Gone cold turkey.... On un-social media

Soldato
Stopped using Facebook and everything about 6 or 7 years ago. It's not something I feel I need in my life. I guess once past the initial phase you would see its nice to not know everything about everyone :)

Man of Honour
Stopped using Facebook and everything about 6 or 7 years ago. It's not something I feel I need in my life. I guess once past the initial phase you would see its nice to not know everything about everyone :)
Another person who can't use it, or secretly finds there friends really annoying.
There is none of this know everything about everyone.

However getting rid of it would get rid of my news sources (straight from the research labs and the like before they've been miss quoted by the news), when events/festivals are/tickets. Using messenger, following certain companies I'm interest in etc.
Friends and me post very little and just don't befriend every man and their goat.

Twitter pretty much never post unless I need to complain to a company. But follow F1 and rocket launches,again no nlknowing everything about everyone or countless duck face pictures etc.

In fact ocuk is far more junk social media that likes of Twitter or FB.

Soldato
Why do you need to have a word with yourself - it isn't necessarily something you'll be in control of... do you have any hobbies/interests? Do you work for an employer*? etc..etc.. if everyone else is a member of the group and relevant information you either need or could really do with accessing is shared within that group then that isn't something you've necessarily got control over

Everything in my current life doesn't need anything social media based, so I'm sorted. TBH I wouldn't put myself in the position where it was needed.

Caporegime
Everything in my current life doesn't need anything social media based, so I'm sorted. TBH I wouldn't put myself in the position where it was needed.

but like I pointed out that isn't something you'd necessarily have complete control over... though you've avoided the questions about whether you're an employee etc..

Soldato
but like I pointed out that isn't something you'd necessarily have control over... though you've avoided the questions about whether you're an employee etc..

I didn't avoid it, I just thought I encapsulated it with one response of "nothing in my current life requires it".

Yes I am an employee and yes I do have control over it, as you seem so keen to tell me I'm not.

Caporegime
I didn't avoid it, I just thought I encapsulated it with one response of "nothing in my current life requires it".

well that response doesn't encapsulate it, while nothing in your current life might require it that could change in future...

Yes I am an employee and yes I do have control over it, as you seem so keen to tell me I'm not.

I didn't stay that you don't... perhaps you do have complete control over whether your employer gets employees to make use of say WhatsApp, perhaps you're the CTO or something.. but that is unlikely to be the case for most people and indeed you might change jobs in future...

I've already highlighted/given other examples of where social media can come into play though the choices of others rather than yourself

Soldato
YOU ARE HERE :)

I've pointed out previously, I come here for mining tips and to keep up with graphics card developments, occasionally I see a topic from here in the main forum list and have a nose in. This is all anonymous **** with quite frankly, and no offence, loads of people I couldn't give a toss about so it's not what I'd class as social media, although I'm sure like yourself many do class it as that. I don't know anybody here and never will, it's just somewhere to waste time whilst doing other stuff. I don't have net access during work hours so it's all pointless for me anyway.

I don't understand what is so difficult to grasp about "not getting it" some things just don't float some people's boats and facebook, twitter, whatsap, instagram etc do absolutely nothing for me at all.

Soldato
well that response doesn't encapsulate it, while nothing in your current life might require it that could change in future...

I didn't stay that you don't... perhaps you do have complete control over whether your employer gets employees to make use of say WhatsApp, perhaps you're the CTO or something.. but that is unlikely to be the case for most people and indeed you might change jobs in future...

I've already highlighted/given other examples of where social media can come into play though the choices of others rather than yourself

My employer doesn't even know what Whatsap is, so there's a high probability I'm never going to have to use it. I don't work in an industry where it's needed and never will, or if it ever does then I'm screwed as I won't be forced into it for the sake of an employer.

Man of Honour
I don't understand what is so difficult to grasp about "not getting it" some things just don't float some people's boats and facebook, twitter, whatsap, instagram etc do absolutely nothing for me at all.

I understand it 100% but when you post "TBH if I ever get to the stage in life where being signed up to some form of online group is essential then I need to have a word with myself" then you need to step back and realise you have done just that on here :)

Soldato
Another person who can't use it, or secretly finds there friends really annoying.
There is none of this know everything about everyone... Blah

Well when I last used it 6 or so years ago I thought I knew how to use it and simply decided I was done with it. I deleted people I never give a crap about and I still decided to use my time on other things. You clearly have it all nailed whereas I must be struggling in my life without it.

Rolleyes.

Soldato
I understand it 100% but when you post "TBH if I ever get to the stage in life where being signed up to some form of online group is essential then I need to have a word with myself" then you need to step back and realise you have done just that on here :)

Just bolding the bit you missed. I chose to sign up here, the post I quoted was inferring being signed up to some facebook group was essential to something they were doing, not a choice.

Man of Honour
Just bolding the bit you missed. I chose to sign up here, the post I quoted was inferring being signed up to some facebook group was essential to something they were doing, not a choice.

I know you were, making out that a Facebook group is different to here - it isn't.
Actually I now see what you're getting at.
if you had a job where they wanted you to be part of a Facebook group then you'd have a word with yourself.
Well yes, you'd need to have a big word because why would it be bad if it was a way of contacting others as long as you don't step outside of it?

I play in two bands - one is really easy to manage because all 5 members and sound/lighting man are in a hidden facebook group.
The other is a PITA because two members refuse to join, one wants to be emailed but only checks his emails once a week and the other wants texts but I don't look at my phone much.

Last edited:
Caporegime

well not essential but you'd miss out on important info if not signed up... so the awkward individual did relent and sign up with a throwaway account after a couple of weeks

Soldato
I know you were, making out that a Facebook group is different to here - it isn't.
Actually I now see what you're getting at.
if you had a job where they wanted you to be part of a Facebook group then you'd have a word with yourself.
Well yes, you'd need to have a big word because why would it be bad if it was a way of contacting others as long as you don't step outside of it?

If it's just for contacting people I work with then what is wrong with phone, texts and emails?

This isn't like facebook at all, for a start there's no names or information about anybody.

And you're writing this on OcUK? :p

As above! Forum use is a form of social media! Arguably worse as we are on the whole strangers.

To be fair guys, most of us on here have been on OcUK for over 10 years. In the OP's case, he's been on here since 2003, and forums certainly weren't regarded as social media back then. In fact, I don't think the term was even coined.

Indeed we are mostly strangers on here, but a forum is about discussion. You actually get responses to your post, which I find is a more personal experience. People pressing the like button instead of writing a response on Facebook I find quite impersonal.

Back
Top Bottom