Going full on streaming

Soldato
I would go with Virgin Fibre at that price. Worth the extra £10 as you'd be lucky to see that 63 Mbps with Vodafone I would think.

I'm stuck with BT 50 Mbps and would be back with Virgin in a heartbeat.

Caporegime
I think pay 30 a month for fibre and Netflix
Another 9 for Spotify

Total streaming. Cost is 40 a month

Have itv player and all4 for as apps.

Amazon prime isn't good enough for me

Associate
Currently pay £54 for 100 Mbps broadband, tv and phone.

Switching to landline broadband 63 Mbps would cost about £23, + £9 for netflix standard = £32.

A saving of £22 isnt huge i know but still worth it given i hardly use virgin tv now. And id still have freeview.

If i stick with virgin fibre its £33 + £9 so £42.

Don't forget that you're also paying £12.50/month for the TV licence too.If you're watching anything on Freeview/Freesat you still need to pay it.

Soldato
I've been streaming only for about 4 years now but I cheat slightly by having the Sky app from my parents which I pay £20 a month for to cover the sports channels. Everything else I stream is on Netflix and Amazon. I don't watch any BBC at all.

If it wasnt for politics live I'd not watch BBC and be able to save the TV licence fee, other wise we just have Netflix for £9 or whatever the cost is and virgin Internet for about £21. My dad uses my Netflix and I have his sky go app installed on the xbox, however now game of thrones has finished I've not used it. That really is the best way to do it with subscriptions. Try find 1 or 2 people to share them with. One has amazon, another Netflix, another now TV etc. Between you then you cover most options at a fraction the cost.

For £9 per month my girl really does get her monies worth out of Netflix. I can't see how she's not a net loss for them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been streaming only for about 4 years now but I cheat slightly by having the Sky app from my parents which I pay £20 a month for to cover the sports channels. Everything else I stream is on Netflix and Amazon. I don't watch any BBC at all.

How are you watching the Sky stuff? I try with the Windows app for PC but the picture quality is awful. BT sport put them to shame.

Soldato
What TV are you actually getting? People are recommending various devices but chances are if it's an LG or Samsung you'll have all the same apps on the TV anyway and they'll work fine and be plenty responsive. There are various movie rental apps available too e.g. Rakuten TV, Chili and Google Play which offer UHD movies to rent or buy (Rakuten tends to have the best library of UHD stuff).

If you've got a Plex-capable NAS you can install the Plex server on it and run the Plex app on the TV to access your own media with a nice Netflix-esque interface rather than just a basic file browser.

Certain channels are HD on Freeview (i.e. the main terrestrial ones) but the likes of Dave, E4, Film 4 etc aren't.

Soldato
OP
What TV are you actually getting? People are recommending various devices but chances are if it's an LG or Samsung you'll have all the same apps on the TV anyway and they'll work fine and be plenty responsive.

Certain channels are HD on Freeview (i.e. the main terrestrial ones) but the likes of Dave, E4, Film 4 etc aren't.

For TV I am following the thread on avforums, and considering the Hisense H55B7500UK (£379) or H55U7BUK (£499), or for a bit more money the Samsung QE55Q70R (£799).

I think 55" will be big enough, but not buying until I'm in new house and can measure the area properly. Its possible I'll stretch to 65". My viewing distance will be about 2.5 to 3m.

I did consider OLED but its a lot of money, and I would rather spend the difference on a soundbar, nice tv cabinet and google home unit.

The avforums thread says that the minimum I'd need for good HDR would be the Samsung at £799, and if I go for the budget Hisense models there would be no point getting the premium netflix subscription.

Soldato
I've read that freeview/SD content will look crap on a big 4k tv?

Freeview HD channels will look the same as Virgin / Sky HD (I think they are slightly better than Sky HD actually but might be wrong). You'll lose your other HD channels like Dave which are only SD on freeview and yes they look terrible on any tv.

I wouldn't go streaming for live tv content though, freeview still beats the on demand apps for UKTV channels (Dave, Watch etc) as the quality on that is awful. The HD channels are also better than 4OD, ITVHub and iplayer live. Iplayer quality when not live is pretty damn good, ITVHub and 4OD are ok but you can't avoid the ads so I don't tend to use them and just record those channels instead.

You'll need a TV license for streaming live tv anyway and most TV's come with a built freeview DVR now (just add storage) or if its rubbish Youview is a pretty decent freeview DVR that you can pick up secondhand for £40 / £50 which gives you 1TB of storage for recordings.

Splitting the cost of Netflix / Prime with other people is a good shout as well, might as well enjoy that until they lock it down.

Soldato
OP
I don't intend to give up TV licence anyway, that's not on the table at present. Maybe if streaming turns out to be all I need, then I might consider it.

Can I throw soundbars into the mix here please? (everything I need to know about this whole topic is connected really - literally speaking as well!).

I was considering the yamaha YAS 207 soundbar and subwoofer unit at £249. It seems difficult to get anything cheaper. Feels kind of expensive for a few small speakers when Im potentially picking up the TV for only £379 if I go for the most budget model in my list.

Anyway, how do I know if it will be compatible with using a google home device? I'd like to tell a google home device to play some music through the soundbar when the tv is not switched on. What do I need to ensure I buy so that this works?

Its really confusing how all this stuff interconnects, or doesn't. Say for example I had some music on my NAS I wanted to play through my soundbar. Can I tell a google device to do that?

Caporegime
2. can you get channels like ukgold, dave, discovery etc, or do you lose these?
TV Player Premium? £10/month.

Been considering it for Mum but I don't think she'd be able to dig through the Firestick's menus to the TVPlayer app, then navigate the TVPlayer UI...

The current situation is only good for tech savvy people. For your mainstream users a single UI/EPG as delivered by Sky/Virgin (etc) is 100% needed. Your average user does not want to dig through multiple apps each with their own UI to get their TV.

Caporegime
I'd need to keep tv licence because I watch bbc quite often, but not too bothered about recording stuff because I use catch up services.

At the moment its looking like vodafone superfast 2 at £23 per month plus either netflix level 2 (£8.99) or level 3 (£12.99) depending on whether I think its worth getting a good HDR tv or not.

The avforums recommended tv for £500 is the Hisense brand (either 55" or 65" - both are £500) but if going HDR the minimum recommended steps up to £1200. That's quite a jump.

That's because decent TV is required for hdr.

It's well worth buying a decent TV because of the quality of the picture.

I'd recommend getting an OLED.

Hisense is cheap for a reason. The picture quality is poor on them. Plus £500 is nothing for a TV.

I try and spend around double that. Plus or minus £200 either way depending on the deals available.

A decent TV will stand the test of time. Cheap tvs are quickly shown up in terms of quality over a short period of time.

I don't intend to give up TV licence anyway, that's not on the table at present. Maybe if streaming turns out to be all I need, then I might consider it.

Can I throw soundbars into the mix here please? (everything I need to know about this whole topic is connected really - literally speaking as well!).

I was considering the yamaha YAS 207 soundbar and subwoofer unit at £249. It seems difficult to get anything cheaper. Feels kind of expensive for a few small speakers when Im potentially picking up the TV for only £379 if I go for the most budget model in my list.

Anyway, how do I know if it will be compatible with using a google home device? I'd like to tell a google home device to play some music through the soundbar when the tv is not switched on. What do I need to ensure I buy so that this works?

Its really confusing how all this stuff interconnects, or doesn't. Say for example I had some music on my NAS I wanted to play through my soundbar. Can I tell a google device to do that?

The yamaha yas 207 is a budget yamaha soundbar they arent that good.

I have the ysp 2700 in the bedroom, before that ysp 1600 and before that I had a yamaha yas something or other.

The ysp 2700 is very very good. The ysp 1600 was okay but the yas was crap.

In the living room I have a proper seperates setup with a 4k atmos yamaha avr, bk xxls 400 Sub woofer, etc.

Ysp 2700 is top tier next to Samsung atmos sound bars. Again it's worth spending money on proper quality sound.

You don't know what you are missing out on until you do.

Sound is half the media. I'd say whatever you spend on the TV you want to spend the same on the sound or at least half.

Which is why I have a ysp 2700 in the bedroom set up. It gets used for music, YouTube, etc as well as TV.

You should go watch a movie at the imax. They have like 200+ speakers in the room. I watched mad max fury Road in the imax and it was glorious. Well worth it. The sound in that movie is epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
OP
That's because decent TV is required for hdr.

It's well worth buying a decent TV because of the quality of the picture.

I'd recommend getting an OLED.

Hisense is cheap for a reason. The picture quality is poor on them. Plus £500 is nothing for a TV.

I try and spend around double that. Plus or minus £200 either way depending on the deals available.

A decent TV will stand the test of time. Cheap tvs are quickly shown up in terms of quality over a short period of time.

The avforums thread/guide says 90% of people will be fine with the budget Hisense models.

