Going to re do my gcse's

Soldato
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at least 30% of people have degrees. 1 out of 10 people probably have a PHD. So its not even worthwhile. Having a degree is just like having a parking ticket...everyone had one.

Even if you are getting awards at school and uni for high marks dont expect to get a job out off it or to make any adavantage in your job hunting progress.

I recommend chose a trade. Sparky, joiner, plumber?

Are you always full of **** these days?

Soldato
Got to be honest, if you got an E in maths GCSE, I dont think doing it at A-level is a good idea

Don't talk crap, I got a D in college, went to college got my C and then did a 3 year electrical course which involved a lot of electrical equations and I think now I could do A level Maths.

If you have the right attitude, that's all you need. and the motivation.

Soldato
Some bizarre comments in this thread. But anyway, the advice given regarding taking an Access to HE course is good. At your age it's your best route into University.

The course generally consists of 3 different subjects taken over the course of a year. The workload for each subject varies hugely, however the vast majority of students who enroll have full time jobs and are studying on a part time basis but still manage to complete the course in a year... some take 2. If you need to sort out your English and Maths as well, it might take 2 years, but it all depends on how much time you can commit. If you can attend daytime courses as well then you should be good for a year.

I'd go down to your local college and have a chat with someone there and explain what your plans are. They'll give you the best advice.

Soldato
What do you want to be in life, after you've got the qualifications you want? You could take some level 2 BTECs with a D in England and an E in Maths, participate in functional skills classes, and then progress on to a level 3 BTEC of some description. Last time I checked, 3 distinctions in a BTEC Level 3 (equivalent to 3 A grades) = 360 UCAS points in a Class C subject (Google it for more info).

Functional skills should also provide you with recognised skills in English, Maths and Science (I think; not too sure about science), or should at least help you when applying for a University place or a job. If functional skills doesn't satisfy you, then you could revise for your GCSEs inbetween college (if you chose to do a BTEC), and sit them when you can.

Last edited:
Associate
I am re-taking GCSE maths at the moment at the same time as sitting level 3 maths too.

Its never too late, the people that say it is are scared or stupid. It is a brave thing going back into education, don't doubt your abilities.

Courage is taking on something that is hard and not being afraid to fail.

Soldato
Look at Access to Higher Education courses, tbh. They're a one year qualification that are aimed at mature students who want to get into uni... but, whilst on them, you have the opportunity to do GCSE level maths and English, to satisfy that aspect of university entrance requirements.

If OP is serious about going to Uni then I 100% suggest an Access to HE course.

Aren't the access to higher education courses quite intensive though? Maybe you should consider whether you will be able to cope.

It varies. What Moses commented on may be from his own experience. Before I started my course we were reguarly told that this would be the case. It is mostly down to setting enough time aside and showing up to all the classes. Although other Access groups would often say that they were struggling.

During my Business course we started with 23 and 11 finished. There were also a few working full time but they had to give this up due to the weekly schedule. It will vary and I suggest speaking to the College you want to study at.

Also do university's tend to frown upon people who have done access courses or would that only be the top university's?

Of the people that applied to Uni from my Business course (and finished it), everyone got accepted. I'm now starting a Computer Science degree next week at Cardiff University, which isn't a crap Uni.

As long as the University accepts Access students there is every chance of getting in. This can be checked out by ringing the Uni you're interested in and asking.

I'd also add that there are different levels of Access that you study from. You are assessed before the year begins on English and Math. Depending on you're score will depend on the level of Access you go into. If you're score is good the course will be 1 year (level 3). If you are slightly below competant levels you may be asked to do a 2 year course (level 2) and if you are terrible there is a 3 year course (level 1).

There is an advantage by doing a 2 year course in that English and Math can be done at GCSE level. When studying at level 3 English and Math is not at GCSE level (at least where I went) as it was deemed to much workload for the year, instead we had an equivalent qualification that wasn't as comprehensive as the work done during a GCSE. The other advantage by doing a 2 year course is that you won't need to study English and Math when you go into the final year.

This probably won't be exactly the same for every College so ring and find out, I completed my Access course in the summer and prior to that Access had changed greatly over the previous 3 years.

