Gislaved Tyres?

Soldato
Unless you have large wheels, decent tyres aren't exactly expensive, which is why I don't understand people choosing to fit rubbish.

But it's your choice at the end of the day!

Soldato
Not the opinion of my local tyre fitter who I trust and have used in the past, who in giving be such an opinion missed out on the sale of another tyre.

I think I will take the word of his over a layman.

Yeah coz tyre fitters have a degree in vehicle dynamics don't they!

Suit yourself, I will let you deal with how your car handles in an emergency braking situation, or in adverse weather conditions.

All of the people above me must be stupid layman with less knowledge than a tyre fitter as well.

All that they say is true.

Soldato
Not the opinion of my local tyre fitter who I trust and have used in the past, who in giving be such an opinion missed out on the sale of another tyre.

fail. never ever trust sales people

i wouldnt be keen on mismatched tyres on the same axle. in a braking emergency, imagine one locks up first etc i really cant see the car wanting to stop in a straight line

cheap gyppo tyres, like has been said, why put something so safety critical into the hands of something you know nothing about. its not that important to some people, but if you ask on here the consensus is going to be that only a fool would put gyppo tyres on

Associate
Yeah coz tyre fitters have a degree in vehicle dynamics don't they!
And yours was a four year course with an industrial placement was it?

I can't say that I would have done the same as the OP, but all the 'OMG LingLong' replies are unfounded. How many people on here had heard of Falken F452s a few years ago. Then how many people have bought them because Johnny Numbnuts from teh internetz said 'tehre well good'.

Soldato
and when its all going horribly wrong, youre hard on the brakes, you can detect it locking up through your right foot, there are stationary cars ahead, the guy from the claim-to-gain-compo adverts is stood at the side of the road LOLing, and youre sliding along wishing "yeah, id pay anything for some decent tyres right now"

Soldato

Sorry but he is wrong. Unless he doesn't mind losing control under braking or a bunch of other thinks that could potentially happen.

Soldato
And yours was a four year course with an industrial placement was it?

No but they guy that told me was one of the lead designers for Vauxhall, he knew his stuff and went on to design many race cars! I can safely assume he knows a little more than your average Kwikfit fitter

We arent talking about the MAKE/MODEL of the tyre we are talking about the fact he mixed tyres on the same axle which produces instability in a lot of circumstances.

And yes, in my 31 years on road and track I have seen the results.

So go on Monkey_boy lets hear your view on mixing tyres and why its so safe rather than compare our comments with others views on tyres which if fitted in pairs wouldnt produce the effect we are discussing here.

:rolleyes:

I assume in your what, 5 max years experience on the road you have some valid evidence worth debating here

Last edited:
Caporegime
Blimey.

On a side note I over heard a conversation between two large ladies at Morrisons over the weekend and she was talking about having to change tyres on her car and she was miffed at the fact they cost £10 a tyre.

Surely there are not tyres out there that cost as little as £10. :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Blimey.

On a side note I over heard a conversation between two large ladies at Morrisons over the weekend and she was talking about having to change tyres on her car and she was miffed at the fact they cost £10 a tyre.

Surely there are not tyres out there that cost as little as £10. :eek:

Hopefully she's talking about fitting.
You'd be better off putting some ducktape on the wheels instead for 10 quid a tyre.

I wouldn't put ditchfinders on my car, if i can't afford decent rubber, part worns are next in line, some decent matching part worns. Better than shanghai specials made from bits of cake and used johnnys.

Associate
No but they guy that told me was one of the lead designers for Vauxhall, he knew his stuff and went on to design many race cars! I can safely assume he knows a little more than your average Kwikfit fitter

We arent talking about the MAKE/MODEL of the tyre we are talking about the fact he mixed tyres on the same axle which produces instability in a lot of circumstances.

And yes, in my 31 years on road and track I have seen the results.

So go on Monkey_boy lets hear your view on mixing tyres and why its so safe rather than compare our comments with others views on tyres which if fitted in pairs wouldnt produce the effect we are discussing here.

:rolleyes:

I assume in your what, 5 max years experience on the road you have some valid evidence worth debating here

My view is that I wouldn't do it myself. I'm not going to say that the OP is a crazy death defying loser because he's changed one tyre and not the other though, because I don't have any source other qualify that advice.
You weren't helpful and put your point accross poorly without anything to back up the statement. You'd think that with your age/experience/wisdom/internet skillz, you'd be able to do better. You and others are exaggerating claims that because he's mixed his tyres, he's destined to wrap the car around a tree with no hope of recovery, when all that's really likely to happen is that the performance and the extreme end of the spectrum will be reduced. If the OP was Rover416i or some such other nutcase who raced everywhere then your point would be a lot more valid, but do you really feel that the OP will be affected that much by this? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?

Soldato
My view is that I wouldn't do it myself. I'm not going to say that the OP is a crazy death defying loser because he's changed one tyre and not the other though, because I don't have any source other qualify that advice.
You weren't helpful and put your point accross poorly without anything to back up the statement. You'd think that with your age/experience/wisdom/internet skillz, you'd be able to do better. You and others are exaggerating claims that because he's mixed his tyres, he's destined to wrap the car around a tree with no hope of recovery, when all that's really likely to happen is that the performance and the extreme end of the spectrum will be reduced. If the OP was Rover416i or some such other nutcase who raced everywhere then your point would be a lot more valid, but do you really feel that the OP will be affected that much by this? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?

I don't know exactly what you read, but I merely stated that mixing tyres on the same axle is a no no, which it is if you want stability when you need it most. How is my point less clear than someone who asks how good a tyre is when they don't even state its purpose/vehicle it is going on? with further information it would be a lot easier to state the exact details of how it would affect his cars performance.

I never stated any of the BS you have written above, so may I suggest, if you are going to patronise me at least do it with some degree of skill.

FACT: Mixing tyres on the same axle WILL affect stability in adverse conditions, it can also affect stability on uneven road surfaces. It will almost certainly produce unpredictable results under braking hard, ie, when you may need stability the most.

30 seconds on a search engine can yield the outcomes people have listed above. Sure if you are gonna be driving along a straight road in perfect conditions, they will prove to be adequate, but personally, I wouldnt be staking my life on it, and your contribution to the discussion is merely trying to rubbish me, rather than add anything constructive to the debate. The minimal affect of mixing tyres will be some reduced grip at the rear (assuming he has mixed them on the rear). The worst outcome is severe instability during acceleration (more pronounced torque steer) and a car that will veer heavily in some circumstances under braking (if fitted at the front on a FWD car).

Without more information in the OP about vehicle, placement, condition of other tyres etc, it is difficult to be more specific, so therefore, I limit myself to just staing its a no no.

As for whether you should mix makes etc of tyres, it was enough for Kwik Fit to tell my leasing company that the tyres should be swapped in pairs for them to agree to change 2 tyres on the front rather than 1, for them to spend the money and use 1 good tyre as an emergency spare, so I thought it would be reasonable for a competent tyre fitter to have warned the OP about the possible adverse outcomes of mixing tyres on the same axle. The fact that he didn't would suggest to me that as a tyre fitter, being held up as an expert in the matter, and better than a layman, I was justified belittling his expertise.

Now, rather than spend your time trying to bash someone who gave legitimate information, go spend some time doing some research and improving YOUR knowledge. A google of tyre bible is a good start, who knows you may even learn something on the interwebz eh!

If you are actually interested in finding out about tyre mixing, here is one link I found in a few seconds http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=136 with my google skillz

The third option, choosing alternative tires, should only be considered as a temporary solution in an emergency situation. Using alternative tires from different tire performance categories, with alternate sizes or different speed ratings can unbalance the vehicle's handling in poor weather or when pushed to the limit in an emergency.

Because tires play such an important role in every vehicle's comfort qualities and handling capabilities, it is always best to drive on tires that are identical in every detail, including tire brand, model, size and remaining tread depth. Anything else involves some type of compromise.

Soldato
About 5 years ago in the states I paid 180usd for a full set of Kumho Ecsta HP 205/50/15 ....they were pretty decent tires too....not sure why decent tires are so expensive here.

Man of Honour
Tyres, brakes, suspension and oil should be the best you can afford. How many people here are running £5 plinky plonky tyres while moaning about the price of a set of quality tyres from a keyboard attached to a two grand PC. Really, if you can't afford to run quality tyres you can't really afford to run a car. The few extra quid spent on these could mean the difference on that day when the talent or consentration runs out, which it always tends to at some point.

Back
Top Bottom