Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Yes. If you are using the disk controller in RAID mode (which is best) you have to create a logical RAID0 array with just the single disk in it. Data on the disk will be retained.

However I would recommend having a backup - just in case.

Soldato
Yes. If you are using the disk controller in RAID mode (which is best) you have to create a logical RAID0 array with just the single disk in it. Data on the disk will be retained.

However I would recommend having a backup - just in case.

Thanks, I was at that point but I didn't just in case it wiped the drive.

Soldato
Cloned my old and 160GB OS drive over to a dirt cheap SSD for my N54L.

IMG-20150610-WA0008.jpg

Plugged it in and it booted straight up, no need to plug in a monitor and keyboard thankfully!

LOADS quicker now, a vast improvement. Simple things used to take ages, a lot snappier now.

Quite an improvement in speeds now also.

hddvsssd.png

Means I also now have a drive bay free for more storage :D

Soldato
hi guys.

i'm trying to boot from a usb stick to install windows 8.1 onto a usb stick but to no avail. i've tried to google it but found nowt.

can anyone let me know if i need to change anything? i could try a sd card too if thats better

Soldato
yes, i put it in the front usb and tried again and stuck a ssd drive in bay 1. it had a win 7 install on but didn't boot up but windows 8.1 on the usb stick did and then i went to instal it on the ssd drive but asked for the drivers - which i had on another memory stick - followed a guide on home servers site and still didn't recognise them.

i was using a usb 3 16 gig stick in the usb port in side the case. i wanted it to be the boot drive. didn't get recognised in the bios or management system.

the instructions from HP are crap for newbies to servers!

Soldato
i was using a usb 3 16 gig stick in the usb port in side the case. i wanted it to be the boot drive. didn't get recognised in the bios or management system
Was it a Kingston USB 3 stick by any chance? I have had the exact same issue with both Dell servers and HP desktops. The early boot/install process will fail when using a Kingston USB 3 stick in a USB 2 port. However if you use another brand or an older USB 2 stick it works fine.

Soldato
i was looking at a NAS but saw this thread
i am looking at one of these mainly for downloads, itunes server, storage and also to stream to TV, because my mac mini g4 is on its last legs and only as 120gb storage

what would be the cheapest config to do the above?
probably will not need no more that 2TB, 4TB at a push?
could install a small ssd for speed just for the OS?
and what OS/software would you recommend?

The Gen8 package deal on the server - website mentioned before was very good value to be honest.

OCUK do good priced SSDs and whatever OS you're comfortable with. I'm just using a spare Windows 7 Pro licence from my work and runs faultlessly.

Soldato
Is the power socket on the mobo standard?
i.e. if ,in the future,I wanted to transplant the mobo into a larger case so that I could attach a sata/raid card to use more drives would a `normal` psu fit and work?

Soldato
yes, i put it in the front usb and tried again and stuck a ssd drive in bay 1. it had a win 7 install on but didn't boot up but windows 8.1 on the usb stick did and then i went to instal it on the ssd drive but asked for the drivers - which i had on another memory stick - followed a guide on home servers site and still didn't recognise them.

i was using a usb 3 16 gig stick in the usb port in side the case. i wanted it to be the boot drive. didn't get recognised in the bios or management system.

the instructions from HP are crap for newbies to servers!

I just installed Server 2012 onto the gen8 no problem. All I did was to copy the iso to a usb stick with rufus 2.2, then pluged the usb stick into the port on the front of the Gen8.

Then I loaded up the Drive config utility, set my single drive as a raid0 and made sure it was set to be allowed bootable. restart and then the install started automatically.

I made sure I copied the HP drivers for the SATA controller onto the disk. I just put them into a directory on the install usb partition and pointed the install to them when needed and it found the disk and that was it.

Back
Top Bottom