Glasses wearers - help please!

Man of Honour
Thanks! But as a n00b to opticians etc, do I just make another appointment and ask for specific monitor glasses?

You need to do exactly as this chap did.
I started getting headaches too.. unfortunately the distance of my monitor is the mid-point where my eyesight is fine.
I have long distance glasses for driving and TV, but recently got some ones for on the computer. But similar to you, they made it worse.

I would measure accurately the distance of your face to your monitor, and make sure you test at that distance at the opticians.

That's what I did and Specsavers did a prescription for me based on that and it was bang on. No more headaches. Specsavers drew up the prescription then I ordered the actual glasses from Select Specs as they are massively cheaper. Specsavers coatings and special lenses are disgracefully priced.

Man of Honour
Assuming the screens are the same size and the scaling is set the same, then at 1080P you should be straining less as everything should be bigger.

Even if the screens at work are smaller e.g. the more typical 24" for 1080P screens, then the Pixels per Inch will still be lower (i.e. everything will be slightly bigger).

1713522292967.png
This is all true in terms of a like-for-like comparison but ultimately your assumptions in the first line are a bit of an unknown, we don't know how big the work monitors are, how far away he sits from the monitors at work compared to home (some offices it's hard to move the monitor screen close enough), whether he's using DPI scaling etc.
I've seen dual 1080p screens in offices be in the 22" range quite a few times for example (I've even seen 19", place I used to work you had the choice of 1x24" or 2x19") and that's pretty close to his home setup in terms of PPI, so if he's sitting closer to the screens at home the text might look bigger.

Last edited:
Associate
I am the glasses man

Get new glasses = no more headaches

:cool:

EDIT: Headaches could also be a symptom of a different medical condition. This is not medical advice.

Last edited:
Associate
Seriously if this is affecting you at work get a bigger screen, one with a blue light filter, and perhaps a higher refresh rate. Most businesses buy the cheapest monitors, if you had an issue with back pain then you’d likely get an ergonomic chair. I would discuss it with line manager in first instance and Occupational Therapy if you have a department.

Associate
OP
I've booked another eye test at Specsavers on Tuesday morning and I'm going to take measurements to my monitor screens. Thanks for the advice, I'll report back once I've got some new glasses :)

Going varifocal is a gamble but it worked out for me and there is no turning back. I'm using them now for a 27" screen at arm's length, a mobile phone at reading/book distance from my face, walking down the street, crossing roads and looking at lasers and other visuals when I go to gigs. You just look up to see further away and look down to see close up.

Also, having varifocals means that you don't need 2 pairs of glasses. When I had 2 pairs, I ended up losing one of them because I was switching between the 2 pairs and mislaid one of them. Having varifocals means that I wear that 1 pair full time so it's impossible to lose it because they're on me all the time. When I'm asleep or having a shower, I keep them on my bedside table, whether that's at home or in a hotel. So come up with a system on how you'll never lose glasses again.

So I recommend trying varifocal once and if it doesn't work out, then at least you tried.

Back
Top Bottom