God of War

Man of Honour
i really don't know how anyone can be bored with HZD as it is non stop action and story - whereas GOW has barely any story or characters at all.

Probably in the same way that someone can think that GoW has no story. I mean there are a bunch of people in this thread saying the story is good in GoW and then there is you who says that GoW has no story and equally oddly, no characters, its almost like you barely got anywhere in GoW and are basing it off the first hour of the game or something.

I really wanted to like HZD because I heard so much about it but I tried, and I tried, and I tried, 4 times I started the game and each time I just got bored at around the same position (about 5 hours into the game). I liked the graphics, loved the premise of the setting, enjoyed the combat but something about it just simply didnt click with me and I ultimately each play attempt found myself wanting to play something else. I'm clearly not the only one who felt this way because of the 10,167 negative reviews on Steam for HZD there are quite a few people who say in said reviews that they found it boring.

GoW on the other hand gripped me and I didnt want to play anything else while I played it.

So the crux of it appears to just be that HZD clicked with you but GoW didnt and the exact opposite for me, GoW clicked with me but HZD didnt.

Soldato
Probably in the same way that someone can think that GoW has no story. I mean there are a bunch of people in this thread saying the story is good in GoW and then there is you who says that GoW has no story and equally oddly, no characters, its almost like you barely got anywhere in GoW and are basing it off the first hour of the game or something.

I really wanted to like HZD because I heard so much about it but I tried, and I tried, and I tried, 4 times I started the game and each time I just got bored at around the same position (about 5 hours into the game). I liked the graphics, loved the premise of the setting, enjoyed the combat but something about it just simply didnt click with me and I ultimately each play attempt found myself wanting to play something else. I'm clearly not the only one who felt this way because of the 10,167 negative reviews on Steam for HZD there are quite a few people who say in said reviews that they found it boring.

GoW on the other hand gripped me and I didnt want to play anything else while I played it.

So the crux of it appears to just be that HZD clicked with you but GoW didnt and the exact opposite for me, GoW clicked with me but HZD didnt.
from my perspective i agree

i think the trouble is with HZD is

* no character has emotion
* faces are likeless & lip sync is awful
* the story premises so far fetched

The machined robots - awesome
the combat - decent
the detail to weaknesses etc - great

its almost like HZD should be Ubisoft game, Loads of stuff (some of which is repetitive) to do but story is so meh & you just need to ignore it for your sandbox

where as GoW is routed into lore, history, mythical legends & is grounded because of it it becomes more believable. not to mention there is emotion & lip sync is decent

Soldato
I just got this one. But, at first nothing happened then after watching a couple youtube videos I realized I had not lit up the braziers on each side and after I done that it worked like it should. Not sure if it is to any help for either of you though, especially V F since they did heard the first gong.
I just cannot get this, get the first gong on occasions but never the last, gave up.

Soldato
The second part of the fight with the two gods what on earth am I supposed to do?
The prompts say press Q and do something with the mouse but I have no idea what as everything I have tried, except the right one of course, does not do anything?

V F

V F

Soldato
They tease in the second part. One approaches you to block while the other attacks from another angle for you to actually block and throw him away.

Soldato
The second part of the fight with the two gods what on earth am I supposed to do?
The prompts say press Q and do something with the mouse but I have no idea what as everything I have tried, except the right one of course, does not do anything?
I had a bit of a problem with this to at first. I pressed the Q, and it blocked alright but couldn't move. Then realized have to move to where I want to be then block. You get the red danger signal, move yourself so you can block and then one of them attack but as V F said, he lands on your shield and you throw him away. After a couple of those the normal fight continues.

Soldato
I had a bit of a problem with this to at first. I pressed the Q, and it blocked alright but couldn't move. Then realized have to move to where I want to be then block. You get the red danger signal, move yourself so you can block and then one of them attack but as V F said, he lands on your shield and you throw him away. After a couple of those the normal fight continues.
So I block where the red signal is coming from and then just move the mouse to throw them, is that it?

Soldato
So I block where the red signal is coming from and then just move the mouse to throw them, is that it?
Just block and it is automatically.. You just use the mouse to move to where the red signal coming from, block the attack (but you will notice sometimes they feint an attack but you can see them coming and then backing off, so lower shield and reposition yourself when promted) and when they attack they get thrown away.

Soldato
I've decided I will try and 100% this, although Oden's ravens are going to be a real PITA!!
I would have thought the ravens would be easier then the Valkyries ?? Although they might be a bit hard to see on some locations, they don't totally wreck you in 10/15 seconds as a Valkyrie can do ! :cry:

Having seen a couple Valkyrie fights on Twitch I am not sure I can manage one, they have so many different attacks. But we'll see once I completed the game, presently doing the part to go to Jotunhelm but been doing some side content for a bit.

V F

V F

Soldato
Having seen a couple Valkyrie fights on Twitch I am not sure I can manage one, they have so many different attacks. But we'll see once I completed the game, presently doing the part to go to Jotunhelm but been doing some side content for a bit.

The hardest one I've encountered so far was, EIR. The area is so tight for her wave hits. You have to be so stupidly fast to get her back on the ground or it's death. It was definitely an interesting fight. That and the fact you couldn't see much for all the AOE effects.

1:29
https://youtu.be/3Ga2gsjNlDQ?t=89

Soldato
I would have thought the ravens would be easier then the Valkyries ?? Although they might be a bit hard to see on some locations, they don't totally wreck you in 10/15 seconds as a Valkyrie can do ! :cry:

I beat all the Valkyries on the PS4 (but had to turn Sigrun down to easy) so hope to be able to do that again competently on PC. Best thing to do is go in as prepared as possible with your Armour and max runics otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail!

I think I am at a similar point, I have escaped from Helheim and should be going to Jotunheim next but have been going around the lake doing some side content.

Soldato
I feel like I'm making really slow progress with this game considering I have about 16 hours of game time.

Only level 4 (I'd say 4.75 at the moment) and have just got a 'chisel'. I have explored a little bit and managed to meet some enemies who were purple bars. I did manage to beat a few of the ones that come out of the black floating orbs but they did take several attempts each. But it just feels like the levelling is going really, really slowly.

I fought the first Valkyrie, Gunnr. Was a fun fight. Took me about 4 attempts but once I worked out the best way to deal with her attacks and timing to block her, she was quite straight forward to beat.

Still having a lot of fun with the game now the combat is coming to me. I wasn't enjoying it too much at the start but once it clicked it became very fun and less button mashy.

uFEI2Yt.jpg

big guy having a snooze.

V F

V F

Soldato
I beat all the Valkyries on the PS4 (but had to turn Sigrun down to easy) so hope to be able to do that again competently on PC. Best thing to do is go in as prepared as possible with your Armour and max runics otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail!

I think I am at a similar point, I have escaped from Helheim and should be going to Jotunheim next but have been going around the lake doing some side content.

I see where Sigrun got those iconic moves from. Rota, who I've still to face. :eek:

Rota, Olrun and Hildr I've still to face before Sigrun.

Soldato
Best thing to do is go in as prepared as possible with your Armour and max runics otherwise you are setting yourself up to fail!

Yeah, after seeing the two Valkyrie fights I decided to wait with those until I'm all done with the main quest and have the best possible armor. Which might mean some grinding in Niflheim, which is where I went after I escaped Helheim.

Done all the favor quests, now just doing the smaller stuff like lightning the fires, opening those realm spots etc. Might go back to Muspelheim and see if I can mange a couple more arenas there. Also have to go back to Helheim since there is a few things left to do there, as well as Alfheim I think it is, with a beach on each side where you entered ? Typing this out I realize it is a bit more to do then I thought it be ! :cry:

The hardest one I've encountered so far was, EIR. The area is so tight for her wave hits. You have to be so stupidly fast to get her back on the ground or it's death. It was definitely an interesting fight. That and the fact you couldn't see much for all the AOE effects.

1:29
https://youtu.be/3Ga2gsjNlDQ?t=89

Thanks for the link and yes, that is one cramped space to fight a Valkyrie or any mob for that matter ! I am NOT looking forward to that fight ! Even if it looks like you were melting Eir there with ease !

Soldato
I did not realise that I had a bunch of treasure maps so have been doing them. Much prefer the twin fire blades as i felt tge axe as a bit wimpy. Still enjoying it but Dying Light 2 is oh so close and that is a game I am really wanting to play.

V F

V F

Soldato
I did not realise that I had a bunch of treasure maps so have been doing them. Much prefer the twin fire blades as i felt tge axe as a bit wimpy. Still enjoying it but Dying Light 2 is oh so close and that is a game I am really wanting to play.

The Axe is pretty op when fully upgraded and really strong runes. I'm currently chasing, Breath of Thamur. 4:04 https://youtu.be/JqFFtxxgAUk?t=244

Though, Glaive Storm is my favourite. 4:36. https://youtu.be/JqFFtxxgAUk?t=276

Meteor Storm I'm also chasing for Blades of Chaos.

Associate
36.8 hours in and so far so good. This is much longer than expected but I'm not feeling fatigued as I would with other games.

Soldato
The Axe is pretty op when fully upgraded and really strong runes. I'm currently chasing, Breath of Thamur. 4:04 https://youtu.be/JqFFtxxgAUk?t=244

Though, Glaive Storm is my favourite. 4:36. https://youtu.be/JqFFtxxgAUk?t=276

Meteor Storm I'm also chasing for Blades of Chaos.

I have no doubt my axe could be better but I never fully understand the myriad of upgrades and/or enhancements so beloved by games these days. Will look at your link to see if or what improvements I can make, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom