Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

XL5

XL5

Associate
just a note for those having bios flashing problems I had to remove the HD's from mine (even the stock one) before it would let me flash the bios.

I shall have to try this, I have yet been unsuccessful in updating/flashing.

At the moment I have Intel PCI-E nics in mine, I guess it would be nice to have two gigabit links...

Soldato
Has anyone bought more than one server to create their own home lab? I'm looking to create a test bed where I can setup and configure a number of different scenarios from DC, Exchange, File Server to a cluster of VM hosts. This will all be for home learning with the goal of working towards the MS Server Infrastructure qualification and eventually Virtualisation.

Last edited:
Soldato
Which BIOS is that? I had a quick look at the one I used (the one from "TheBay") and the .ROM name is different...

You know what I am not 100% sure. I seem to have a few with different names.

This link however is for the file directly taken from my USB stick (so is the modded one I used to mod by N54L).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d22ktodfykmuyqi/O41093010.ROM

I remember I renamed it to match the one that the HP software created.

Soldato
Which BIOS is that? I had a quick look at the one I used (the one from "TheBay") and the .ROM name is different...

You know what I am not 100% sure. I seem to have a few with different names.

This link however is for the file directly taken from my USB stick (so is the modded one I used to mod by N54L).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d22ktodfykmuyqi/O41093010.ROM

I remember I renamed it to match the one that the HP software created.

I installed it last night and it's the newest with W8.1 and 2012 R2 support. I forgot to check if it was the modded bios or not though! Mind you, I'm not using the built in sata port at the min so wouldnt know if speed was down. But then hot-swappable HDD's certainly works as I removed and plugged in a few drives without shutting down

Soldato
To be fair if you need a server then cashback or not its worth it, spec up what a machine would cost to build.
If you are only buying one because its a good deal then no, dont get one, if you want a server then if you can find cashback then get it and it makes it a no brainer IMHO..

Associate
Price has crept up again I see.

Back up to £249 :( Still can't make my mind up as to whether or not to get one.

It's still in stock at some retailers with the cashback deal. You need to hurry up about it though as the window ends in 4 days.

Not sure what the rules are about posting links to the deals as it could be considered a competitor...?

But if you go onto HUKD and search for N54L there are a couple of places which have it in stock.

Soldato
Well ******* aren't retail I dont think, we use them at work.
I'm on an N40L at the mo so would rather make a gen jump and go for one of the Gen8 boxes rather than a mildly faster Gen7 unit.
Perhaps I should do that, move the RAM and drives from my Gen7 to the Gen8, then put the drive and RAM that comes with the Gen8 into the Gen7 and then flog it to someone on here that doesnt have one, share the love and all that...

Associate
Also, would this fit in the spare bay http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-005-ID - I want to be able to connect the SSD from the internal SATA(ODD) to this and an eSata to Sata to the 3.5" - The SSD will be permanently in place however it looks this may provide a hot swap for the 3.5

Yes, I have one. You need a eSATA to SATA cable for one of the ports and route it back inside the case (I used the gap above the expansion slots on the back).

Theres a BIOS mod (lots of info in this thread about it) to make the ODD and eSATA ports run at full speed.

You will also need a 1x Molex to 2x SATA power splitter as well.

EDIT: Just realised I'm replying to a couple of weeks old post. Sorry.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh, i'm using the eSATA port for the 6th drive. I was looking at going the DAS route myself, but they're so damn expensive, and with Freenas i'm not sure i'd want to take this little box beyond 6 drives & two shares...

Typical, I went to all the trouble of routing a sata cable from the internal raid card to the top slot and it will not boot with a drive connected to it. No problem with a DAS connected to the eSATA port on the same card though.

So I ended up with 1 SSD connected to the spare internal SATA port, 4 HDDs in the main bay, then a 5 disk DAS connected to the built in eSATA port and a 4 disk DAS (with two populated) connected to the eSATA port on the RAID card.

Temps seem okay so far

MicroserverTemps_zps9db72a3d.jpg

Guess which ones are in the smaller DAS (60cm fan compared to 120mm fan on the bigger one).

Associate
Does anyone think HP will extend their cashback offer from March onwards? I now have the funds for the HP N54L, but with 2 days left on the offer, I'm not sure I'll be able to process the cashback on time. It's a shame as I was looking forward to it.

Associate
The cashback offer has been extended again to March. Now it's just a case of finding the cheapest place to buy it from that still has stock and is part of the HP offer!

Back
Top Bottom