Gladiator II

Associate
Dunno about you guys but when I go to the cinema it’s mostly young people, makes more sense to market the film at them rather than the middle aged and boomers who don’t go to the cinema as much.

Presumably data and analysis tell the film studios that trends like modern music over historical settings gets younger audiences attention more than if they used classical music. Would also explain other trends such as the “trailer starts now” nonsense as well as trailers that give away the entire plot of the film.

The studios and post production houses that put these trailers together aren’t stupid, it’s all done with the sole purpose of getting as many bums on seats as possible. Says more about the average punter than it does the people putting the trailers together. They will happily market a film as something it isn’t if it pulls in viewers, perfect example being the hilariously off tone final trailer for Civil War that tried to sell itself as a huge action film even though it had barely any action. Got to get them plebs buying tickets !

Anyway, I imagine they will probably release a trailer with a more authentic vibe in the future, Napoleon had modern music for its first trailer and then reverted to more traditional music in later trailers.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dunno about you guys but when I go to the cinema it’s mostly young people, makes more sense to market the film at them rather than a bunch of middle aged men and boomers who don’t go to the cinema as much.

A report the BFI did showed it trending in the other direction:

The relative proportion of admissions for each category has been broadly similar throughout the period, with the exception of audiences drawn from the 15-24 and 45+ age groups. There has been a small, but steady, downward trend in the share of admissions accounted for by 15-24 year olds, which decreased from a high of 35% in 2011 to a low of 26% in 2018, and a compensating increase in the admissions share of cinema-goers aged 45 or over, which rose from a low of 16% to a high of 23% in the same period.

Last edited:
Associate
A report the BFI did showed it trending in the other direction:

I guess if young audiences are trending downwards then it still makes sense to market to them. I’d imagine they would rather it was the other way round though, in terms of long term stability the last thing an industry wants is its primary audience getting older whilst popularity dips amongst younger generations.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hate it when things are done by committee, waters down artist expression. No difference with car designs these days, all pandered to certain markets so you get an aesthetic mess.

It shows such a disdain towards people, the idea that younger people might only be interested in seeing an historical film because it has rap music over it. Just make a sincere production, with heart, like the first film, and people will respect it and want to see it because of that.

This stuff winds me up so much.

Caporegime
Looks OK but kinda feels like it should have been a spin off more so than a sequel but then 'Lucius: A Gladiator Film' probably wouldn't play as well as Gladiator II will in terms of drawing people to see it on historical reputation alone.

Soldato
Paul Mescal's beard looks way too perfect, but otherwise it looks nicely gritty if I'm honest. Agree about the music, no need for modern/hip-hop over a historical movie. Completely ruins it, and I remember they did that with Napolean as well which bothered me.

Caporegime
I hate it when things are done by committee, waters down artist expression. No difference with car designs these days, all pandered to certain markets so you get an aesthetic mess.

It shows such a disdain towards people, the idea that younger people might only be interested in seeing an historical film because it has rap music over it. Just make a sincere production, with heart, like the first film, and people will respect it and want to see it because of that.

This stuff winds me up so much.

Exactly no one watched the first movie because of stats. People watched it because it was fantastic and fresh. You can see it all over YouTube now. Companies and investment funds buying out channels and using stats to try and get the most clicks when in the end they fail miserably as the content creators move on and do their own thing that people actually want to watch.

I re-watched Gladiator for the first time in close to 20 years because of this trailer and as an older and wiser person it moved me a lot more than before. A sign of a timeless film.

I think people and especially companies now try and math their way to success in our various forms of media but when you look back at history there isn't really a recipe for making a truly great film other than it coming from the heart.

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly no one watched the first movie because of stats. People watched it because it was fantastic and fresh. You can see it all over YouTube now. Companies and investment funds buying out channels and using stats to try and get the most clicks when in the end they fail miserably as the content creators move on and do their own thing that people actually want to watch.

I re-watched Gladiator for the first time in close to 20 years because of this trailer and as an older and wiser person it moved me a lot more than before. A sign of a timeless film.

I think people and especially companies now try and math their way to success in our various forms of media but when you look back at history there isn't really a recipe for making a truly great film other than it coming from the heart.

Yeap, I'm also seeing this a huge amount in Youtube, across lots of different types of channel too!

Creator X creates a popular channel - Company Y buys Channel X for a lot of money - Company Y then brings in new "managers" to run Channel X - New managers start to change lots of things about Channel X - Original fans of Channel X don't like the new changes and stop watching - Viewing figures plummet for Channel X and now Company Y is losing money so new Managers gut Channel X to cut costs - No-one watches Channel X any more and the channel dies - Creator X starts a new Channel Z which is a carbon copy of Channel X and all of the original fanbase starts to watch the new Channel Z - Repeat over and over and over again!

I think the biggest type of channel I've seen this with the most is UK/USA motoring channels, with over a dozen "big for motoring" channels going through some form of this loop.

Back
Top Bottom