Gladiator II

Soldato
Denzel is the ONLY think that makes me want to watch this as he rarely seems to make a bad film, but this reboot/remake/sequel just screams "cash grab before the Rights expire" rather than a film being made because the story is just so compelling that it MUST be told so I'm 99% sure I'll not be watching this at the cinema.

EDIT - Hmmmmm, 24 years since Gladiator, whats the betting there's some kind of 25 year clause somewhere in the original film rights!

Last edited:
Soldato
Denzel is the ONLY think that makes me want to watch this as he rarely seems to make a bad film, but this reboot/remake/sequel just screams "cash grab before the Rights expire" rather than a film being made because the story is just so compelling that it MUST be told so I'm 99% sure I'll not be watching this at the cinema.

EDIT - Hmmmmm, 24 years since Gladiator, whats the betting there's some kind of 25 year clause somewhere in the original film rights!

I think that’s probably exactly what’s happened, that and Ridley’s age. Just hope it’s not some mediocre mess but I can already tell it isn’t going to be a patch on the original. When he say it makes sense ‘economically’ to make a sequel it hardly fills me with confidence.

Sir Ridley, who made 2023's epic Oscar and Bafta-nominated film Napoleon, told Deadline last year, external that he made Gladiator II because "economically, it makes sense...

"I thought the [first] film was, as it were, completely satisfactory, creatively complete, so why muck with it, right?

"But these cycles keep going on and on and on, they repeat globally for the last 20 years. It started to spell itself out as an obvious thing to do, and that’s how it evolved."

Last edited:
Caporegime

Looks pretty awful :(

That music :(

Oh dear

People are saying the only reason the awful rap/hip hop music is in the trailer is because Denzel is in it :cry:

Soldato
Rap/Hip Hop is likely my favourite genre of music but it really didn't belong in the trailer to this.

Though I'm fully expecting the actual movie to have a killer soundtrack and not just modern music mixed into it. Would be a huge mistake if they did that.

Soldato
As terrible as that "music" is, I imagine the decisions regarding it lie at the feet of the marketing department trying to appeal to a younger audience.

At any rate, the trailer gives away the whole plot by the looks of things: Orphan kid get's taken as a slave / Pedro Pascal will be the general who ordered the murder of the villagers / Emperor Ed Sheeran is clearly a lunatic and people are plotting against him / Protagonist get's his wish and fights the general at the end, roll credits. (probably)

Man of Honour
I mean now I’ve seen the trailer I don’t need to see the film anymore and that music just cements that the film isn’t for me. I’m sure the younger generation will love it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom