• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte Aorus Extreme noisy?

Associate
Hi, anyone had any issues with their card making a funny whiring noise when the card is under load? I bought mine last week and up until the weekend it was fine. In normal windows it is silent but as soon as I load up a game it starts making a noise like it's vibrating or something is catching against the fan??

Associate
OP
Well, I'm 47 with dodgy hearing due to years of listening to Thrash metal but this is rather loud and annoying for a card I just paid £800 for. It's pretty unbearable.

I put my old Galax 970 GTX back in for the moment.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
When idle use afterburner to manually ramp the fans up. If the noise is what’s annoying you it’s just fan noise and basically tough - they’re all about the same.

If the fan noise that results is fine and not what you’ve heard that’s annoying it’s likely coil whine. The card you have appears to be one of the worse offenders. If it’s new perhaps DSR It for a different model. If not then various techniques can dampen the sound or you could get a better PSU which might quieten it down

Soldato
Any chance you could record the noise?

My Gigabyte Aorus made a very loud sound which sounded like the fan was hitting something, took me a couple of hours to find out it was from the GPU, then saw one of the fans was hitting the support for the shroud. Bent the support away and now it's silent.

Soldato
Well, I'm 47 with dodgy hearing due to years of listening to Thrash metal but this is rather loud and annoying for a card I just paid £800 for. It's pretty unbearable.

I put my old Galax 970 GTX back in for the moment.

when you have the noise
a) what's the fan speed?
b) what's the fps count?

Coil whine is a high pitch electrical noise, and cheap PSU are usually the culprit, and without going into details, when a power hungry card stresses the power delivery.

Associate
OP

Not a great video but you can hear the noise above the fans. I tried v-sync which seemed to work initially on some games but then came back, I have them set at full 3840x2160. Fan speed is auto and controlled by the software

Associate
OP
But you can clearly see the fans turning without the noise, it's only when it's under load that the noise starts. I turned the fans up to full power and it doesn't do it. Also, the pitch changes depending on which game I'm playing. Dropping the resolution in some games lessens the noise as the card isn't working as hard. Anyhow, I bought myself a Super Flower Leadex Platinum 650W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply to replace the Coolermaster 650GX PSU I had in there. If that doesn't work I will be sending it back for a replacement.

Soldato
It might be when the fans suddenly become "uneven" and slightly tilts to the shroud. So it wasn't as bad as mine where I could clearly see the fan slowing down from it.

Might be worth trying to push the shroud away from the fans and see if that works.

Back
Top Bottom