Gone cold turkey.... On un-social media

Soldato
Anyone else just gone cold turkey on the lot of it?

Absolutely, I deleted them all a couple of years ago. I actually cringe a little when I see people flicking through Facebook or discussing something they saw there.

There's a couple of high level management personnel who've left the organisation recently and absolutely slated it.

Edit: www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/blogs-trending-42322746

Soldato
Haven't had a FB account for years now, I don't like posting about my life everyday :p.

I still have an Twitter and Instagram account, follow only a few on both and never actually post myself. I don't even follow all my family as I don't need to know that my brother is in the pub every other day.... :rolleyes:.

I think I'm more addicted to OcUK forums than I am social media.

Man of Honour
Ive a Twitter, that’s it. I use it to track stuff of interest and the odd rant when the mood takes me.

That’s it

Caporegime
i use facebook for videos or related game content thats it.twitter for same or to rant at companies to get things done.use social media correctly its not bad.use it for personal things its beyond stupid.

most thing are fake or business promoted or someones gain.or some silly feud of someone you dont really care about.let em get on with it.have fun :D

Soldato
That's it, I'm done. Deleted (as in removed completely, not just deactivated) Faceache back at the beginning of December, removed my Instagram account towards the end of December and now I've just deleted twitter as well.
Anyone else just gone cold turkey on the lot of it?

Not really cold turkey as I haven't ever been on any of those places so it's not hard to miss them. I'm just really not bothered what other people are doing or what famous people have to say so they've interested me.

I use two forums, this and another, the other I haven't posted on in a while as I've been busy sorting my mining rig out so been on here a fair bit, but usually internet and phone use is for reading a bit of news and checking emails, that's about my lot.

Soldato
I find it interesting sometimes hah - I know people read all kinds of theories into it but it is interesting when certain people pop up in "people you may know" that you have zero prior online connections to.

They have access to your credit card statements, they have access to a lot of private e-mails, they can track you via facial recognition...

.. which makes me wonder why they keep showing me adverts for phones after I’ve just bought a new phone. :p

Man of Honour
no, why would I. it a tool. dont blame it when you fail to use it in the way you are happy with. it is not perscribbed you have to use it in the way you were.

Soldato
I deactivated FB a while ago but found myself logging in every now and then to check. I didn't know you could actually delete your account until I read a bbc article about online security. Anyway i'm about 4 month without it and don't really miss it, most of the content on mine was just people showing off.

Man of Honour
They have access to your credit card statements, they have access to a lot of private e-mails, they can track you via facial recognition...

.. which makes me wonder why they keep showing me adverts for phones after I’ve just bought a new phone. :p

I've had some weird ones - talking to my mum about a certain type of cereal - got back to my PC and next refresh of facebook was ads for it heh. Did make me wonder if there was anything running on her phone - definitely not on mine (EDIT: Though not sure how it would have linked that to me anyhow other than maybe detecting relationship "proximity" and just spamming it widely to "nearby" linked users).

Man of Honour
Best decision I made was to never visit the Dailymail website again. Over 12 month since I clicked that website, more should do the same as it wins if you get angry at it.

Associate
Well done to Fuzz.
I never had facebook, twitter or intagram.
I don't even like watching films or reading novels that depict the Internet, mobile phones or social media.
We need to have one day a year dedicated to a Internet-free and mobile-free day.

Soldato
I havent done any social media for years. I don’t care what people think of me and don’t care to try and impress people posting about every single thing I do or what I have bought. Do I miss having hundreds of fake friends that I don’t speak to in real life? Do I miss seeing the millionth video of someone’s precious snotty nosed kid or picture of a girl pouting like a duck every 5 minutes? Do I miss seeing people living the champagne lifestyle going on holiday and getting new cars despite the fact I know they can’t afford it? Do I ****!
Quitting all social media and just living your life in the moment with real friends is the most invigorating thing anyone can do.

Man of Honour

Forgive my ignorance - how can Facebook see your credit card statements?

Soldato
whos fault is that, could it be yours. yep.

its so annoying when people don't have FB when organising things.

:rolleyes: Yes it's my fault that people feel compelled to post everything online. I could always choose to hide/unfriend people, but taking myself off was much simpler. I don't struggle to organise events either, i just phone people and actually speak to them instead... oh the horror!

Man of Honour
:rolleyes: Yes it's my fault that people feel compelled to post everything online. I could always choose to hide/unfriend people, but taking myself off was much simpler. I don't struggle to organise events either, i just phone people and actually speak to them instead... oh the horror!
it absolutely your fault who you follow and what you see. Some reason you and others like Dav4 think you have to friend everyone and look at rubbish. Its just not the case. funny the people who have an issue with social media cant customise it for some unkowen reason, seeing as its easy.

Back
Top Bottom