Gigabyte AM4 battery issue

Soldato
Hi,

Anyone else had this issue?

I've just had a RMA replacement gaming 3 due to previous Gigabyte board board bricking itself so its been a frustrating couple of weeks with no PC and now this issue starts. System was working fine for two days and then this morning no power what so ever, no fan movement nothing. Eventually I removed the battery for a few minutes after reseating everything to no avail and the system booted

What does this mean. Does the board need a decent battery to boot IE the battery plays a role in the system booting and replacing the battery will resolve it or is it a BIOS problem and removing the battery is resetting the BIOS and resolving that problem?

Googling shows a few others with the exact same issue as what I experienced on the same board but no one seems to know the cause.

Thanks

@GIGA-Man FYI

@Plec I think you mentioned something similar when troubleshoot my previous boards issue

Soldato
@Plec I think you mentioned something similar when troubleshoot my previous boards issue

Hey Relentless (your name is becoming sadly ironic with this build)

Sorry to read you're still experiencing issues.

Yes, the problems i read about were stability issues that proved to be the result of boards shipped with flat/dying batteries. However, their issues were resolved with a new battery installed and BIOS settings reapplied etc..

I've just had a RMA replacement gaming 3 due to previous Gigabyte board board bricking itself so its been a frustrating couple of weeks with no PC and now this issue starts. System was working fine for two days and then this morning no power what so ever, no fan movement nothing. Eventually I removed the battery for a few minutes after reseating everything to no avail and the system booted

What does this mean. Does the board need a decent battery to boot IE the battery plays a role in the system booting and replacing the battery will resolve it or is it a BIOS problem and removing the battery is resetting the BIOS and resolving that problem?

Have you tried changing the battery for a new battery?

If you haven't then, as you know, you've essentially cleared the CMOS and the system has accepted the default settings and booted.

Are you using the same Samsung memory and is clocked to 3200MHz?

If you are - this may be the cause of your stability issues - as cold boot issues can be a common sign that the memory isn't 100% stable. It could be that your stability issues are manifesting in a slightly unusual way. So when you took out the battery it reset the memory to defaults and booted.

Have you considered running the memory at a lower frequency for a week to see what happens?

I've referenced part of your original post in case you spot any other similarities?:

So my 1600X build has been working flawlessly since release day, no OC of any kind just an XMP Profile running 3200 C16

This morning I go to boot it and it goes into a boot loop with no image, I start to troubleshoot it and remove memory at which point it doesn't loop it sits running with no image

I put one RAM stick in the first DDR slot and it boot loops again, I put the other RAM stick in the same slot and low and behold it boots, faulty RAM stick right? Nope.

I then try and get into the BIOS to remove XMP profile and I cant get into the BIOS, it simply doesn't let me in at all, just boots to windows.

I then reset CMOS, same issue so I remove the battery and then the BIOS responds and I can get in, the BIOS is behaving very strangely, I can move the mouse but as soon as I touch the keyboard it goes nuts, the image flashes rapidly or the keystroke sticks and the BIOS locks with that keystroke, very strange. No such issue in Windows so keyboard is fine.

I flash the BIOS but it doesn't resolve anything, same BIOS strangeness and same RAM issue.

I then decide to try different RAM slot, I try both sticks in the slot closest to the CPU and BOTH sticks will allow the PC to boot fine so now I'm completely at a loss.

Soldato
OP
Thanks plec. I'm going to buy another battery today just in case but I really can't see it being the memory. This is two different boards, a gaming and a gaming 3. Same ram but completely different symptoms.

the old issue was that the pc would power on but wouldn't post, battery removal didn't resolve this issue it was confirmed a faulty board by ocuk and replaced with current board

current board was working fine and this morning completely dead, no power what so ever, battery removal resolved it for now

Soldato
current board was working fine and this morning completely dead, no power what so ever, battery removal resolved it for now
From description it appears that the CMOS reset solved the issue (possibly temporarily) - maybe indicating the problem lies within a BIOS setting.

As mentioned, my first test would be the memory at a lower frequency - as it's known to run fine for a few boots and then suddenly bork if it's unstable at 3200MHz.

Admittedly it's not the norm for Samsung sticks - but memory can be a PITA and usually tries to find a way to be so.

Which BIOS are you running - F6 or F7 BETA?

Soldato
OP
From description it appears that the CMOS reset solved the issue (possibly temporarily) - maybe indicating the problem lies within a BIOS setting.

As mentioned, my first test would be the memory at a lower frequency - as it's known to run fine for a few boots and then suddenly bork if it's unstable at 3200MHz.

Admittedly it's not the norm for Samsung sticks - but memory can be a PITA and usually tries to find a way to be so.

Which BIOS are you running - F6 or F7 BETA?

yeah I get what your saying, it's just the last mobo was confirmed faulty with whatever ram ocuk used to test and this issue is that it was completey dead as in not getting any power at all and not even attempting to post which is what throwing me

ill remove the xmp profile and see how it goes, fit a new battery also.

I'm using F7 beta because it was hosted on main site, usually don't touch beta unless its hosted on main site

Soldato
ill remove the xmp profile and see how it goes, fit a new battery also.
Hope you get some positive results.

Although, i suspect you'll have mixed feelings about this if your Samsung sticks prove unstable at 3200MHz (However, they would probably only be an AGESA update or two away if that was the issue)

I'm using F7 beta because it was hosted on main site, usually don't touch beta unless its hosted on main site
Agreed, it seems to be getting positive results on the whole - even in BETA.