Having no kids and leaving full time employment I had more than enough time to complete the course, I had Distinctions for every single assignment - it was that easy (as long as you turn up evey lecture and do the work at home). One thing to note though is that there are ZERO exams, I didn't think this was a good thing personally, the entire course was assignment based.

When I did my Access course it entailed of certain level 2 mandatory subjects whilst completing my level 3.

English
Math
Study Skills
Tutorial

But again, things may be different at you're local College. Also note that Access has started for this year about 1/2 weeks ago, it may be hard to get on a course at this point now.

Hope this helps

Associate
OP
If OP is serious about going to Uni then I 100% suggest an Access to HE course.

It varies. What Moses commented on may be from his own experience. Before I started my course we were reguarly told that this would be the case. It is mostly down to setting enough time aside and showing up to all the classes. Although other Access groups would often say that they were struggling.

During my Business course we started with 23 and 11 finished. There were also a few working full time but they had to give this up due to the weekly schedule. It will vary and I suggest speaking to the College you want to study at.

Of the people that applied to Uni from my Business course (and finished it), everyone got accepted. I'm now starting a Computer Science degree next week at Cardiff University, which isn't a crap Uni.

As long as the University accepts Access students there is every chance of getting in. This can be checked out by ringing the Uni you're interested in and asking.

I'd also add that there are different levels of Access that you study from. You are assessed before the year begins on English and Math. Depending on you're score will depend on the level of Access you go into. If you're score is good the course will be 1 year (level 3). If you are slightly below competant levels you may be asked to do a 2 year course (level 2) and if you are terrible there is a 3 year course (level 1).

There is an advantage by doing a 2 year course in that English and Math can be done at GCSE level. When studying at level 3 English and Math is not at GCSE level (at least where I went) as it was deemed to much workload for the year, instead we had an equivalent qualification that wasn't as comprehensive as the work done during a GCSE. The other advantage by doing a 2 year course is that you won't need to study English and Math when you go into the final year.

This probably won't be exactly the same for every College so ring and find out, I completed my Access course in the summer and prior to that Access had changed greatly over the previous 3 years.

Having no kids and leaving full time employment I had more than enough time to complete the course, I had Distinctions for every single assignment - it was that easy (as long as you turn up evey lecture and do the work at home). One thing to note though is that there are ZERO exams, I didn't think this was a good thing personally, the entire course was assignment based.

When I did my Access course it entailed of certain level 2 mandatory subjects whilst completing my level 3.

English
Math
Study Skills
Tutorial

But again, things may be different at you're local College. Also note that Access has started for this year about 1/2 weeks ago, it may be hard to get on a course at this point now.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info, I don't think I'm going to take maths on the access course now other than maths and english at gcse level.

From looking on the Access website it seems not all courses are available at all colleges and is actually very limited.

Soldato
our lad got a d and e in english and maths,

they discounted him for an IT course at btec because of this,

I send the college a very nasty letter about how maths / english is not important in IT.

They offered him an unconditional place and he got DDDMM or somethnig like that it was the 3rd highest in the year.. (should have been all distinctions but I wont go into that)

You can take i think its called "key skills" for maths and english, its a GCSE level course and its jsut a part time thing - its very easy even bar staff who's fisrt language is not english can get it... (my missus is a NVQ coach)

Soldato
our lad got a d and e in english and maths,

they discounted him for an IT course at btec because of this,

I send the college a very nasty letter about how maths / english is not important in IT.

They offered him an unconditional place and he got DDDMM or somethnig like that it was the 3rd highest in the year.. (should have been all distinctions but I wont go into that)

You can take i think its called "key skills" for maths and english, its a GCSE level course and its jsut a part time thing - its very easy even bar staff who's fisrt language is not english can get it... (my missus is a NVQ coach)

maths isn't important in IT?

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Soldato
Forget GCSEs and probably A levels too - I have 14 of them collectively and they have done nothing for me.

Much better off going for access courses/foundation degrees matey.

Good luck!

Soldato
maths is the basis of IT.

genuine lol,

never have I needed maths to reinstall a server, or configure a network...

18 years in IT 1st/2nd/3rd line support never needed anything more complicated than excel sum of a column, maybe a sub or mutiply. IP stuff is not really maths either...

Back
Top Bottom