Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
No problems at all here in ACHI mode. Having said that I've not put any PCI-E cards in yet and that's what caused issues with my G7 ML110.

Nutcase - what firmware (BIOS+ILO) and OS are you running?

Last edited:
Associate
I would say yes, although not tried for a while. I have 4x 4TB WD Reds with and without a P222 it makes a right racket :( Shame as no reason for it except dodgy firmware.

Ahh, no difference then.

Its not dodgy firmware as such, its that the iLO cannot read the correct temps from the disks due to not having the HP firmware on the disks, so the fans go mental as the box thinks the drives are roasting.

It was the same with the ML110 G6 but they released a firmware update that stopped this happening.

Associate
Not directly no. You can however put boot loader onto the internal microSD or USB ports and redirect. There are instructions here:
http://homeservershow.com/forums/in...d-in-the-odd-bay-discussion/page-3#entry67539

I did this with Server 2012 R2 Essentials (booting from microSD) and although it did boot and work ok, it would not run server backup. The server backup just started and then stopped after doing nothing with no real indication why it had failed.

In the end I installed a dual port sata card and booted from that and everything (including the server backup) now works fine.

Associate
I've not tried the onboard port, so not sure what speed it runs at. The drive bays are SATA 6Gb on bays 1&2 and SATA 3Gb on bays 3&4. If you are using SSD's, ensure you use bay 1 or 2.

Thanks for the tip Ozymandias. I've got a NIC in my PCI-E port so can't add a SATA card, guess I've have to stick to bays for now.

Associate
Browsed through the homeservershow forums, which is excellent for Microserver questions. From what I understand you can boot from the ODD port without needing the microsd/usb workaround if:
1. Set IDE mode to RAID.
2. Configure individual drives as RAID0.

Again I've not tried it and my server is already running far to many services to play with it, but might be useful to someone setting up a new box.

Soldato
Browsed through the homeservershow forums, which is excellent for Microserver questions. From what I understand you can boot from the ODD port without needing the microsd/usb workaround if:
1. Set IDE mode to RAID.
2. Configure individual drives as RAID0.

Again I've not tried it and my server is already running far to many services to play with it, but might be useful to someone setting up a new box.

There is a negative to running in RAID mode which is that the drives won't spin down when not in use.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Took the plunge, and my Gen 8 arrives tomorrow along with 16GB ram.
4 x 4TB drives Wednesday.
Xeon E3 1230 v2 was ordered from the states (love the exchange rate atm) but I bet the delivery time will suck.

Soldato
how much was 1230v2?

i bought 2 mine in US while ago, because they were crazy cheap.

there was a guy on bay selling 30 of them at really low price, i bought one immediately after he put up the listing as I had alert set up and when I wanted to buy another one about 2 hours later, all remaining 29 were bought by some dude already.

Associate
Very tempted to buy one of these but am a bit concerned about the small amounts of RAM it comes with as standard so I'd want to upgrade. This would only be a test box for me so I don't particularly want to splash out on ECC RAM. I've read conflicting reports about this needing ECC or not, can anyone clarify?

Associate
I think as already mentioned there's a great resource thread (and loads of other useful information) on the HomeServerShow forums: FAQ thread.

Appears it does need non-registered ECC RAM which is about £80 for an 8GB stick or very similar for 2 x 4GB sticks.

Associate
Well after days of deliberating, I've just pulled the trigger on the HP Gen8 Microserver (G1610T), 8GB of Kingston RAM and 2 x 4TB WD RED drives.

I am planning to run it as an UnRAID box and seeing how I get on with it. I've got the option to use the SSD out of my Ubuntu server but I want to see how this runs alongside my existing setup, particularly how it appears I can easily add in an extra 4TB RED drive at a later date. No plans to upgrade the CPU initially becuase I think this might be enough but I would probably just go for the i3-3220T if I did upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom