Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Thanks for the recommendation :)

Didn't you say you were using the 250GB drive that came with the server? In which case the recommended brackets are no good for you as they're for 2.5" drives (laptop, SSD etc) whereas you're using a 3.5"

5.25 to 3.5 adapters can be bought for as little as 2 quid. No matter how much of a cheapskate you are surely you can afford that :D Got to be better than the disk flapping around inside the case. SSD's don't need to be that firmly mounted, but mechanical drives do really.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Didn't you say you were using the 250GB drive that came with the server? In which case the recommended brackets are no good for you as they're for 2.5" drives (laptop, SSD etc) whereas you're using a 3.5"

5.25 to 3.5 adapters can be bought for as little as 2 quid. No matter how much of a cheapskate you are surely you can afford that :D Got to be better than the disk flapping around inside the case. SSD's don't need to be that firmly mounted, but mechanical drives do really.
Oops, my bad! Paintguy is absolutely right. I am using an SSD at the top of my MicroServer, not a 3.5" hard drive. I hope you didn't pull the trigger on that!

Soldato

Ooooof thanks for pointing that out :p Totally missed that :p

Think ill get a little bracket just to keep it happy :p

Soldato
People who stream media (MKV, AVI, FLAC, MP3) from their Microservers. What's the best FREE application/service to use (on Windows)?

Using Serviio at the moment, it's alright, wondered if there is anything better.

Associate
Does anyone have any idea how much power these servers use each month? I've had mine running pretty much 24/7 for a month or so now but I've not been paying any attention to how much electricity it might be consuming.

I can't imagine it'll be much but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly?

Associate
Does anyone know where to purchase replacement parts for an n40l such as the motherboard or if the n54l mobo's fit as the case dimensions seem to have stayed the same?

Soldato
I thought XBMC was a media application rather than a streamer/transcoder?
Either way, i'll give it a go.

Depends on your definition of streaming. It is not a transcoder but that's not what was asked for.

"Streaming" merely means to play remote media rather than download it. This is exactly what XBMC will do when you point it at a file share (SMB/NFS etc).

Soldato
Depends on your definition of streaming. It is not a transcoder but that's not what was asked for.

"Streaming" merely means to play remote media rather than download it. This is exactly what XBMC will do when you point it at a file share (SMB/NFS etc).

Ah right. This is not what i'm looking for. I'm looking for something that will allow me to share/transcode media to stream to my TV's over the network from this server. The TV's will be playing them

Soldato
Ah right. This is not what i'm looking for. I'm looking for something that will allow me to share/transcode media to stream to my TV's over the network from this server. The TV's will be playing them

I totally misread your question then. When I saw "what's the best application/service to use (on Windows)" I thought that's what you were streaming TO. My bad!

(As a side note what you want to ask for is a DLNA server as that is what these applications are)

Associate
Does anyone have any idea how much power these servers use each month? I've had mine running pretty much 24/7 for a month or so now but I've not been paying any attention to how much electricity it might be consuming.

I can't imagine it'll be much but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly?

N40L with a 1.5tb Green WD hard drive, running server 2008R2, with reasonable power settings in a low use scenario is ~30 watts. This translates to about 0.72kwh a day, 21.6 a month.

That's about £2.1/month, or about £26 a year.

I'll have numbers for a N54L in a week or two, once I've uncrated them.

--
Also, I'm writing my own personal install guide to remind myself of what I did. It's long, wordy and the guide I would have wanted to follow.

Is it worth posting it somewhere? If so, where?

Soldato
People who stream media (MKV, AVI, FLAC, MP3) from their Microservers. What's the best FREE application/service to use (on Windows)?

Using Serviio at the moment, it's alright, wondered if there is anything better.

I've recently started using Plex and find it amazing. It was really simple to setup and I'm able to stream videos at 720p through remote wifi and can even get it at 720p with a decent 3G connection :)

Back
Top Bottom