Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Hi Guys
Switching my 250gb for ssd tonight planning on just unplugging them both and using marcium reflect to clone and then just changing the boot order. Is there anything else I need to do.
Ill be using the ODD sata for the ssd so do I need to do the bios (hacked) upgrade or is it just advised.

Associate
Hi All

Are HP still offering any microservers cheap? When I had a quick gander they were around 300.

They did it last time to clear Gen7 stock (and previously to clear N40 stock when the N54 came out). The Gen8 are still fairly new and carry a price premium over the Gen7's in the first place, so I wouldn't hold out hope of getting a new one for £80 anytime soon like we did with the Gen7's.

Associate
Hi Guys
Switching my 250gb for ssd tonight planning on just unplugging them both and using marcium reflect to clone and then just changing the boot order. Is there anything else I need to do.
Ill be using the ODD sata for the ssd so do I need to do the bios (hacked) upgrade or is it just advised.

I've mentioned before in this thread but the ODD port is not running at full speed unless you use the hacked BIOS. When I added an SSD with the standard BIOS it was amazingly slow. Given how easy it is to update the BIOS from a bootable USB I'd certainly recommend it.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Is it worth getting the Celeron G8 over the G7?

Mine's been upgraded to the 16GB ram, with Ilo running server 2012, but very tempted to go for one of the new ones but not 100% sure if it's worth it.

Associate
[RB];27330168 said:
I've mentioned before in this thread but the ODD port is not running at full speed unless you use the hacked BIOS. When I added an SSD with the standard BIOS it was amazingly slow. Given how easy it is to update the BIOS from a bootable USB I'd certainly recommend it.

Ok thanks ill flash it. Turns out I didnt have a molex to sata power adapter so I just put the ssd in one of the main 4 bays at the moment till I source one.

Associate
Is it worth getting the Celeron G8 over the G7?

Mine's been upgraded to the 16GB ram, with Ilo running server 2012, but very tempted to go for one of the new ones but not 100% sure if it's worth it.

It really depends on what you are doing with your box, if you are limited by CPU or number of cores then yes as you can put a Xeon E3-1230 v2 in there.

It is a much nicer box, dual intel NICs and onboard iLO were the main bonus for me.

Soldato
Any search terms to point folks in the direction of a £115 Gen8? :)

Edit - Never mind, found it. It's on HUKD and the G1610T is priced at £149.95 ex Vat and there is a £35 cashback if claimed before 31st Jan.

Last edited:

GDL

GDL

Associate
It really depends on what you are doing with your box, if you are limited by CPU or number of cores then yes as you can put a Xeon E3-1230 v2 in there.

It is a much nicer box, dual intel NICs and onboard iLO were the main bonus for me.

I added the Ilo and an dual nic to mine so I think I'll wait for them to drop a little more, but the idea of having a 1230 in there rather than using VMware Workstation is very nice :)

Thanks Beavis.

Back
Top Bottom