Soldato
OP
That's the other thing I forgot to mention before. F7 BIOS has latest AGESA update so I would have though that would allow stability at this point for 3200 @ C16

These issues are so frustrating, cant concentrate in work for thinking about what it could be!

I'm going to go with battery for now and replace it, if it happens again after that I'll remove the XMP profile. That way I'll know which is which rather than doing both at once. If it happens again after that I'm getting a PS4!

Soldato
That's the other thing I forgot to mention before. F7 BIOS has latest AGESA update so I would have though that would allow stability at this point for 3200 @ C16
They, should be getting a lot of feedback - hopefully the official release will see better overall compatibility.

8 Pack mentioned increased memory dividers will be coming soon so - in theory - this should help again.

I'm going to go with battery for now and replace it, if it happens again after that I'll remove the XMP profile. That way I'll know which is which rather than doing both at once.
Makes sense.

If it happens again after that I'm getting a PS4!
Let's not say things we'll regret :D

Issue mentioned a few times here and a further few people report it in the following pages, exact same issue -

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625849/official-gigabyte-a320-b350-x370-owners-club/70

Had a quick glance - the only problem is that a lot of the users didn't list their memory profile along with the problem. It would have been useful to see how many had maxed/high memory frequencies. As it's odd that each time a CMOS reset resolved the issue.

Hopefully, AGESA updates and increased dividers (assuming stability has to be addressed along with the increase) will resolve these issues regardless of cause...

Soldato
OP
yeah, tell you what is weird though. One of them mentions that they think it happens after using hwinfo. I just happened to use hwinfo last night .

probably complete coincidence as I can't fathom how that would effect anything but strange though

Soldato
yeah, tell you what is weird though. One of them mentions that they think it happens after using hwinfo. I just happened to use hwinfo last night .
I've read similar reports too - i've removed nearly all monitoring software once testing is out the way (for example the MSI overlay can cause issues too).

The issue with the hwinfo is something to do with an additional setting you can use/setup on initial install (i forget what it is - but there is a rogue setting for some users).

Because of the frequent hits regarding problems, i've noticed, with monitoring software i've built the system, tested for stability/heat/ etc and then bailed from the software - usually removing the app completely. With the intention of reintroducing them once i'm positive they're Ryzen compatible.

They're a means to an end to ascertain the system is stable - once i have i dump them (not my usual practice - but with an early adoption i feel it's not worth the risk until they've been fully updated.)

Associate
How long did your RMA take if you don't mind me asking. My Gaming 3 has also decided that it no longer wants to work and I had to send it of for RMA on Tuesday :rolleyes:

..I was on the verge of completing doom too ha

Soldato
OP
@Relentless81

How's the motherboard behaving?

Have you had any luck resolving the problems you were having?

Hi @Plec

Its been fine since I stopped using HWinfo64, I didnt change the battery or RAM config in the end so everything points to HWinfo, weird

Got a new issue now where I get random performance drop in some games, butter smooth then suddenly performance tanks for a minute or so and then back to smooth again, confirmed its not temps and still trouble shooting it

How long did your RMA take if you don't mind me asking. My Gaming 3 has also decided that it no longer wants to work and I had to send it of for RMA on Tuesday :rolleyes:

..I was on the verge of completing doom too ha

OCUK shipped me a replacement so just had to wait a week for them to confirm it was faulty

All the reading I've done I kind of expect this one to brick at some point too

Soldato
Hi @Plec

Its been fine since I stopped using HWinfo64, I didnt change the battery or RAM config in the end so everything points to HWinfo, weird

Good to read - hopefully it will just be the odd little anomaly, typical of early adoption, that will only present itself now. And these appear to be improving all the time with BIOS updates and software optimisation.

Got a new issue now where I get random performance drop in some games, butter smooth then suddenly performance tanks for a minute or so and then back to smooth again, confirmed its not temps and still trouble shooting it

Does the performance drop coincide with FPS drop too (or maxed out GPU or CPU[:/]) - or are you saying it 'tanks' regardless of displayed performance?

Also, is it specific to only certain games or across the board?

If it's a specific game/s i could check in with a couple of similar based builds and ask them if they've noticed similar issues.

Soldato
OP
Does the performance drop coincide with FPS drop too (or maxed out GPU or CPU[:/]) - or are you saying it 'tanks' regardless of displayed performance?

Also, is it specific to only certain games or across the board?

If it's a specific game/s i could check in with a couple of similar based builds and ask them if they've noticed similar issues.

Its really weird, it only seems to do it once after anywhere between half an hour to an hour of gaming, in GTA5 I can see the Steam FPS counter drop when it happens from a steady 80/90FPS to a 40ish FPS and the same feeling as with BF1 where everything slows down almost as if it goes into slow motion

In BF1 the FPS doesn't seem to drop but the slow feeling of slow motion is the same, after about 30secs the games come back to life and carry on as if nothing happened.

Home Front Revolution and Deserts of Kharak don't do it, they play absolutely fine.

I don't use in game monitoring tools so cant see my usage but it doesn't make sense that would be the cause due to the way it happens, its totally sporadic as in it doesn't matter whats going on in the game, I could be staring at the floor and it would happen or there could be a million things on and it doesn't happen

Appreciate the offer to check, so far I've disabled al the Xbox DVR stuff but it happened again in GTA5 last night, 1 hour 30 mins playing it and it did the slow down thing about half way through the session

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom