Gigabit networks becoming a bottleneck

Soldato
Presumably you'll still suffer from the same issues that result in the transfer of many small files taking far longer than the transfer of a few large files?

I only ever find Gigabit to be a limitation when I'm moving larges files around. For those times I let it happen in the background.

Soldato
Presumably you'll still suffer from the same issues that result in the transfer of many small files taking far longer than the transfer of a few large files?

I only ever find Gigabit to be a limitation when I'm moving larges files around. For those times I let it happen in the background.

I'd assume so yes, I would love to get at least gigabit speeds around the internal network, but having 10GbE (or faster!) would be nice.

Don
Depending on use case surely "bonding" 2 or 4 gigabit ports via LACP etc is viable?

Whilst it doesn't help if you are only transferring from 1 client, if you have 2 or more then it will provide an increase in effective bandwidth.

Some of the mid range synology etc have 2 or 4 ports so can do this.

Caporegime
I think 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T will appear on the Netgear and TP-Link switches of the world at some point, which is really the most likely option to be cost-effective if bonding isn't viable. Expect to see it on the Qnap and Synology boxes of the world and probably some riced up 'gaming' routers.

Back
Top Bottom