Gigabyte i-RAM (OcUK has it in stock)

Associate
Twisted iRAM

I've finished the small mod to my iRAM/ case, to twist the iRAM through 90 degrees and allow better viewing of status LEDS and better fit with my case layout (I can get the side panel back on!). If anyone is interested in more details, I can do a brief overview.

06.InstalledIRAM.jpg

Work commitments will prevent me posting benchies for a couple of weeks, but so far all results are comparable to on-line reviews. Having seen recent postings on the Seagate 7200.10, I think for general adoption the iRAM will have to come down in price.

Cheers.

Associate
Hi AceDent,

I've treated myself to an i-ram with 4GB of Corssair Select Value 3200. I've had loads of trouble getting XP installed - have you had trouble with it?

When installing XP, I can't format the drive in NTFS - it fails to complete the format. I tried formatting in FAT which worked, but then failed to convert to NTFS :mad:

So I settled on FAT and proceeded to install XP. It finished-up nicely but when I did the final re-boot, Windows reported that it couldn't boot because of missing hardware :mad: :mad: :mad:

Grrrr.. this might end up being a very expensive page-file / vid editing swap drive!

- Toff.

Associate
Toff

An option would be to install windows on a spare HDD and then ghost the partition to the i-ram. Turn off, remove the spare HDD and move the i-ram to the top of the boot disk list.

Associate
Bomag said:
Toff

An option would be to install windows on a spare HDD and then ghost the partition to the i-ram. Turn off, remove the spare HDD and move the i-ram to the top of the boot disk list.

Good thinking Batman! I'll definately try that, cheers :)

Soldato
Why doesn't someone just make a domestic drive cache...

PCI-E or SATAII <-> Drive cache (battery backed up) with 4-32GB DDR <-> SATA II hard drive.

The final drive could be an 7200rpm/10Krpm or even one of the new solid state drives that samsung etc are bringing out :D

Price of large sticks of DDR. DDR was developed and mass produced in the era of high end PCs having 2-4x512MB sticks, or possibly 2x1GB. To get into the next Vista era 4-8GB then we're looking at hideous cost of being at the front of the curve with DDR or even DDR2.
2GB sticks of DDR are both rare and expensive and as DDR2 is coming out, we're not looking at the cost of those DDR sticks to drop in any quantity.

The vendors should offer the boards in 0GB, 4GB, 8GB,...,32GB in fully populated and halft populated variants). The vendor can then negotatiate a better deal for the sticks..

Associate
Installing WinXP

@Toff
I installed XP SP1 as part of a 3am blur (iRAM was already formatted). I encountered no problems, but was dissapointed in the perceived speed increase. I will probably have another play at this soon. It shouldn't cause any problems though... if you're pushing your FSB hard, is your PCI locked? I guess this might affect the southbridge, leading to instabilities?

I measured no speed difference between FAT32 / NTFS. Why not use FAT, as it has lower overheads for small drives?

Cheers,
Andrew

Soldato
What is he doing productive with it - that's the question.

I wouldn't fork out for a component just to make windows quicker and then find it has issues attempting to install because the windows installation components pushed the windows partition over 4GB!

Fast but pointless video.

Show me an install of a game and/or photoshop etc on the same silicon disk then I would be interested.

Soldato
I think that 4GB is "JUST ABOUT ENOUGH" as long as absolutely everything is then installed to some other drive.

I use C: for Windows only, and only some system apps are put to C: and everythign else goes to D:, I have just had a look at how much diskspace is used up on C: and I am using up 3.4GB.

Given that I have a fair load of system apps like Nero, O&O, PAgeDeFrag, Antivirus & Anti SPyware apps and so on all on C:, including a small pagefile ( 256MB ), had I installed what I could to D: instead of C:, I would have saved myself even more.

I cant wait to do my own tests... With Linux booting up a lot slower than Windows does, I will be trying out Linux before Windows, with root on this, and /home on a real HD... I recon that will be useful.

Permabanned
My windows install is only 1.4Gb's so 4Gb is more than enough for windows and a 1-1.5Gb Pagefile!

I see it's £117.44 now which is much more like it :D

These iRAM's are absolutley perfect for a media-PC, no noise and less heat :) Just use an i-Ram and have your media on a server that you can stream from. Noise and speed of boot-up are very important for media-pc's if you ask me and this i-RAM is great with regards to these!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom