Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I just added mine from the G7

DDR3 8192 MB 1333 MHz 1.5 V UDIMM
DDR3 8192 MB 1333 MHz 1.5 V UDIMM

I can't do that as the RAM i have in the G7 is not ECC, anyway i managed to source 100% compatible RAM from the river.

Anyone need any Google KTH-PL316E/8G

Last edited:
Soldato
I've ordered one of those schoondoggy drive mount and cd-rom mounts for my gen8. But as it was the same price shipping for 1 of each or 4 of each I went for all 4 so if anyone wants a pair I'll be selling them at cost when I get them to help people out who want to add more drives.

Soldato
Bit off topic, but did you guys recently download esxi from vmware ? I've registered, got an evaluation key for it, but the download links / download manager button just don't work.

There are a stupid number of hoops you seem to have to jump through just to try it out.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Bit off topic, but did you guys recently download esxi from vmware ? I've registered, got an evaluation key for it, but the download links / download manager button just don't work.

There are a stupid number of hoops you seem to have to jump through just to try it out.

I've had this when using another browser other than IE.

GDL

GDL

Associate
No worries, happy to help you out.

Just got home and upgraded the little old box, she might get a little warm but heh it's cheap.

Old CPU.
OldCPU_zps70cv3puc.jpg

New CPU
NewCPU_zpshnk82ona.jpg

Temps of 10mins running Prime95.
Temps_zpsv65olguy.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Tempted to pick one of these to upgrade my older gen one (can't remember the name, the AMD black one).
I use it as a freenas box for my Intel NUC ESXi environment however would make a nice host also :)

Caporegime
A few questions:

Does anyone have this Gen 8 g1610t (the one with cashback atm) who can comment on the noise in comparison to the older ones? My N36 and N54 seem the same volume to me.

Is the processing power difference big between this and the N54L? Finally, does it have some increased fan speed when using PCI cards (like a half height HDMI card) or did I read that in the other thread about the Proliant tower server?

rp2000

GDL

GDL

Associate
The noise is on par with the Gen7 personally, or just slightly quieter.

I've only ever heard mine if it's been in the same room and there's been no background noise, or I've sat next to it.

GDL

GDL

Associate
Depends on where you want the drive to go?

You can't put a single drive in the top bay of the Gen8 without it being in raided or using a PCI SATA card.

If it's in one of the four bays, you could do it as windows would just download the drivers for the new one, but it's not ideal and would cause the windows license to be re-validated.

GDL

GDL

Associate
It gave it a little more grunt over the stock and it's cheap enough to do.

I noticed that it helps with video playback and transcoding so if it's a Plex box.. Go for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom