1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by dragonuk, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Bossk128

Wise Guy

Do you rip as ISO or episodes? I find the track selection (on BR) and episode renaming takes the longest! 60 a day is good work.

2. Trig

Mobster

What array setup do you have?

3. bulletv1

Hitman

I use MakeMKV and take each episode. Not bothering with compresson as i was losing soo much quality even though it's 'only' DVD.

I'm using the SHR in synology. VM image is held on an SSD and the the stoare drives are mounted using RDM.

4. ANDARIAL

Soldato

HP cashback deal back on till end of the month :)
    Couldn't resist :D
    Got a second one

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. OldCoals

Capodecina

My ML110 GS has packed up and I am mulling over buying the Gen8 G1610T, how do they compare?

6. Powmow

Associate

Hey mate, I'm having the exact same problem, how did you get on with the reset?

7. OldCoals

Capodecina

is there anything I can do to quieten the fan in the G1610T, it is really loud!

8. Xinn

Mobster

Have a Google around, there are a few guide on replacing the PSU fan which seems to be the main culprit of the noise.

9. OldCoals

Capodecina

It is quiet during boot, but right now, the server is idle and it has really ramped up.

10. ANDARIAL

Soldato

Had my new Gen8 delivered yesterday,updated ILO etc
    BUT some muppet at the factory fitted phillips screws in the hdd caddys instead of the torx ones that the supplied tool fits :( lol
    Fan should not be that loud my new one runs at around 10% at idle and my other one loaded with disks is at 12%

11. bulletv1

Hitman

Heard of that before. Just checked it on a HP forum and it say's

"This works as designed. While B120i/B320i is in use, HP’s driver provides storage thermal info to iLO and it controls the fan speed precisely. However if B120i/B320i is disabled, driver from Operation System or chipset manufacturer is used and these drivers do not update iLO with thermal information. Therefore, iLO will use the backup thermal solution to set the fan speed at a safe speed which results higher fan speed and noise level."

Are you using the raid card?

12. OldCoals

Capodecina

I have an SSD connected to the B120i and 4 HDD's connected via a PCI Raid Card.

It is silent now, running Server 2012r2.

I have changed nothing though, oh well. :D

13. Snapshot

Mobster

I have a similar setup running WHS2011 and it howls for a couple of minutes then becomes quiet once the OS loads. Do you have the B120i in AHCI mode?

14. egraphixstudios

Gangster

Was looking into getting a micro server but then got a DL360 G7 for £100 more and rack mounted it.

15. Clark Nova

Mobster

Got my Microserver yesterday. Spent the evening installing Centos 7 to boot from a USB stick from the internal slot. Chucked four 2TB WD Red drives into it in a software RAID 5.

It's running Plex now, a nice upgrade over the Raspberry Pi Plex server with a 2TB USB attached disk. Looks like the Pi will become the new backup server maybe.

16. chenko

Mobster

Take care with using such large disks in RAID5, since you have more chance of a failed rebuild as the size increases. This is worse on hardware controllers that can sometimes give up entirely as soon as it fails to read from another drive, software tends to carry on leaving you with most the data plus some unrecoverable parts.

I'm guessing you're using md(adm) and honestly I don't know how it handles this.

17. Mp4

Sgarrista

Well ive had my Gen8 G1610T MicroServer in its box for over a year now :(

how is it looking these days?

Really want to get the Xpenology setup and have it automated to backblaze.

have 0 drives for it too :( W&D RED still the way to go?

have been half tempted to sell the case and get a synology but thats £500 for a 4 bay!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  18. nutcase

Sgarrista

This. I'd recommend using a non-parity RAID or at the very least RAID 6 with anything over 1TB disks.

19. Clark Nova

Mobster

I've currently got less than 1TB of data stored so it's not like I need the extra space affforded by the RAID 5. What do you think about RAID 10 vs RAID 6? Bear in mind that I'll be running an overnight rsync to backup differences to another 2TB disk on another system, so any loss of data can be recovered from backup anyway.

20. nutcase

Sgarrista

My preference is always RAID 10 unless there's a good reason otherwise. You've only got the 4 bays, but you do already have the 4 disks so budget is not relevant, but storage capacity may be. You've got under 1TB at present, but how is that likely to change over the life of the disks/device? Having said that, over 4 disks RAID 6 and 10 give the same capacity , so you're down to performance and how many drives you can lose before the array is toast. 10 eats 6 for breakfast performance wise, but 6 can handle 2 disk failures. 10 can handle at least 1 - if another one fails from the same pair it's toast, if one fails from the other pair you've got RAID 0 :)

So - performance or potential reliability is the decision.