Going out Solo

Caporegime
Love spending time on my own.
I get some people cannot handle that, but I find solo down time, be that eating, drinking, digging etc at allotment is when I process stuff best.

I am now of the age, although have always had this thought to some extent, that I basically don't care what other people think.
Couldn't give a toss what some people may choose to think of if I went in to eat alone somewhere.

A book/kindle is always a great thing to have in your pocket.
Have spent many hours in hospitals etc where a drink and a book can while away hours waiting for people.

Sometimes people watching is more enjoyable than having to be social I find :)

Yeah I hit that age at about 35.
Ive changed my wardrobe, changed my attitude and my outward personality.

I say changed.. I mean.. Stopped thinking I should conform.

Its probably the single biggest personal developments I've made in my life.
Although it does mean people I share my time with have to put up with "aspects" of this version of me.

I no longer have any issues sitting on my own in a restaurant for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do this often and I'm married lol.

I go on holiday on my own as my wife doesn't like to travel. I'm going to live in France for a month solo in May and can't wait.

Also go to a lot of gig solo as friends aren't into the same music.
I know couples that do individual holidays. One does lying at the beach or poolside all day - the OH’s holiday from hell. Whilst the other site sees.

In the past, when could book flights directly at airports- the beach going one booked their holiday at a travel agency. Whilst the other looked at the flight information and saw a destination they liked the look of. Went to the desk for airline and booked flight. Usually there was an accommodation desk at the destination airport.

Caporegime
I think I stopped caring at late 20's or early 30's. Certainly by early 30's when I started travelling solo, I get to eat at places I don't know anyone 100% so who cares. I once went to a Michelin Star restaurant in Copenhagen alone. When I went to Japan I stayed at Ryokan alone which was meant for a couple, there were no single rooms available. The reservation even insists putting down a 2nd person's name (mandatory in the form with a * next to it). I put down Taylor Swift lol. This was back in 2017. When I turned up at check-in, I just said "Sorry, my friend can't make it". :D

97t41bi.png

Caporegime
I know couples that do individual holidays. One does lying at the beach or poolside all day - the OH’s holiday from hell. Whilst the other site sees.

In the past, when could book flights directly at airports- the beach going one booked their holiday at a travel agency. Whilst the other looked at the flight information and saw a destination they liked the look of. Went to the desk for airline and booked flight. Usually there was an accommodation desk at the destination airport.

I have 3 holidays a year abroad now.
2 for me alone and 1 together

My partner has 2 abroad. 1 for her and one together.

There are things that I do that she cant/doesn't like and same other way around.

Soldato
To be honest, I find it more odd that people are worried about going out and experiencing things solo (to a point of missing out), especially if single.

Soldato
When working away i can do it... But i've a mate that goes to the Cinema on his own... Maybe its a confidance thing.

I don't think I could go on holiday myself though.

I often have to be forced by others to enjoy myself.. Its kind of a family joke...

Caporegime
I will add that in some countries like Korea, the idea of being social is so ingrained that some restaurants do not take single person reservations. And if you do get a seat, every portion size are share size, meant for 2 people. They are getting better and there are more and more single person eatery now but even in 2020 I encountered a few that wouldn't seat me alone or serve double portions.

Associate
I would have no issues going out on my own.

Sometimes easier as then not waiting\relying on other people
Normally I have to wait for the wife to get ready and then talk all the way though what ever we're doing. Glad when she goes out with the son or her mates, peace and quite

Soldato
Normally I have to wait for the wife to get ready and then talk all the way though what ever we're doing. Glad when she goes out with the son or her mates, peace and quite
That's the thing, I can get ready in about 10\15 mins if I need too (including shower etc)

I don't go out much these days but I would not be worried what others think if I did.

As mentioned above by someone else, I wouldn't mind going to the cinema to watch a movie when its out later in the year and if I go on my own then so be it, if the other half wants to go she is welcome to come but its up to her lol.

In my younger life I used to spend quite a bit of time waiting for others to turn up when we used to meet up in pubs and had no problems sitting there on my own having a beer awhile waiting which most of the time was 30 mins+ lol

Last edited:
I spend all week on my own, working, playing games, food shopping and watching YouTube. When it comes to weekends and holidays, I spend it with my partner. I only go out when I'm with her. It seems pointless to me otherwise. I don't dislike my own company, I just prefer going out with her. She is a lot of fun to be with and we have lots of sex afterwards.

Associate
I spend all week on my own, working, playing games, food shopping and watching YouTube. When it comes to weekends and holidays, I spend it with my partner. I only go out when I'm with her. It seems pointless to me otherwise. I don't dislike my own company, I just prefer going out with her. She is a lot of fun to be with and we have lots of sex afterwards.
Get married and both disappear

Caporegime

Ah that last sentence. That's called investment.

Remember. Past performance is not indicative of future results

Soldato
I spend a lot of my free time at gigs, most of them I roll solo.
It's a good time, meet many strange and fantastic people.

It's proper weird when you end up chatting to someone who was at a previous gig and it turns out they have a pic of you in the crowd on their phone.

Yeah, this is generally the only time i do it. I'll generally enjoy a gig more if i'm on my own, especially vs going with someone who's not overly bothered about it.

Soldato
Visited De Montfort Hall (Leicester) and other venues alone.

Plus if booking last minute, the only seats available are random single seats.

Know people who checked out the available seats and like that. Didn’t bother to book up. Doesn’t matter if you don’t sit together? Even a row or two behind makes no difference imo. Just remember to decide what to do in the interval before.

Soldato
Visited De Montfort Hall (Leicester) and other venues alone.

Plus if booking last minute, the only seats available are random single seats.

Know people who checked out the available seats and like that. Didn’t bother to book up. Doesn’t matter if you don’t sit together? Even a row or two behind makes no difference imo. Just remember to decide what to do in the interval before.

You'd sit in a different place to the person you have gone to the event with?

Permabanned
I will add that in some countries like Korea, the idea of being social is so ingrained that some restaurants do not take single person reservations. And if you do get a seat, every portion size are share size, meant for 2 people. They are getting better and there are more and more single person eatery now but even in 2020 I encountered a few that wouldn't seat me alone or serve double portions.

I worked out in Korea for a few months. The idea of everyone ordering a separate meal and not sharing is alien to Korea culture. You can’t fault their logic - why would you want to eat just one thing when you can enjoy a whole range of things?

It did mean that I spent a shameful amount of time eating in fast food places and hanging out in dodgy bars in Itaewon though.

Back
Top Bottom