Gislaved Tyres?

Soldato
Hold on guys, the product page shows the tyre with a BEAR!

Do your Vredstein or Michelins have that?

speed606baeruv.jpg

Soldato
I want to know how they got the bear to pose with the wheel like that.

If anyone knows about tyre design, its a bear - so a good purchase I'd say - definitely buy another 3.

Soldato
Sounds like the type of tyre a suicide bomber would use!

"CITIZENS OF THE UNITED KINGDOM. TODAY I HAVE USED SOME JALALABAD TYRES INSTEAD OF THE MORE POPULAR BRAND "FIREBIRD". IF YOU DO NOT MEET OUR DEMENDS BY THIRTEEN HUNDRED HOURS, WE WILL BE FORCED TO REPLACE THE OTHER FRONT TYRE WITH......."JALALABAD""

Associate
OP
Wow. I can't say I expected quite the number of replies, but did expect some of the comments.

I did not want to have the expense of fitting premium tyres, particularly as I was only replacing one, which is unlikely to make any difference in isolation.

Yes, I know tyres connect you to the road and are a big factor in safety, however, weighing up the way I drive, risk, safety bonus, etc. I am content with mid range tyres (i.e. nothing that's rolled off the back of a lorry, but not £100+ a corner either). Perhaps you don't share this view and would rather have premium tyres. I have no problem with that; we just have difference attitudes to tyre purchase at the moment.

http://www.tyretest.com/pkw_sommerreifen/gislaved/speed_606/index.html
http://www.viking.co.uk/gislaved.asp

It seems to get a reasonable (albeit limited) review and placed as a mid range tyre, so I'll hold off updating my will just yet.

I will let you know how I get on. If you don't hear from me you can assume I'm in a ditch and you were right.

Plus, the bear is pretty cool!

Associate
OP
mixing tyre types/tread patterns on the same axle is a no no.

Not the opinion of my local tyre fitter who I trust and have used in the past, who in giving be such an opinion missed out on the sale of another tyre.

I think I will take the word of his over a layman.

Soldato
mixing tyre types/tread patterns on the same axle is a no no.

A crossply and a radial are certainly bad to mix, on the same axle or between front and back.
But different brands and tread patterns are only going to be noticeable by the Real Driver as he relishes every nuance of feedback from his ultimate driving machine, pushing every last ounce of performance from his steed, and so on :p

Man of Honour
A crossply and a radial are certainly bad to mix, on the same axle or between front and back.
But different brands and tread patterns are only going to be noticeable by the Real Driver as he relishes every nuance of feedback from his ultimate driving machine, pushing every last ounce of performance from his steed, and so on :p

or when the different tread patterns send you into tree in an emergency situation... although most will claim diesel or ice rather than taking responsibility for bad choices

Last edited:
Soldato
Not the opinion of my local tyre fitter who I trust and have used in the past, who in giving be such an opinion missed out on the sale of another tyre.

I think I will take the word of his over a layman.

Not necessarily - if he had said you need to fit 2, you might have gone elsewhere to someone who was willing to replace only one.

Seems like a bad idea to me

Soldato
If one trye grips a fair bit better than the other would that be enough to induce spin under heavy breaking on reaching the coefficient of friction?

Soldato
I'd have replaced both front tyres (depending on wear*), and kept the part worn from the passenger side**.

*I have replaced one front tyre with an identical tyre, 500 miles after fitting a set.
**Might be of use if you have the same on the rear, or if you fit a pair on the front and this happens again after similar wear.

Back
Top Bottom