Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Hi frozennova yea I did sometime ago now do it through the client. Is there a way of getting another license or do I need to upgrade to 5.5 in order to do so?

Thanks again for your help

Soldato
Hi frozennova yea I did sometime ago now do it through the client. Is there a way of getting another license or do I need to upgrade to 5.5 in order to do so?

Thanks again for your help

sounds like its unlicenced to me, i would double check it accepted the licence code. you should see the licence code on your VMWare account when you login. Once licecned it doesnt ask inform you of number of days left.

Associate
Guys,

I have a HP server running WHS 2011 with a ATI 5450 card, this is my Plex server and use a Mac Mini for watching content.

How do I go about running the HP to an AV Amp so I can watch movies in True-hd/MasterHD? is it simply plugging it into the amp and watch through the Mac mini as OSX doesn't support TrueHD audio

Associate
Guys looking for a bit of help here. I've got a N40L and I'm trying to install Windows 7 on it however when I go to install it, it complains that the CD/DVD drivers are missing. I'm installing from the USB drive and tried changing the BIOS from AHCI to IDE in case that was causing the issue.

Any ideas?

Associate
Just a heads up for us owners, windows 8.1 will not install / update from win 8 on these servers with the standard nic enabled. (same goes for server 2012 r2 essentials)

Found this out after trying most of the weekend to install it!!!!

I tried installing by upgrading from windows store, fresh install from DVD and USB and still no joy. It would always hang on the "getting devices ready" and at different points. It got to 25%, 50% and the best i got was 85%, which is weird in itself as you would thought it would stop at the same point all the time.

Anyway after searching the net i stumbled across a few websites (below) and all of them state its the oboard nic, if you disable it in bios, win 8.1 will install but still won't work in windows after installing, after re enabling obviously. It seems to be a known problem for Microsoft and HP and apparently they are working on a fix. Most people seemed to have resorted to using a separate nic card.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...stuck-at/b6126784-1f7c-46ad-aaad-5fe825536508

http://geeklingo.net/windows-server-2012-r2-fails-install-hp-microserver-n36ln40ln54l/

http://homeservershow.com/forums/in...l-server-2012-r2-essentials-on-a-microserver/

If anyone figures it out without the need to buy a seperate card, please post up as i've just forked out for the licence and can't use it!! - i know an extra £10 for £15 for another nic card is not breaking the bank, but these things should be a no brainer and work out the box, plus i've already got a pci slot used by graphics, and i don't want to loose my only remaining slot until i absolutely have to. So at the moment i'll hang fire, see if it gets fixed / figured out.

Cookie

Soldato
Has anyone successfully used a PCI-e RAID card (or HBA) and been able to access the configuration utility in the N40L or N54L?

I've got a couple of LSI SAS3041 HBA raid cards but I cannot get the configuration utility to display. It asks me to press CTRL-C, then loads it, flashes up a message stating it's successfully installed then just continues to boot the microserver.

A bit of searching has suggested there may not be enough Option ROM space available for it and that disabling onboard devices may help. So far it's not looking good :(

Soldato
Guys looking for a bit of help here. I've got a N40L and I'm trying to install Windows 7 on it however when I go to install it, it complains that the CD/DVD drivers are missing. I'm installing from the USB drive and tried changing the BIOS from AHCI to IDE in case that was causing the issue.

Any ideas?

could make like a little easy and just add in a temp drive connection? if you set it up once then ghost it you should be able to boot and ghost off usb in future, just a thought?

Soldato
Fan Mod Complete :D

So at the risk of tempting fate I believe I just finished replacing both fans in the Microserver (N54L) according to Madness' instructions earlier in the thread, and unless it's setting my house on fire as I type this (please god no!!) I believe it has been a success. In case it helps anyone here are my thoughts:

- Replacing the 120mm fan was dead easy, but whilst I'm sure for a more experienced modder the instructions he gave are perfect, one thing I couldn't quite work out was how to get the fan guard off of the original fan.

When you take the fan out you'll want to move the metal fan guard/grill onto your new fan, but it's connected to the existing fan with these little plastic clip things. To get these off look at the inside end where there is a little hollow teardrop shaped end, with an opening through the centre in which you can see like the end of a rod poking through. What you need to do is carefully push something into the hole and then push down on the rod, at which point the top of the screw at the other end will lift up enough for you to pull it out. Don't be tempted to just break these, because you pretty much have to use the same attachments that the original fan uses (you can't use the screws that came with the noiseblocker as it would be impossible to do them up due to their position)

- The PSU fan was much more daunting to replace, especially opening up the PSU. All went as described here, except for me the 2-pin connecter inside the PSU was covered in a white gunky stuff and at first I thought I would have to cut it off or something, but actually with a bit of care the connector came out anyway.

