

Associate
I'm in the ~85kg territory so I'm not massively behind you. I've never felt like I was really pushing the limits of things on carbon to be honest. I do always go for the slightly higher spoke counts available though (24).

Yeah at £300/£400 per pair I'll probably pick up a pair and use them in my daily commutes only to see how they hold up, then think about using on rides.

Soldato
I'm in talks with carbonspeedcycle atm and just wondering what depth and width rims I should go for?

My current frame only just takes 25mm tyres so won't be able to go bigger that that for awhile.

I'm thinking 23mm wide 60mm deep SAT clinchers with black logos running 25mm tyres. Does this sound OK?

Also unsure which hub to go for?

Associate
I'm in the ~85kg territory so I'm not massively behind you. I've never felt like I was really pushing the limits of things on carbon to be honest. I do always go for the slightly higher spoke counts available though (24).

To update anyone in the same boat as me. Emailed carbonspeedcycling. They can fit the centerlock version of the ******** hub for $10 extra. Will be getting a pair of these soon.

Man of Honour
Ah, awesome. I wish I'd asked way back when now.

How much have they quoted you? I went 50mm deep personally (23mm width). Novatech hubs seem to be a decent choice based on my experience.

Associate
Ordered a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221497133074

and these pads:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swissstop-Flash-Pro-Yellow-King-Carbon-Rim-Road-Brake-Pads-Shimano/310741671247?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Will update when they arrive.

Any suggestions for inner tubes? Will be sticking on some 25mm conti GP4000S2's.

Great for the update as I'll be purchasing later.

I've been using standard Schwalbe Road ones. £4 from Wiggle atm for 40mm, £4 for 60mm valve as well. No punctures from anything minor.

Soldato
Guys quick bit of advice...

Should I pay the extra £100 to upgrade from the novatec light hubs to dt swiss dt350s hubs?

Just after reading some reviews it seems novatec bearings can be alittle rubbish at times so wondering if long term it's worth while to go with a bigger brand.

Associate

Should I pay the extra £100 to upgrade from the novatec light hubs to dt swiss dt350s hubs?

Just after reading some reviews it seems novatec bearings can be alittle rubbish at times so wondering if long term it's worth while to go with a bigger brand.

Is this carbonspeedcycle? I actually wanted to ask them if they could upgrade to dt350s but I had a look at their listing and none had the option so I didnt email in the end. If so, I will be asking them to upgrade to dt350s.

Soldato
I use lifeline cheapys from wiggle about £7 for 5off although I've had a couple that cause tyre bulges so went in the bin.

same - the lifeline ones seem fine to me - nothing to compare them to but they seem to work fine on my carbon wheels.

Man of Honour

I've heard that too about Novatech bearings but to be honest I've had nothing but good experiences with them - same for friends with Novatechs. So that's across about 5 or 6 sets of wheels.

Soldato
Thanks I thought as it's quite a expensive purchase for the bike I would pay the extra for the dt350s hubs. Their SAT 50mm clinchers have a 10 day lead time as they have non currently made.

Soldato
OP
Going to fire an email off to carbonspeedcycle as well and ask about those uprated hubs.

Considering the 25mm wide 50mm deep carbon disc hub wheels but keep thinking it'll look overkill on a giant Defy Advanced, maybe 38mm deep would be better.

Are you guys getting logos?

Associate
Going to fire an email off to carbonspeedcycle as well and ask about those uprated hubs.

Considering the 25mm wide 50mm deep carbon disc hub wheels but keep thinking it'll look overkill on a giant Defy Advanced, maybe 38mm deep would be better.

Are you guys getting logos?

50mm LOOKS (aesthetics) overkill? Nah. Is it overkill in terms of performance you gain? Meh who cares. I'd say go with 50mm if you don't fear crosswinds. I'm heavy so I'm going 50mm and no decals. I like the look of a clean 3k wheel.

Back
Top Bottom