Going realistically vegan

Associate
I have yet to find a fake meat that tastes even remotely nice.
Personally I'd just ditch fake meat and have a paneer and beetroot burger.
So many lovely vegetables no need to pretend it's meat.

Yes if I was going to go Vegan I would go the whole way rather eat the factory produced fake meat, how highly processed is it?

I was just making a stir fry with some left over meat from Sunday with some pepper, onions and mushroom and I though I could quite easily leave out the meat and it would just be as tasty.

Fair point, thank you.

Today has been a bit of a fail so far. I have stuck to the vegan plan BUT consumed more calories that I would have expected in the process.

I have eaten

1 pot of Alpro yoghurt - 250 kcal
a packet of nuts - 300 kcal
A felafel salad - 300 kcals
A vegan rocky road bar - 300 kcal
A smoothie - 150kcal

I had to eat all that to feel full! That's nearly 1400 kcal by the end of lunchtime!

I have to sort out what I'm eating otherwise this is going to be counterproductive.

As for going Vegan to lose some weight by itself I do not think it is going to work. All the thing you have listed are rather high in fats or sugars and as such high in calories.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
As for going Vegan to lose some weight by itself I do not think it is going to work. All the thing you have listed are rather high in fats or sugars and as such high in calories.

Come on, give me a break, this was my first day! I still have a lot to learn. Tomorrow will be a bit different.

The Alpro yoghurt to start the day was a terrible idea. Porridge [with water] is surely a way better start. And then soup with bread for lunch, that's the work plan.

yea you need more brown rice and vegetables

Yup, as recommended by Showgirls.

Soldato
porridge with water is a stoic/puritannical option - milk.

but, as commented, first write down what is bad about current diet (to wit chips) maybe a few pounds can be shifted without spending more pounds on a vegan oddysey
fish based diets must be the most expensive, no sign of the british fishermen sending brexit surplus to local cambridge supermarkets anyway

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
A colleague just gave me a packet of Haribo for a job well done.

I told her I was now vegan and it was unacceptable to assume my dietary choices. She looked kind of upset but I knew I was in the right. Because vegan > *. Get on my level.

Soldato
I hae an issue with all this labelling people do, you are vegan, your are not, etc.

Eating less meat and more vegetables is good, but you don't need to be too hard on yourself, if you label yourself as vegan, than drink milk in your tea, well you can't be vegan and you've failed right? Might as well give up and get a 20oz steak.

It's all ********.

Just do whatever you want, you don't need to sit into some kind of pre determined class to do it.

Soldato
I hae an issue with all this labelling people do, you are vegan, your are not, etc.

Eating less meat and more vegetables is good, but you don't need to be too hard on yourself, if you label yourself as vegan, than drink milk in your tea, well you can't be vegan and you've failed right? Might as well give up and get a 20oz steak.

It's all ********.

Just do whatever you want, you don't need to sit into some kind of pre determined class to do it.
Couldn't agree more.
I'd argue there are no 100% vegans, I just don't think it's possible in the strict sense.
Yes purely the food you consume but not as a whole way of life.

Soldato

It's all ********.

I'm fully vegan except for steak, fish and cheese. I've also been known to indulge in cured meats like salami, it's delicious

Caporegime

It's all ********.

Exactly.

I haven't eaten any meat today but I've put milk in my coffee and butter on my toast. Tonight I will probably have pizza and put about 10 slices of pepperoni on it. That's pretty much will be all the animals I will be eating. I might make some jelly too for tomorrow so can't be vegan.

I don't think about it.

Soldato
I went "vegan" for about 18 months. It wasn't 100% as i was taking glucosamine, chondroitin and msm tablets for me knee. In the end i went back to cheese and eggs as i needed the protein for my cycling.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Today has been way better than yesterday. I've had

1 plain bagel for breakfast

and for lunch

1 plain bagel
Cup of lentil soup

All in all that's about 550 calories, less than half the amount of this time yesterday and I feel way more satisfied too.

Caporegime
Yup, as recommended by Showgirls.
never watched it.. I almost live on brown rice, sweetcorn and petit pois with chicken right now :D
I went "vegan" for about 18 months. It wasn't 100% as i was taking glucosamine, chondroitin and msm tablets for me knee. In the end i went back to cheese and eggs as i needed the protein for my cycling.
yea vegan protein is all meh.. seems extra firm tofu is the best there is, I guess your meant to eat a lot of red beans etc in your diet :S

all the so called good vegan protein offer like 5-7grams per 100g... that's almost nothing compared chicken

Soldato
Go full time vegetarian and aim to be vegan. Easier that way. Cut out the refined carbs like your breads/bagels/white pasta/rice etc. also cut out the sweet treat stuff and replace with fruit/nuts.

I needed eggs and used Parmesan for pasta when I had it.

will plan to continue a while longer but am considering eating meat once per month or every two months.

Back
Top Bottom