- As described the new fan is much thinner which leaves some big gaps in the PSU once you put it back together. This is useful for trailing the cable from the new fan (I trailed the cable out of the bottom of the unit for what it's worth)... But I wondered if perhaps having such big gaping holes might be a problem for the airflow, so I used a little electrical tape to cover the holes (but please someone do speak up if this is an awful idea!!)

- I also noticed that the first time I put everything back together the PSU fan wasn't spinning up properly (it would twitch for a second then stop), and I found that I had to plug it into one of the black+yellow connectors on the Akasa Molex to 4 3pin to make it work, instead of the black+red connectors (I assumed black+red would be correct as it matched the colour of the fan cables, but apparently not). If anyone can comment on that or whether I've made a mistake there I'd appreciate it

So yep, it's pretty much totally silent now :D I'm very pleased

Associate
uncle rufus:

The black and red gives you 5v, whereas the black and yellow gives 12v. Hence why the fan didn't spin, it wasn't getting enough juice!

I noticed the gap on the PSU but left it open. No signs of any issues, but I haven't monitored temps either.

Fan cage; I didn't try that hard to remove it from the old fan, and as such never put it on the new fan. I just made sure there were no intrusive cables.

Associate
I cut a piece of card and used some electrical tape to cover the gap also, the fan I used was a Noctua nf-4ax10 and connected it to the original fan header in the PSU.
Works fine but its not silent, a lot quieter than the original though.

For the price I may try the fan you guys are using to see if its quieter.

Soldato
uncle rufus:

The black and red gives you 5v, whereas the black and yellow gives 12v. Hence why the fan didn't spin, it wasn't getting enough juice!

I noticed the gap on the PSU but left it open. No signs of any issues, but I haven't monitored temps either.

Fan cage; I didn't try that hard to remove it from the old fan, and as such never put it on the new fan. I just made sure there were no intrusive cables.

Thanks for the info :) good job I double checked whether it was spinning eh?!

I was going to give up on the fan cage but then I started to get paranoid about the cables dangling into the fan

I cut a piece of card and used some electrical tape to cover the gap also, the fan I used was a Noctua nf-4ax10 and connected it to the original fan header in the PSU.
Works fine but its not silent, a lot quieter than the original though.

For the price I may try the fan you guys are using to see if its quieter.

Silent is a bit of an over-statement... it's taken it from audible with headphones on whilst 1m behind me to pretty similar noise levels to my main PC (which is very quiet although technically not quite silent either)

Caporegime
Just a heads up for us owners, windows 8.1 will not install / update from win 8 on these servers with the standard nic enabled. (same goes for server 2012 r2 essentials)

Found this out after trying most of the weekend to install it!!!!

I tried installing by upgrading from windows store, fresh install from DVD and USB and still no joy. It would always hang on the "getting devices ready" and at different points. It got to 25%, 50% and the best i got was 85%, which is weird in itself as you would thought it would stop at the same point all the time.

Anyway after searching the net i stumbled across a few websites (below) and all of them state its the oboard nic, if you disable it in bios, win 8.1 will install but still won't work in windows after installing, after re enabling obviously. It seems to be a known problem for Microsoft and HP and apparently they are working on a fix. Most people seemed to have resorted to using a separate nic card.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...stuck-at/b6126784-1f7c-46ad-aaad-5fe825536508

http://geeklingo.net/windows-server-2012-r2-fails-install-hp-microserver-n36ln40ln54l/

http://homeservershow.com/forums/in...l-server-2012-r2-essentials-on-a-microserver/

If anyone figures it out without the need to buy a seperate card, please post up as i've just forked out for the licence and can't use it!! - i know an extra £10 for £15 for another nic card is not breaking the bank, but these things should be a no brainer and work out the box, plus i've already got a pci slot used by graphics, and i don't want to loose my only remaining slot until i absolutely have to. So at the moment i'll hang fire, see if it gets fixed / figured out.

Cookie

Thought it was just me. Had the same problem both times I installed 8.1; first time round I stripped everything down and it worked (assume NIC was also disabled). The second time I had worked out it was related to the NIC. Useful to know it's a bug though and not a defective NIC.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Thought it was just me. Had the same problem both times I installed 8.1; first time round I stripped everything down and it worked (assume NIC was also disabled). The second time I had worked out it was related to the NIC. Useful to know it's a bug though and not a defective NIC.
So a clean install doesn't work? At what point does it stall? How do you disable the NIC during the install? I want to rebuild my N54L with 2012 R2 and now this is worrying me a bit.

Back
Top Bottom