An oled would be lovely but £1300 is a hell of a lot of cash plus then the sound system on top, its running close to £2k. I cant afford that much.

Coming from a 10 year old 32" lcd and tv only sound, i should see a pretty big step up even if i go budget tv and budget 5.1 system?

Caporegime
Coming from a 10 year old 32" lcd and tv only sound, i should see a pretty big step up even if i go budget tv and budget 5.1 system?

Yes!

Also re: the sound, if you're on a budget then you can get some significant savings going second hand - new speakers aren't necessarily going to be radically better than say speakers a few years old - the technology hasn't really changed much. Likewise amplifiers (as far as the amplification itself is concerned) are all pretty much capable of delivering amplified sound with minimal distortion - assuming they're sufficiently powerful for the speakers you wish to drive then the main thing is do they have the features you want and if it's a 5.1 system that you're looking to set up then you've got plenty of choice.

Of course you'll get plenty of loons banging on about being able to hear all sorts with their golden ears etc.. but it mostly doesn't stand up in double blind trials so they can generally be ignored.

Soldato
Depends where it's being used but get a soundbar that has a night mode / voice mode. Heard so many where dialogue becomes inaudible at low volume or you suddenly get a big jump in volume, can annoy the neighbours late at night :D

PS4 app, quality is perfect.

Perfect is a bit much, I'd say its between SD / HD quality. Not as good as netflix or iplayer.
Now TV has a paid HD upgrade option now but haven't tried it.

Associate
Firestick mostly just makes a dumb TV into a smart TV. No need for it if your TV is already smart. You should already be able to get iPlayer, and the other channels' streaming apps
Until they stop updating the apps on your TV! The firestick provides you access to the Amazon infrastructure if you are already a prime member, so you get prime tv, movies and music. You can install almost any andriod app if you really want to but most of the big ones are already there. I use Netflix, iPlayer, Youtube all within the app and having alexa integration is nice.

Soldato
The LG OLED 55b9 can be found for under a grand and is well worth it IMO. The smart OS is great and it has all the apps you'll need, as well as having fantastic image quality. Netflix UHD offerings for example are fantastic on an OLED and worth the premium. :cool:

Caporegime
The avforums thread/guide says 90% of people will be fine with the budget Hisense models.

An oled would be lovely but £1300 is a hell of a lot of cash plus then the sound system on top, its running close to £2k. I cant afford that much.

this is where ignorance is bliss.

if you for example drive a corsa and only ever driven a corsa and never experienced a luxury car before then you have no idea what you are missing out on. therefore to you a corsa would be an acceptable vehicle to drive and use.

someone who spends £50K+ on a car would find a corsa completely unacceptable unless in an emergency situation or in a pinch. they wouldn't buy one for themselves because they know how crap they are after experiencing a decent car.

a 5.1 system has it's pro's and cons. if you buy speakers they can be used for pretty much forever so long as they are passive and you don't damage them.

the only things which need replacing over time are AVR's and subwoofers as they have electrical components which wear out over time. so there is low maintenance costs but high initial costs.

soundbars if it breaks thats the full thing needing replaced. but generally cheaper to buy in the first place but not by much tbh these days with high end soundbars.

also with 5.1 you have to have the space for all the speakers and the wiring. a lot of people don't want wires. which is why i have a soundbar in the bedroom. you could obviously run wires through walls, etc. Extremely overkill for a bedroom setup unless you are a millionaire.

So there are pro's and cons to every sound set up. With both you can also look at second hand. I bought my YSP 2700 for around £250 2 years ago after some guy who owned it for 3 months wanted to go 5.1, it was a £600+ purchase at the time. i got the receipt too for warranty.

I also bought every part of my 5.1 system second hand bar the AVR and the speaker wire. All off avforums including a brand new unused BK XXLS 400 subwoofer at a substantial discount. I did buy a second hand AVR as a stop gap then bought brand new when 4K, HDR, atmos was all finalised. I sold that on for pretty much what i paid for it after a year.

The speakers I have I will keep forever. I will add atmos when it's much more mainstream and better speakers available. Which is another pro of seperates. you can add to it whenever you want. start small and expand. like buy 2.0 initially, then go 3.0 or 2.1 or 3.1, then go 5.1, then go 5.1.2 or 7.1 after that.

Sound again is similar to the car scenario. If all you are used to is crap speakers, you don't know what you are missing out on. The best way to get the best sound available is through a decent headphone amp and some AKG K702's which can be had for under £100 now and are comparable to £300 headphones from the likes of sennheiser.

Back
Top Bottom