Go buy a Harmony Smart Control

I moved over to an Ultimate after using a 555 for about 3 years (until I accidently broke the screen when more asleep than awake), and love it.

Especially the way I can also use my tablet to start things off if the remote is out of charge (which is rare).

Ugh, this is exactly why I recommend the "non" ultimate. When I used my Harmony One the cradle was such a PITA. I've had my first Harmony Smart Control since December 2013 and I've never changed the battery.

I also (personally) hate the phone app for "controlling" TV. Such a hassle to unlock your phone and start an app just to mute the TV if you get a phone call or something.

Also, lawls - got one for every room in the house. Replaced all the Harmony 300's and Harmony One's used previously :)

tzzkz6l.png

So I bought one and its all installed. Overall great and I am impressed.

pros
everything RoyMi6 said in 1st post
the IR is very strong signal, almost did both shelves of my cupboard just from top one.
response is much better - didn't realise harmony one was so slow till i used this.

negs
I was worried about my setup but it all worked in th end apart from I forgot 1 thing...
I used to control my room lights using the harmony one pointed to my light dimmer on the wall with IR receiver. I cant do this anymore so have to get up!! I guess I would need to buy the ultimate to do that but agree the charger is PITA

Only other thing is if a device doesn't operate correctly there is no way for wife to fix using help button that harmony one had that guided her through. Seem to be quite complicated to control individual device through phone app which she wont use.

There's two IR outs on the hub. It comes with one external IR emitter and you can pick up a second for less than £5 on eBay (remember the socket is 2.5mm though so get a converter if your new IR emitter is 3.5mm)

That should let you control your lights no?

Also I've never had a problem of something getting out of sync like used to happen with the Harmony One. Because the emitters are so close to the devices they don't miss a beat. If you do have problems the hub can be configured to increase the delay between commands and even be set to only send the IR commands for a specific device via the HUBs built in IR, IR out 1 or IR out 2 to avoid interference that way.

EDIT:

Another super pro tips is to buy stick-on IR emitters off a popular auction site (~£10)
"IR Extender 1 Receiver 4 Emitter Emitters Repeater Kit Hidden Infrared Remote UK".

They're designed as IR extenders so include a receiver unit and power etc but the bit you want is just the emitting part. Instead of being a single wide angle IR emitter on the end of a cable it's 4 individual stick-on ones. The ones from the bay use a 3.5mm connection so you'll need a converter (any 3.5mm socket to 2.5mm plug will work - I even use stereo ones) and it's just plug and play. Mean you've got an even greater change of a solid IR signal getting to your device.

EDIT2: Sorry, just realised I've said all this before in this exact thread but my points still stand - you should be able to get everything working as you hope! :)

Last edited:
If you read my earlier post you may remember the new hub is now in a kitchen cupboard with all my av kit.

the light IR receiver is built in to the actual wall light switch on a lounge wall. I don't think the wife would want a lead trailing half way round the lounge and that's even if I could get another one in from the kitchen.

fyi this is what I have

Hum, I obviously don't fully understand the problem but I'd look at either reversing your setup (put the HUB in the lounge) or decide whether you want to put in the effort running the extra cable to where it needs to go.

Good luck thought!

this is an amazing device. Picked one up and oh my god, super easy to setup and so much customisation. Having said that my setup is quite simple (TV, AV receiver, SKY and PS4). Just wish i can control my ps4 too. I set it up so my receiver switches to the correct ps4 input, so just need to switch on the PS myself, still want to use it for netflix though :(

this is an amazing device. Picked one up and oh my god, super easy to setup and so much customisation. Having said that my setup is quite simple (TV, AV receiver, SKY and PS4). Just wish i can control my ps4 too. I set it up so my receiver switches to the correct ps4 input, so just need to switch on the PS myself, still want to use it for netflix though :(

You can control your PS4, you just have to enable HDMI control in the PS4's options.

When I change to the input of my PS4 on the receiver it automatically switches to the PS4 on. Or I could just switch on my PS4 and it will automatically switch on my TV and receiver.

I can also use the directional arrows to navigate the PS4 UI and also use the rewind, fast forward, play, pause and stop buttons on my Harmony remote during PS4 Blu-ray playback.

I've never had anything but problems when trying to use CEC and the Harmony software in unison.

Might have to look into this though. Although this won't work for me as my projector that the PS4 is hooked up to doesn't support CEC.

Amazon dont appear to be stocking these anymore and a couple of 3rd party shops have them but not much stock.

I wonder if a replacement is coming? Maybe the one mentioned in the OP?

Amazon dont appear to be stocking these anymore and a couple of 3rd party shops have them but not much stock.

I wonder if a replacement is coming? Maybe the one mentioned in the OP?

Oh! I hope so!

The new "Home" range look good due to a couple of extra buttons and the ability to integrate with "If This Then That".

They've been out in the US for some time now so fingers crossed they're here sooner rather than later.

Likely when they do come I'll have a couple of old one to sell on the members market :)

If I have 2 hubs will 1 controller talk to both at the same time? e.g. control the telly in the bedroom via hub 1 and Sky+ box downstairs via hub 2.

If I have 2 hubs will 1 controller talk to both at the same time? e.g. control the telly in the bedroom via hub 1 and Sky+ box downstairs via hub 2.

Never tried but either:

1) The remote will only allow itself to be paired with one hub - so no.

or

2) The remote will be paired with both hubs but then control both hubs at the same time - thus not being a viable option.

The first one is the most likely to happen as the remote is always in sync with the hub, like it's a two way communication. But I can't see it working either way.

I bought one for the bedroom (already have one in lounge) and can use my phone to quickly switch between hubs and control either room (although not exactly at same time as requested)

I bought one for the bedroom (already have one in lounge) and can use my phone to quickly switch between hubs and control either room (although not exactly at same time as requested)

Good point! Forgot about this as the only time I use the phone app myself is to annoy the other half when she's watching some naff on the TV and she has the remote :)

@Roy, Good point about the configuration being downloaded to the remote, this does imply only one active pairing at a time. Guess I'm trying to be too clever but I've been struggling with apps finding the hub on frequent occasions (although, touchwood, since I've told the router to give the hub a fixed IP I've not have the problem the last few days) and looking for reliable solutions.

@rs1800, Not sure I'll bother with your idea, good as it is, as I find the apps hard too read with the small text. It was something Roy said on another thread that made me wonder if I could be 'clever'. I quite like little smart remote.

Perhaps I should moan to Logitech. I'd like to be able to customize the screens within the apps. Combine these 2 features and it's even more killer than it is now.

What exactly are you trying to achieve anyway? I'd never have recommend buying just a hub (I've said before that I personally hate any smartphone app being used as a TV controller) but did you buy "just a hub" because you thought it would do?

If so, sell the hub on (one got snatched up on members market earlier in the year) and buy the full Smart Control and Hub kit (currently £63 on Amazon)

Back
Top Bottom