Golf!

Man of Honour
FerretBoy said:
Erm you mean the code is 40kb?

The below is 39 and it doesn't do anything..
Code:
#include <iostream>
int main ()
{	
}

Yes.....yes thats what I meant, sorry :( In the excitment I looked at 40 and say bytes, put 2 and 2 together and got 5 apparently :p, Ah well, yeah 40kb, I've since managed to get the code itself down to 4kb. But the exe is still 48kb

Soldato
Code:
<?$a=' bottle%s of beer';$b=" on the wall";for($i=99;$i>0;){$s=$i>1?'s':'';printf("$i$a$b, $i$a.\n",$s,$s);echo($i-->1)?"Take one down and pass it around, $i":'Go to the store and buy some more, 99';printf("$a$b.\n\n",$i!=1?'s':'');}

Last edited:

Una

Una

Associate
357Bytes

Code:
void b(int _){if (_ == 1) {printf("1 bottle of beer on the wall, 1 bottle of beer.\nGo to the store and buy some more, 99 bottles of beer on the wall\n")    ; return 0;}printf("%i bottles of beer on the wall, %i bottles of beer.\nTake one down pass it around, %i bottles of beer on the wall.\n\n",_,_,_);return     b(--_);}int main(int argc,char** argv) { b(99); }

Haskell Version

alex@nop:~$ du -b beer2.hs
351 beer2.hs

351 bytes for the code (Too much for the binary! :))

Code:
beer 1 = "1 bottle of beer on the wall, 1 bottle of beer.\nGo to the store and buy some more, 99 bottles of beer on the wall.\n"
beer n = show n ++ " bottles of beer on the wall, " ++ show n ++ " bottles of beer.\n"
	++ "Take one down and pass it around, " ++ show (n-1) ++ " bottles of beer on the wall.\n"  ++ beer (n-1)

main = putStrLn (beer 99)

Last edited:
Soldato
Una said:
3440 Bytes.... can't get much smaller without using asm and stripping out the elf header etc, and making it totally non portable :)

alex@nop:~$ du -b beer
3440 a.out

Code:
int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
	beer(99);
}

void beer(int bottles)
{
	if (bottles == 1)
	{
		printf("1 bottle of beer on the wall, 1 bottle of beer.\nGo to the store and buy some more, 99 bottles of beer on the wall\n");
		return 0;
	}
	printf("%i bottles of beer on the wall, %i bottles of beer.\nTake one down pass it around, %i bottles of beer on the wall.\n",bottles--,bottles,bottles);
	return beer(bottles--);
}

Looks like it could be made much smaller, also, it doesn't work with the singular after you've taken a bottle away from 2 bottles.

Soldato
Very similar PHP one (229 bytes):

Code:
$a="%d bottle%s of beer";$b=" on the wall";$i=99;while($i)printf("$a$b, $a.\n%s, $a$b.\n\n",$i,$i>1?'s':'',$i,$i>1?'s':'',$i>1?"Take one down and pass it around":"Go to the store and buy some more",--$i>0?$i:99,$i>1||!$i?'s':'');

I did write an extremely fruity gzip-based one based on a compressed version of the above but annoyingly had problems uncompressing weird characters. It was around 150 bytes though :)

arty

EDIT - Forgot to remove the braces, now 233 :p

EDIT - Dodgy bool cast, now 231.

EDIT - Added another dodgy bool, now 229.

Last edited:
Soldato
C++ version at 358:
Code:
#include <iostream>
int main(char *z){using namespace std;char a[]=" bottle";char a2[]=" of beer";char b[]=" on the wall";for(int i=99;i>0;){char s=i>1?'s':'\0';cout<<i<<a<<s<<a2<<b<<", "<<i<<a<<s<<a2<<".\n";if(i-->1)cout<<"Take one down and pass it around, "<<i;else cout<<"Go to the store and buy some more, 99";cout<<a<<(i!=1?'s':'\0')<<a2<<b<<".\n\n";}}

Una

Una

Associate
Haskell again.

alex@nop:~$ du -b beer2.hs
321 beer2.hs

321Bytes.

