Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I dont see why using sleep mode should wear the box more than using hibernating/power off/on?

I miss sleep mode on my Windows 7 setup which I hope will be available in a future bios update.
To be clear i didn't say using sleep would wear the box out vs hib/pwr off, that line is missing a comma my bad (gramma, spelling and punctation isn't my strong point).

"Because it's not got a sleep mode as such, to reduce wear on the box you could always use a power off on idle software, and then WOL to bring it back up."

What I meant was because it doesn't support sleep which for some (inc myself) is a pain an alternative would be software, saving additional power on hours when being not actively being used.

Soldato
anyone using ubuntu desktop (latest with all updates) have the issue that pressing the off button does not shut the machine down? currently I jsut unplug the mains from mine as the off button being pressed is ignored by the OS (im sure it did work initially)

Soldato
claim posted: 16/12/2010
claim accepted: 06/01/2011
cheque received: 02/02/2011

Not especially speedy, but I have the check now.

Soldato
If you have 4x2TB are you lot installing the OS on one of them drives?

Or any alternatives? Since this can take an optical drive, we can attach a "OS drive" to that and run from there yea? This is a bit obvious but I cannot find the connection type there, SATA "optical" bay or IDE?

I got to the stage where I was about to buy a Synology unit to run sab etc, although now seeing this I am sorely tempted though im never sure about the software... I Could just run gentoo or something from scratch but I do like the NAS style interfaces of FreeNAS, but then I lose being able to easily add sab and other such stuff (and possibly zoneminder which I am thinking of).

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have 4x2TB are you lot installing the OS on one of them drives?

Or any alternatives? Since this can take an optical drive, we can attach a "OS drive" to that and run from there yea? This is a bit obvious but I cannot find the connection type there, SATA "optical" bay or IDE?

I got to the stage where I was about to buy a Synology unit to run sab etc, although now seeing this I am sorely tempted though im never sure about the software... I Could just run gentoo or something from scratch but I do like the NAS style interfaces of FreeNAS, but then I lose being able to easily add sab and other such stuff (and possibly zoneminder which I am thinking of).

You can put a HDD in the optical bay, you just need a bay converter, OCUK sell them. You will need to get a molex to sata power cable and a SATA cable over 45cm long

Kimbie

Soldato
You can put a HDD in the optical bay, you just need a bay converter, OCUK sell them. You will need to get a molex to sata power cable and a SATA cable over 45cm long

Kimbie

I figured as much, so can run 5 drives.

Where is the 250gb drive put, is it part ofthe 4 docks or put away somewhere else? (effectively making this a 6 drive unit).

Soldato
I figured as much, so can run 5 drives.

Where is the 250gb drive put, is it part ofthe 4 docks or put away somewhere else? (effectively making this a 6 drive unit).

When it comes from HP it is in one of the 4 bays, you can then relocate this up to the top bay.

If you want to make more than a 4 drive array you will ideally need an external SATA card with or without raid, as the port the 5"1/4 plugs into a sort of IDE/SATA port so not a true SATA port.

The drive cage uses a SAS connector so you can only have the 4 drives on there

Kimbie

Soldato
When it comes from HP it is in one of the 4 bays, you can then relocate this up to the top bay.

If you want to make more than a 4 drive array you will ideally need an external SATA card with or without raid, as the port the 5"1/4 plugs into a sort of IDE/SATA port so not a true SATA port.

The drive cage uses a SAS connector so you can only have the 4 drives on there

Kimbie

PCIe SATA was a thought for a later date. Is there any space internally to hack a few more drives in? I read through the thread but very briefly so might have missed any relevant references.

What's the going rate on the cheapest atm? lowest I can find is £259.13 £257.39.

And is anyone running linux distros in ram drives on this unit?

Last edited:
Associate
Very slow transfers on WHS

Has anyone with WHS V1 installed simmelar LAN speeds like Sh4rkie on page 23?

Setup:
OS drive in the top bay, 2 x 2 Tb in the cold swap bays.

LAN speeds on Gigabit network: max 5 MBps
Internal transfers from one folder to another with the file manager in the Home Server Console took 15 minutes and on the old P4 2.0GHz in was just 2 minutes.

AHCI enabled in Bios. NIC set to auto.

I think this box is not suiteble for WHS v1...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom