Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Nope you're right - I got my numbers right for the schoondoggy bracket, but mentally pictured 8... :rolleyes: Sleep deprivation strikes again

I reckon 11 if you have the optical drive is good enough for most people, its a sea of cables though which wont help cooling for those running a hotter CPU.

I'm going to put a pair of old laptop spinners on my SDM to bring that up to 4 drives then have a play using an old Gen7 chassis and an adaptor to get 4 more external 3.5" running, I don't need the space but its something to do just for testing really...

Associate
Getting one of these delivered tomorrow. After years of thinking will I won't I finally thought why not.

Will have to Beef it up though.

Buying as a study Box

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I recently sold an E3-1265L v2 for £300 -- I actually made a profit on a 3 year-old computer part!! I think that was the one and only time in my lifetime that that is ever going to happen.

Associate
I've just done the silencing steps below and wow! Didn't think it would have made that much of a difference. All I can hear are the HDD's

order your noiseblocker hp microserver silencer kit here at clockers for ~ £18

one of these

with this (I had a 7v spare)

and one of these

The nosiest fan is by far the 40mm psu fan, this is very easy to replace:

1: remove the screws at the back of the case (3 from memory)
2: cut the cable ties holding the psu cables together with the chassis
3: disconnect the 20/24 pin header
4) disconnect the molex cables
5) slide the psu out of the font
6) remove the cover on the psu (4 screws)
7) remove the 2 screws holding the 40mm to the psu
8) disconnect the 2 pin connecter the fan connects to the psu
9) place the 40mm noise blocker (it is much thinner than the hp fan so you can trail and connect it to a molex)

the 120mm fan:
1) use the allan key to remove the 4 fan screws
2) disconnect the header from the board
3) trail the cable out to the top
4) slide the fan up and out
5) remove the grill from the hp fan to the noise blocker
6) the noise blocker is a 3 pin fan, when connecting it connect to the 1st 3 pins facing the front, you'll need to shave the blip of the fan cable header as below:

ENJOY THE SILENCE

mkqewh8.jpg

a2tLbo0.jpg

as you are using a 3 pin fan, it will constantly stay at the same speed (900rpms iirc, more than enough than the minimum
~ 500 the microserver requires)

Back
Top Bottom