Girlfriend held for suspected robbery

Soldato
As has been previously mentioned in this thread, if money wasn't involved, then nothing good would come of the situation to prevent similar happening again to another innocent party.

The bosses at New Look have more of an incentive to sort something out about these things if they're losing money from it.

I'm guessing Riddler's gf would prefer free clothes / money than councilling mate, and why shouldn't she want recompensated for what she had to go through unnecessarily?

Don't you think this situation warrants pressing charges, and if not, what would have to happen for that to be warranted?

Soldato
Yeah I'd have to agree now. Compensate her hundreds of £££s, fire the security guard who was trying to do a job, fire the police officer and put it in the paper. That wont make people in police/security jobs turn a blind eye to crime in the future if they think they could be wrong and are afraid of being sued.

Fact is, I doubt the story is completely accurate unless the guys GF was a complete wet blanket. If anything maybe the whole thing will make her more able to stand up for herself in the future. If she had stood up for herself none of that would have happened.

Sorry but the whole culture of "I slipped on a grape so I need a month off work and £1000s of compensation" just winds me up. People need to learn to stand up for themselves, have some common sense and not think money cures everything!

I agree the staff should get more training and a reprimand so fair enough complain - but sueing and wanting to get people fired cures nothing.

Soldato
As for 'plastic plod', you obviously read tabloid newspapers. PCSOs are a valuable resource, the intelligence they gather and reassurance they provided is second to none. Modern policing isnt just about arresting people.
Surely not as valuable as more police though? If a police officer was made instead of every PCSO...... I can't see that being bad. Hence, plastic.

Soldato
Yeah I'd have to agree now. Compensate her hundreds of £££s, fire the security guard who was trying to do a job, fire the police officer and put it in the paper. That wont make people in police/security jobs turn a blind eye to crime in the future if they think they could be wrong and are afraid of being sued.

No need to be silly, none of us are thinking like that.

Fact is, I doubt the story is completely accurate unless the guys GF was a complete wet blanket. If anything maybe the whole thing will make her more able to stand up for herself in the future. If she had stood up for herself none of that would have happened.

You can't really say that, the OPs GF sounds like a lot of Britons and are too polite/shy to speak up in a situation like this. I dont blame her for being frightened and upset by how she was treated.

Sorry but the whole culture of "I slipped on a grape so I need a month off work and £1000s of compensation" just winds me up. People need to learn to stand up for themselves, have some common sense and not think money cures everything!

It annoys me that you think that being compensated in the OPs situation is the same as your example above. People are at fault here, and from what it sounds like the security guard held her against her will, a grape on the floor sounds likely an accident.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
if it has had an impact on her lkife in a bad way then they should apologise fully - until she feels better about it

if that includes a big payout then so be it

just dont take the compo money to spend at newlook [now they CAN'T be a competitor]

Soldato

We obviously have a difference of opinion so there's no point in me going on anymore. I've put my point across and I'm sure they'll be people that agree and people that dont so I'll leave it at that lol.

Has made my afternoon go quicker either way and now theres only an hour of work left so its all good.

Caporegime
It varies from force to force, but the vast majority of PCSOs do have the power to use reasonable force, same as a PC/Special as per the Police Reform Act 2002

As for 'plastic plod', you obviously read tabloid newspapers. PCSOs are a valuable resource, the intelligence they gather and reassurance they provided is second to none. Modern policing isnt just about arresting people.

The "reassurance" they provide becomes 100% useless once two things happen, firstly people aren't reassured when they find out those essentially fake police officers can't do a damn thing to help them in 99% of situations you want a real cop around. Secondly, criminals know they have next to no real power so don't intimidate criminals in the slighest.

Lol, modern policing IS just about arresting people, but GOOD modern policing is about arresting the RIGHT people. This isn't modern policing, this is raising policing numbers artifically by hiring two lesser trained vastly lesser powered for the price of one more expensive trained higher waged real police officer. This is the "election" plan of policing. Make it look like we have more police and hope having more visibility lowers crime. It doesn't, it wouldn't even if they were all real cops.

New York is pretty much the ultimate model for great police work. Decades decending into terrible crime. Massive police force being mismanaged. Massive visibility, there were cops everywhere it made no difference at all. This changed when a mayor came in who wanted change, not campaign stats. He brought in the right man to manage the police and that man brought all the right idea's to the police force. Crime dropped ridiculously with the same staff(roughly) just better idea's and plans.

Hiring baby cops because they are cheap is ludicrous, not only are they less effective than the lower number of fully fledged police officers that could have been hired instead, they are now a whole bunch of people the government won't be able to fire despite the plan not working. So when finally someone decides that real money and the right person can fix the police department that person will be stuck with thousands of useless idiots taking a wage for doing basically nothing at all.

Real police work is simple, investigations, going after the bigger people, making area's harder to commit crime in, police officers on foot and on patrol in the right places at the right times. Not wasting police time arresting dozens of people infront of camera's on a friday night for being a bit drunk.

Oh well, police rant over.

Citizens arrest is basically useless these days, it has no real power and I'm sure their are legal precedents where citizens arrests have been ruled unlawful in court. Which means despite the law as writen on paper, if there is prescendent in the court for several arrests to be deemed unlawful that is what matters now, people forget its not a case of whats on paper. Paper law is essentially a guide and can be overturned in the court.

Keeping anyone for so long in a store unlawfully is simply wrong and something should be done in this case. However don't put money in those scum sucking lawyers pockets. Go and speak to a REAL lawyer. Ask them, if its a highly winnable case then you'll probably end up with MORE compensation than when you go with this no win no fee twits. People don't get, its no win, no fee, but if you win, they will take 50-80% of the money you get so you end up with vastly less money than you would paying a non chavy lawyer upfront.

