Good amount of Ram and HDD space to have?

Gangster
Associate
I am in the market for another gaming PC, last build I got told 8GB is more then enough... and you wont be going over 1TB of space anytime soon. Also the i5 3570k was the best CPU for gaming at that time as games were not truly utilizing multi cores...

Been out the loop for some time... but I have noticed a trend with games...

Games file sizes have increased dramatically... I was wandering how much TB of space would you need?

Is 16GB of Ram Sufficient for 4k Gaming?

Are the quad core CPU's From Intel all you really need... or are games utilizing 6-8 cores?

Reason Why I am asking is I do not want to make any mistakes with the parts I choose and do not want to go overboard with my budget...

I have already purchased a 1TB Samsung 850 SSD... and I can salvage a 1TB HDD for my new build for my photo's and movies with certain games such as Indie titles.

I want majority of my games.. BF4, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, BF 5 (When released) SWTOR, e.t.c all on the SSD and was wandering even with my OS on the same 1TB SSD... I will be running out of space quickly?

Last edited:
Associate
A good start is
16gig of ram
An ssd is a must these days a 256gig to 512gig for the games u play a lot
A 3tb hardd drive for other stuff and games
Lastest intel cpu will always be better needs to be quad core games are using the cores these days
A 970 - 980 gpu will keep u going but the 970 is only 3.5gig in reality

Associate
What's your budget?

An i5 is plenty good for most games, but for games that do utilise more than 4 threads properly (such as BF4) an i7 can make quite a difference to minimum frame rates.

16GB should be more than enough for gaming for a few years.

Difficult to say how much disc storage space you'd need without knowing what programmes and games you're planning on installing, as well as how much media you've got, but I'd think 2TB of combined storage between your SSD and HDD would be sufficient. Most "AAA" games require between 10-20GB of storage, so you should be able to keep most of the games you're currently playing on the SSD.

Gangster
Associate
OP
I have been told the new titles are taking up 30-40GB?

gears of war ultimate edition - 60GB :O

so if games are taking that much space... I can only have 10-12 games and my OS on my 1TB SSD.

Associate
^^Yep, some newer games are pretty huge. GTA5 is a 60GB install, BF4 is also ~60GB and the Star Citizen client is expected to be ~100GB :eek:, but the majority of games released within the past 4 years are nowhere near that size. Maybe my previous estimate was a little on the low side... I'd perhaps revise it to 15-30GB for "AAA" games. One thing you could do to gauge your storage requirements though would be to go into your steam library, arrange your games by list view and then choose to sort by size to see how much space you're currently using.

Gangster
Associate
OP
So what about this then

Install all AAA titles that I will play on the regular such as BF4, BF5, Witcher 3 (Once I completed it, and done with the game will uninstall from ssd), Doom 4 e.tc (Also the games I will play on the regular) So that will save me some space for my 1TB SSD

Stick all the other games I wont play as much or are a solo experience on my 1TB HDD... then When the time comes to upgrade... get another 1TB SSD?

Associate
^^Sounds fine. I personally just move games I'm no longer playing from my SSD to my hard drive. If the time ever comes when I want to replay those games then I can just move them back over to the SSD.

Back
Top Bottom