Good Area in North London for £1300?

Soldato
Chiswick to Liverpool Street is not an easy or quick journey, it would be an hour or more. Even fairly nearby Hammersmith which is on the H&C line to Liverpool Street is a 40 minute tube journey.
OP asks for North London, Ocuk gives him Chiswick. Lol. I doubt you can find anywhere for £1300 in Chiswick proper either, it's well pricey.

Last edited:
Associate
Just my own preference but id be heading a little further out to somewhere like Stevenage, St Alban's, Hatfield or Welwyn Garden City etc

Slighter longer commute but better housing situation

Soldato
£1,300 a month and comments like "it's not a lot of money" and "gang culture and gun shots"

How much do you need to pay to be in a good (safe) area these days in London?

Soldato
if you want to get on the housing ladder these days you dont have much choice.

Depends if you need/want to live in London I guess, I'm perfectly happy with my £350/month mortgage on my 3 bed with reasonable sized garden and driveway, the fact I'm not in London is just a bonus :p (although I'm in Birmingham which I guess is the next worst thing :()

Caporegime
£1,300 a month and comments like "it's not a lot of money" and "gang culture and gun shots"

How much do you need to pay to be in a good (safe) area these days in London?

A buttload.

There is a new block of flats being built next to ours at the moment in Tottenham (we are moving out to the suburbs at the end of March), and the studios are going for £350k, and a 2-bed for £530k.

In freaking Tottenham! On the plus side, we did get £400k for a 6 year old flat that was bought for £160k.

Soldato
Having spent my first 25 years living in Enfield (near Enfield lock) I can strongly advise do not move there. It used to be decent when I was a young kid, but it’s progressively got worse and worse. I’m desperate to convince my parents to move away from the area.

Would be interested to know why you think it has gone down hill (and what it used to be like before).

Soldato
Would be interested to know why you think it has gone down hill (and what it used to be like before).

Easy.

Its slowly turning into Tottenham, as London expands outwards the surrounding areas also get worse. The only thing that keeps areas “nice” is house prices, as it stops the “unwashed” from moving there

Also i blame brexit (not really just before someone else mentions it)

Soldato
Easy.

Its slowly turning into Tottenham, as London expands outwards the surrounding areas also get worse. The only thing that keeps areas “nice” is house prices, as it stops the “unwashed” from moving there

Also i blame brexit (not really just before someone else mentions it)

As an aside,

Much has been made over the last couple of years about how dramatically crime has fallen in New York.

Of course, this has been credited to changes in Policing priorities and strategies.

I actually think there is a simpler reason.

New York is now a very expensive city to live in. Even Harlem is considered up-market now.

The Scum just cant afford to live there any more!

Soldato
I've been in Archway near Upper Holloway for the last month in an AirBNB you could probably get a place for £1300 a month here, I mean it's a ghetto and a hellhole but I haven't been stabbed yet.

Back
Top Bottom