Soldato
Keeping anyone for so long in a store unlawfully is simply wrong and something should be done in this case. However don't put money in those scum sucking lawyers pockets. Go and speak to a REAL lawyer. Ask them, if its a highly winnable case then you'll probably end up with MORE compensation than when you go with this no win no fee twits. People don't get, its no win, no fee, but if you win, they will take 50-80% of the money you get so you end up with vastly less money than you would paying a non chavy lawyer upfront.

Dont suppose you're american by any chance as the whole suing culture seems to have really taken off in the UK? Its not as if she was black and was beaten by police in front of a camera FFS or locked up in a cell overnight or mistreated by anyone. She was held for a while, not even properly arrested and then let go! I cant see why she should get anything at all.

Thats all I've got to say now in this thread as its winding me up reading some peoples replies as it shows how weak and upset a lot of people get over nothing. Will leave you to sue for the "Crimes against humanity". Mind that grape on the way out of work. Dont want you to hurt yourself by slipping over!

P.S - I do agree with you on the police matter however! :D

Caporegime
Basically I'm saying they will reward money as compensation if it went to court, because thats how this society judges assigning blame. No she wasn't beaten, it wasn't racist but what did she have taken from her. freedom, its the simplest, and most important thing we all have that is taken for granted. THey had literally no right at all to hold on to her and they should be punished. To be fair, everyones getting on at security but no doubt the manager was involved, and if he told the security guard to hold on to her and he's just doing his job, its the manager whose responsible. Either way, frankly one of them should lose their job, offer an apology and as i said, it doesn't deserve a jail term but in this day and age the degree by which you want to show how wrong someone was often is shown in the form of hurting whoever was in the wrong financially. Thats life, its a simplistic but effective form in this day and age.

Caporegime
drunkenmaster I think you have the police matter spot on :)

I brought it up in another thread but couldn't for the life of me remember the guys name. Guiliani was great in so far as, he was a politician with the balls to stand up and say, screw stats, screw election choices, I'm bringing in the right guy for the job and it may take some time, but it will work.

I'm thinking his name was Bratton, michael bratton maybe? read the biography a while back and its a fantastic read on how he basically brough New York under control, this was one of the most dangerous cities in the world TBh, and is now one of the safest. He had done the same thing in Boston i believe, before he was hired for the job in NY.

Its things like in LA, there was a park where everyone dealed all the time so they'd hit the place with raids every month but it didn't make a difference. Because of the area there were all kinds of bad people around, bums, hookers, dealers and was just a violent area. When they went at it a different way they put in harder to break higher up street lights all over the area, camera's high up also that were hard to break down. regular patrols, had Police on breaks when eating in cars and stuff park around there so there was almost constantly someone there. Had the council come in and redo the park so there were less bushes to hide around but look nice and put in a playground. THey basically took a troubled neighbourhood that for like a decade was full of gang violence and crime, stopped the futile raids and made some fundamental changes.

Its harder to do crime, when theres no where to do it, seriously.

LIke i said though, even if we had a prime minister with the balls to do that(we won't for at least another 4 years now), they'll be stuck with a crap work force with no power, no more money and no way to implement the needed changes.

Soldato
You're not a Store Security Guard or Rent-a-Cop by any chance?

Nope dont even work in security sector - far from it! Just someone who tries to see it from their point of view and hates the whole american style suing culture which is basically just greed. I agree with complaining but the whole compensation culture where money fixes everything doesnt make sense to me. Suppose I can see how it would make people who rely on possesions to be happy to feel better but not being one of those people I dont really get it.

I'd much rather see it that something better came out of the complaint instead of a police officer getting a bad record just so someone can buy some more clothes.

Make a complaint for sure if the officer was rude, etc so it gets fed back to them but I dont understand why people are going on about getting lawyers involved and suing for the most money. Just fail to see how that will help what happened! A letter to the police if the officer was rude for sure - but he was just doing his job at the end of the day!

Associate
I dont think that people should be able to sue over the retarded things. And totalilty has a really good point about if everyone sued for everything people will be scared to do anything at all wrong or take a chance. Not meaning that the op is wrong or right at all because at the end of the day none of us were there. I simple taking about people who do really really sue for the silly things. Bring back the policing days of Gene hunt and stop the police targetting easy crime instead of the hard targets. rant rant rant rant rant rant hehe

Associate
Nope dont even work in security sector - far from it! Just someone who tries to see it from their point of view and hates the whole american style suing culture which is basically just greed. I agree with complaining but the whole compensation culture where money fixes everything doesnt make sense to me. Suppose I can see how it would make people who rely on possesions to be happy to feel better but not being one of those people I dont really get it.
It has nothing to do with obtaining monetary compensation but everything to do with bringing those who act outside the law and their remit to account.

I'd much rather see it that something better came out of the complaint instead of a police officer getting a bad record just so someone can buy some more clothes.
:confused:

Make a complaint for sure if the officer was rude, etc so it gets fed back to them but I dont understand why people are going on about getting lawyers involved and suing for the most money. Just fail to see how that will help what happened! A letter to the police if the officer was rude for sure - but he was just doing his job at the end of the day!
You seem to have a very strange concept of how a police officer is supposed to do their job.

Could you explain how the comment "You're lucky I'm in a good mood, i would have banged you up for the night if i didn't get back off holiday yesterday" added any value to the situation?

Is this how you expect a police officer to behave?

Caporegime
fire the security guard who was trying to do a job,.

no he wasn't though was he, he refused to check back in the system for the item, and instead held her for 2-3 hours till he was FORCED to check the system, and then she was found innocent, so if he had done his job it would have been sorted in 5-10 mins.

Back
Top Bottom