Code:
bo,be :: String
bo = " bottles"++be++" on the wall"
be = " of beer"
b 1 = "\n"++"1 bottle"++be++", 1 bottle of beer.\nGo to the store and buy some more, 99"++bo++"."
b n = "\n"++show n++bo++ ", "++show n++" bottles"++be++".\n"++"Take one down and pass it around, "++show(n-1)++bo++".\n"++ b(n-1)
main = putStrLn (b 99)

Sure someone could get a perl version uber small :)

Last edited:
Soldato
c++ first stab, 374

Code:
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;typedef string s;int main (){s w=" of beer";s x=" bottle"+w;s y=x+" "+w;s z=" on the wall";for(int i=99;i>0;i--){s a=i>1?x:y;s b=i>2?x:y;cout<<i<<a<<z<<", "<<i<<a<< "."<<endl;if(i>1){cout<<"Take one down and pass it around, "<<i-1<<b<<z<<"."<<endl;}else cout<<"Go to the store and buy some more, 99 "<<x<<z<<".";}}

Man of Honour
Code:
#include <iostream.h>
using namespace std;
int _tmain()
{for(int i = 99; i > 0; i--){
		cout << i << " bottles of beer on the wall, " << i << " bottles of beer\n";
		cout << "Take one round and pass it around " << i - 1 << " bottles of beer on the wall\n\n";
	}return 0;
}

265bytes

Second attempt, not gonna get below 100 I dont think lol

Last edited:

Una

Una

Associate
Steedie said:
Code:
#include <iostream.h>
using namespace std;
int _tmain()
{for(int i = 99; i > 0; i--){
		cout << i << " bottles of beer on the wall, " << i << " bottles of beer\n";
		cout << "Take one round and pass it around " << i - 1 << " bottles of beer on the wall\n\n";
	}return 0;
}

265bytes

Second attempt, not gonna get below 100 I dont think lol

You have no singular or bottle restocking on 1 :)

Soldato
Mickey said:
C++ version at 358:
Code:
#include <iostream>
int main(char *z){using namespace std;char a[]=" bottle";char a2[]=" of beer";char b[]=" on the wall";for(int i=99;i>0;){char s=i>1?'s':'\0';cout<<i<<a<<s<<a2<<b<<", "<<i<<a<<s<<a2<<".\n";if(i-->1)cout<<"Take one down and pass it around, "<<i;else cout<<"Go to the store and buy some more, 99";cout<<a<<(i!=1?'s':'\0')<<a2<<b<<".\n\n";}}

Reduced it a little to 333:

Code:
#define O std::cout<<
#include <iostream>
int main(){char* a=" bottle";char* a2=" of beer";char* b=" on the wall";for(int i=99;i>0;){char s=i>1?'s':'\0';O i<<a<<s<<a2<<b<<", "<<i<<a<<s<<a2<<".\n";if(i-->1)O"Take one down and pass it around, "<<i;else O"Go to the store and buy some more, 99";O a<<(i!=1?'s':'\0')<<a2<<b<<".\n\n";}}

Soldato
FerretBoy said:
Reduced it a little to 333:

Code:
#include <iostream>
int main(){char* a=" bottle";char* a2=" of beer";char* b=" on the wall";for(int i=99;i>0;){char s=i>1?'s':'\0';O i<<a<<s<<a2<<b<<", "<<i<<a<<s<<a2<<".\n";if(i-->1)O"Take one down and pass it around, "<<i;else O"Go to the store and buy some more, 99";O a<<(i!=1?'s':'\0')<<a2<<b<<".\n\n";}}
Knew somebody would ;) Been a looong time since i've done any C++

Soldato
Mickey said:
Knew somebody would ;) Been a looong time since i've done any C++

just saw another change, 320 now:

Code:
#include <iostream>
int main(){char* a=" bottle",*a2=" of beer",*b=" on the wall",s;for(int i=99;i>0;){s=i>1?'s':'\0';O i<<a<<s<<a2<<b<<", "<<i<<a<<s<<a2<<".\n";if(i-->1)O"Take one down and pass it around, "<<i;else O"Go to the store and buy some more, 99";O a<<(i!=1?'s':'\0')<<a2<<b<<".\n\n";}}

Last edited:
Soldato
Golfing was one of the ways I learnt to code >10 years ago. As rob says, it's nothing new :)

Once you enter the real world though.. golfing gets a new rule along the lines of "... and in the least amount of time possible." :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom