US: Goliath

Soldato
Watched it through a couple of weeks ago.

I like courtroom stuff and Billy Bob Thornton, so really enjoyed it. It's certainly not amazing though.

Cooperman is such a cartoon villain. He's like something from a Bond film. A bit silly.

Soldato
As another thought: 8 episodes is a really good length for a series. 10 is ok too, but I tend to find there's just too many filler episodes once you get to more than that.

Nice and compact, the plot keeps rolling.

Associate
Started watching this last night thanks to this thread. Was a bit dubious at first due to ANOTHER lawyer series, but it was entertaining.

Episode 2 spoiler:
WTF at that woman being hit by a van out of nowhere! :O

Yes, very much an :eek: moment.

Have the last one to watch tonight.

Would very much like to see a 2nd Season.

Soldato
I really enjoyed this, good characters, decent story and just the right length. The weakest part, which is ironic, considering this is a courtroom drama, was the trial. It basically came down to all the resources of a huge, corporate, multi-national law firm versus Billy Bob's charisma and in reality that would result in him getting annihilated every time.

Associate
This started off strong, but then really ran out of steam.
It never explained why Donald hated Billy so much, or how he got burned. I kept waiting to see some flashback or monologue to explain it, but it never happened, so there was no pay off for my patience there. This made him such a one dimensional villain. There was that dream sequence where billy flicked the cigarette at him, but that was nowhere near good enough.

I don't think the other characters were fleshed out enough either. I didn't really care about any of them, like the daughter was complaining about how crazy the case was making her mother but that wasn't really conveyed since she seemed fine when she talked about the case in the law firm, and she wasn't even really working on it, she just chipped in once in a while with some commentary.

And what happened with the prostitute and the cop at the end? He pulled her over and pushed her down but then we don't find out what happened there. And she got really screwed at the end, after all the work she put in helping Billy he totally blanked her.

I didn't get why they killed that Carl Stoltz guy either. I thought he was going to be a "mini-boss" since he was doing all the dirty work and then he just ended up getting murdered off screen with no explanation. I didn't get the relevance of the cop telling the prostitute that (forgot her name, something "Gold"?) either. If anything, the copy should have been killed for giving up Carl's name and being a loose end since he beat up Billy and gave him the DUI charge.

I don't think they did they explained the psycho lawyer falling in love with Donald well either. She had never even met the guy before and then from the very first time she sees him she's suddenly in love with him even though he's over twice her age and hideously scarred. There wasn't a proper build up there IMO, and at the end when she sees he was using her, she still loves him! Made zero sense.

Soldato
Finally got around to getting this off my watchlist, after finishing it I'm kicking myself for not picking it up sooner. Enjoyed this and it was nice to see courtroom setting that was removed so far from how Suits normally does it.

Roll on season 2.

Soldato
S2 came out Friday, just finished it for me it was a let down compared to S1 as considering he's a lawyer out of the 8 hours of S2 he spent 20 minutes or so dealing with court stuff the rest felt more like a private investigator.

So many hits against the 'good guys' in S2 and it's left open for S3 to continue the storyline.

Back
Top Bottom